1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Facelift S3 project.

ianh Oct 18, 2020 at 12:25 PM

1. ianh

ianh Registered User

Thought I would start a thread with a new project in the hope that with all the knowledge and technical know how on here I can gain some help with the repairs.

I am a mechanic up in manchester of 40 years but I am limited on my electrical skills or vcds programming/fault finding.

Anyhow with all this pandemic going on and with business quite a bit quieter than I like I thought I would buy a car that needed some work doing on it to keep me occupied and went to view a 2017 Audi s3 saloon with 625 miles only from new,it is a australian import and unregistered in the uk,it was described as fire damaged. (It would be amazing if someone from oz reads this and recognises it’s there old car and could throw some light on its history as I don’t have any and can only guess at what’s happened and when)

On viewing I was surprised at how little damage there actually is,there was no bumper on it or bumper wiring and at first glance no obvious damage to anywhere else.

Due to the mileage being so low I realise it’s quite a unique vehicle realy and well worth taking a chance on,so I negotiated a reasonable price and had it delivered.

can’t find a build sticker with the options on but it does seem well equipped ,found a date of build sticker that says October 2016 so unsure why the seller had it listed as 10/2017,maybe a misprint!

I will have to register it but think I need to have a Iva test done first and can’t do that till it’s all repaired and running sweet,so anyone knows about Iva test or registering a vehicle shout up please :)

Here’s some photos from the advert for now.
    If this is the wrong section I apologise.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    Audi Bairn and Alan66 like this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. CanadaA3wales

CanadaA3wales Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP

IVA test is £200.00 for this car, thats all I cant tell you.
    Once its done I am unsure if they just give you a V5 or if you mail to the DVLA with the IVA cert and they give you a V5 doc.
    You can give Audi the VIN number and they can tell you when it was first registered, regardless of where it was built or sold.
    I am sure Aus Audi will give you the details as well if you email them with the vehicle docs and proof of ownership.

ianh likes this.
  4. ianh

ianh Registered User

I have been online to Australia Audi and there’s not actually a email address,there’s only a contact us form and when I inputted all my details it wouldn’t send because my postcode is uk not Australia,I was expecting the Iva to be around the £200 mark.
    Not got any documents so haven’t got proof of ownership,the only document I have is the customs clearance nova certificate.
    I have emailed Audi uk for coc certificates and have asked if they could provide any info regards the car,but not holding my breath for a reply!
    I rang Bolton Audi to enquire about Audi connect not working and when I try to register it it says contact your trading partner (Bolton Audi) to confirm proof of ownership,so rang them and had to explain myself to the receptionist only for her to tell me no ones available and they will call me back..........5 days later still waiting.

5. ianh

ianh Registered User

Once I got the car home I started to order bits I would need,that’s where the problem starts,most used parts available are for hatchbacks and pretty sure they must be different,so start to look at various websites for diagrams and the only exploded parts diagram I can find online is USA or Germany and even then it only goes up to 2016!anyhow I have been going off These first 2 photos.
    So I source a wiring loom in Lithuania for 6 sensor bumper as this one has lane assist and side assist etc.sourced a bumper which isn’t pre drilled for sensors so ordered a cutting tool.
    Sourced 2 used modules for the side assist,exact same part numbers as the ones taken off.
    I did notice that the keyless lock doesnt work and vcds says it’s rear bumper kessy Ariel,I have tried to find info out and can’t find zilch,the only thing I have found reference to it is a eBay advert in America for a pair with brackets,so I have ordered them and whilst I am waiting delivery I will try and find out how they are wired in as there’s no sign of any spare connectors on the new loom I have.
    So if anyone has a wiring diagram or can advise where and even if it should have these sensors I would appreciate it.

Attached Files:

6. ianh

ianh Registered User

The other thing I noticed is that reverse camera is missing?took the trim of the boot and the wires been cut at the connectors so I think someone has changed the boot lid,that’s the trouble with not knowing history,everything’s guesswork,I have ordered a camera and from what I can gather there’s a fibre optic in the cable which can’t be repaired,so I have ordered a new loom for the camera from kufatec and may have to replace all the wires for that.I am beginning to wonder wether the kessy antennae wires are amongst this lot and the antennae fastens in the boot?anyone know for sure?

Attached Files:

7. ianh

ianh Registered User

After having a good luck underneath the car the fire was confined to the bumper area only,it doesn’t seem to have touched the main loom in the car going to the back bumper although the grommet is burned,the exhaust valves show a little bit of heat damage yet things like shockers and diff still has part stickers on and all looks like new........suppose that’s the benefit of a Australian car,our British weather hasn’t started to corrode everything.

Attached Files:

8. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Judging by them photos the optional extras on the car are SS seats,extended leather....ie in the arm rests/side of centre consul,pan roof,Tech pack including the VC,upgraded alloys,Matrix headlights....S3's in Oz are specified differently from the UK in that they add larger option packs and virtually no individual options,the extended leather was not available with Black SS seats in the UK,only available in the UK with the Red design pack at £895 the stitching was in red

Audi Bairn and ianh like this.
  9. ianh

ianh Registered User

That’s interesting as I just noticed that the floor mats have red stitching?

10. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Floor mats with red stitching were standard on all S3 's mate....you've got a very well optioned car the saloon comes standard with 19s the alloys fitted to your car where a £300 optional extra in the UK
    Rear camera £395
    Super sport seats £795
    Pano roof £1095
    Technology package ie Virtual Cockpit £995
    Matrix headlights £895
    Extended leather £295*
    It should have the Bang&Olufsen surround sound system £695
    Power folding doir mirrors £295

ianh likes this.
  11. ianh

ianh Registered User

Yes,it has the b&o speakers with lighting bars,also a nice little Quattro puddle lamp projection feature,maybe UK standard that though.thanks for the info.

Audi Bairn and jassyo06 like this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Your welcome says me the Audi 8v S3 anorak lol

14. ianh

ianh Registered User

Haha,you are bang on with the extras though,managed to take snaps of a parts vin search and got these.

Attached Files:

Audi Bairn and jassyo06 like this.