S3 rattle and gear select problem

AtiJe

Reaction score
I’m having a significant manual gearbox rattle, mostly noisy at lower speeds but it does slightly knock/tap when standstill. It doesn’t come and go it’s constant, you can basically hear as the whole gearbox running dry (it has oil). It also really struggles to get into first and reverse sometimes as well as coming out of it, only when the engine is running. It does have a rather high bite. I've bled the clutch but it didn't help. I am also unsure if it is a standard clutch or someone has put in a SMF. To add I am not sure if it would be connected but the transfer box has basically melted and grinded all its teeth off, after replacing it, still has a rattle. Could anyone suggest anything to look at first before looking into a new DMF and putting a new box in?

Whilst it won’t help the rattle it would be worth checking that the gear change cables are adjusted correctly to eliminate that from the gear selection problems. More likely to be clutch drag as you say it is more when the engine is running.
could be time for a new clutch if that is the case.
Midland VW have developed a hybrid clutch using a standard dmf, a diesel friction plate and an RS3 8P pressure plate. Good clamping pressure with an OE feel.