S3 rather than the R

S32B

Reaction score
Just curious as to why people went for the S3 over the R32!

For me I thought that the inside of the Audi looks way nicer, the VW seemed a bit plasticky.
Any yes those four rings on the grill :kissmyrings: just look better than VW.

I've also found that the Audi sales are much more attentive than others, can you believe I went-saw-looked-test drove a BMW, then sent them an email to ask when is the best time to come in and order it....and almost two weeks on I was still waiting for a reply! So far any questions I've asked Audi via email have been answered within a few hours!

I have since sent BMW this:

Hi Andrew, just thought I'd let you know what has happened.

We've just been away for a few days and whilst away we saw a black three door A3 in the hotel car park that looked nice. So on the way home my wife persuaded me to call into our local Audi dealer to have a look, it was there that we saw the three door S3. The guy we spoke to arranged for a test drive today, all I can say is that I was blown away by the car and my wife prefered it over the Z4 saying that it was more practical, so unfortunately for you & BMW I've now placed my order for the S3 for March delivery.

I thought it only right to let you know so that you can delete me from your system.

Regards
Steve

Can't see him replying to that lol :) I should have also sent one to his boss telling him why he lost the sale!

Reactions: RAPS3, J6YAK, Sandra and 2 others
Sorry my bad should just be R not R32...can't see the edit key!!! Can a mod change it please?

Funny I was wondering why anyone would choose a mk5 golf (last of the r-32's) over an 8V S3 lol.

For us it was simple, the S3 came in a sedan form, the Golf R doesn't.

Plus the interior of the S3 looks so much nicer and modern compared to the R, and you can't get the better mmi screen here in Aust.

Yeah I went to look at an R they day I ordered my S3 ..... the saloon just looks amazing.

I intended to compare S3 to the R personally, but went to the Audi dealer first - didn't bother going to see the VW :)

Reactions: A3_Rider and The Challinor
I think sales emails are not priority for sales people chasing customers in the show room, don't be too harsh on them.

When I went to look at the R I was informed I could test drive one if I paid 34k for the used one in the showroom with a dead battery, otherwise it would be months for a test drive. When I left the branch I saw their other branch (few miles away) taking a test drive of the R despite me being told there are none in any part of the country.

Went to Audi, got in the S3 within a minute and felt so much more refined. If you want a cheaper (on lease) deal with good performance get the R, if you want to be in a nice place with power at the ready get the S3.

Reactions: ABYSS
Started a similar thread on detailing would. S3 also has the bonus of not being caught up in the leasegate scandal

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Because golf r's will be worth about £3.60 once all the 2 year lease deals end. Most of the s3's on here are owned outright or on a pcp not a pch so future value is something to consider

True, can't imagine the number of R's on the road 24 months from now. I suppose R32 fans will upgrade/return to the R platform.

I think sales emails are not priority for sales people chasing customers in the show room, don't be too harsh on them.

When I went to look at the R I was informed I could test drive one if I paid 34k for the used one in the showroom with a dead battery, otherwise it would be months for a test drive. When I left the branch I saw their other branch (few miles away) taking a test drive of the R despite me being told there are none in any part of the country.

Went to Audi, got in the S3 within a minute and felt so much more refined. If you want a cheaper (on lease) deal with good performance get the R, if you want to be in a nice place with power at the ready get the S3.

I dealt with Audi Watford and the only time I went there was to pick up the car, so the negotiation/order/spec/payment all happened remotely. I really liked that buying experience and to be honest have no intention of ever visiting a dealer after the test drive.

VW dealers - never had a great experience and the golf, well, it's a VW. I don't like the look of it either and the interior isn't a patch on the S3. That's why I didn't get the R, but I did test drive one and did do the math with the sales guy - it was a useful exercise to avoid the 'what if' syndrome one can get after ordering a new car... good car the golf R though, but for reasons stated, no thanks.

Incidentally, I have seen more new golf R's than I have new S3's on the road.... a lot more! Mostly being driven by ugly fat middle women as well. Must be something in that?! LOL!

I saw my first S3 today on the road since ordering mine on Monday....I just couldn't help but smile....it just looks so classy!