S3/Quattro Rear Suspension Torque Specs???

S3Imola_Alex

Reaction score
I have just changed the rear dampers and drop links on my S3 and can't find anywhere the torque settings for:

The bolt that attaches the top of the damper to the body of the car.
The bolt that attaches the bottom of the damper and bottom of the drop link to the hub.

I did manage to find out the setting for the drop link to ARB, which i believe is 15 Nm. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have searched all the available online manuals and as many forums as possible. I know I can get elsawin but not sure if it works on a mac. I have the Haynes manual but that doesn't cover the S3/quattro so the rear suspension is different.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

I was told to do the bottom bolt up as tight as I could and then tighter after a drive.

Hmm, i just dont want to over tighten.

So far they are done to 60Nm but not sure if they need to go tighter. I dont want to compress the rubber bushes too much and either reduce their effectiveness or cause them to wear out quicker.

If you don't get any joy today I'll have a look on Elsawin for you when I get home from work

If you could Warren that'd be great. At least ill have peace of mind when throwing it round the corners!

No worries Alex, if you think of anymore you need let me know

I don't think 60NM for the bottom bolt is anywhere nearly enough (I thought I read 145NM) - the bolt should not be touching any rubber bush - it is on the drop link metal sleeve.

145NM seems like an awful lot. My Haynes says the wheel bolts should only be 120NM...

I'd rather have them done up as tight as possible but there is a point when too tight is just as bad as too loose.

I assume the front torque settings on a FWD A3 are the same as the S3, if so then i think I'm ok for everything else @warren9022

Bolt number 1 - 60nm (Replace after removing)
Bolt number 6 - 110nm (Replace after removing)
Nut number 5 - 25nm (Replace after removing)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_6682.JPG
    IMG_6682.JPG
    662 KB · Views: 946
Reactions: Alex C and S3Imola_Alex
...well I got one right! Thank you so much for that Warren I can drive in peace now!! Much appreciated.

No worries, if you ever need any thing else let me know and I'll have a look for you

thanks mate will definitely take you up on that offer when the time comes!

Just be careful using the torque settings for a standard A3, I don't think many of the torque settings crossover to the S3 with everything being upgraded.