S3 problem already?

rams_s3

Reaction score
My cars done 1000 miles now and for a while I've noticed when dropping down gears quickly i.e 3rd to 4th at speed, there is a slight

hesitation in the power delivery almost like the turbo doesn't boost straight away and there's a slight gap. Anyone else felt this? Also

tonight when pulling off my drive in 1st there was another glitch almost like a misfire. Going to ring audi and play hell tomorrow just

wondered if anyone else had felt any abnormal behaviour?

Ahh just noticed it's an s3 as well. I've not felt my 1.8 Tiptronic isn't driving quite the same lately.

Both our Z4 3.0i and our mk5 GTi cough and are generally not that happy on 95 - flushing a couple of tanks of 97/98 through and then continuing to use it works for them.

i presume you're using vower or super unleaded?

I doubt not using it would cause a miss fire because it's not compulsory. I've not used any and no problems on 6k.

My mate has a manual and says he has noticed the odd bit of lag

it can take a few tankfuls of 98 to get the engine used to it (advances the timing slightly as it listens for knock) but then as soon as you stick 95 in it pegs it right back again.

Given the cool intake temps at this time of year I'd expect these cars to be in their element. I drove the dealer car which they'd kindly filled with 95RON :keule: and it still felt punchy.

If your getting a misfire either there is a problem with combustion (spark plugs /coil packs / fuel supply), or if it's not coming on boost then check DV, MAF or boost control valve. They should be able to get a diagnosis fairly quickly, but don't write anything out.

I had a faulty spark plug that I had to change myself as Audi refused change them or accept spark plugs fail inside 60k (I'd done 8k miles). I bought some from their service department and fitted them the same afternoon and the car was fixed. They'd had the car 3 days and not diagnosed it (even with R8 master tech chipping in). I was livid and haven't used them since. No error code = no fault in their mind, couldn't care less you've bought a mid £30k 'S' car and want it to run well. Attitude was bring it back when it's broke and we'll try and fix it! Goodbye Audi, hello Independent service network.

Best of luck getting it fixed chap, real shame to have any issues at this early stage.

Reactions: T-800 and s3_trev
It's not lag, it does have some lag admittedly but it's a more of a 'miss'. To be fair it could just be me been weird but I still want to get it checked.

Interesting what you say about the 98/95 surely the ecu switches straight away? I'll try tomorrow as I've got a bit of a journey to do so ill brim it with v-power and see how it goes.

ECU's build up a data store and don't switch instantaneously, they take a short period to go through what's called 'adaptation'.

Always recommend you choose one fuel and stick with it otherwise ECU is constantly having to adapt itself.

Use 98 when tank is pretty much empty, fill it about 10 quid, then let your fuel light turn on, then go for a full tank of 98, disconnect/unplug the battery so the car resets... that's when you will notice the difference....

I've tried it myself and worked absolutely perfect, I did it for my 1.8 tfsi as I notice the car had lack of power on gear shifting and asked loads of mechanics... Anyway this method worked for me...
Hope it helps :)

I've just been looking back through my petrol receipts (save them as self employed) and I've put normal 95 Ron in for last few petrol stops various £20's and £10's so surely it should be set to 95ron now I'll have covered at least 150 miles on 95 that should be enough for the ecu to learn or is it not that clever/quick?

Hey sorry cant really help much but if I had just bought a spankers new s3 I wouldnt even consider running it on 95. I run my 8P on 98 (at least). Maybe try a few tankfuls of 98 and see how you go? Hope you get it sorted mate.

Reactions: s3dave
Thanks. Yeah that seems to be everyone's thoughts so give that a go before having the hard word, audi hate me already lol!

S3 manual here and never get misfires or lag for that matter, id see your dealer asap.

Good to see you back m8!

Given the cool intake temps at this time of year I'd expect these cars to be in their element. I drove the dealer car which they'd kindly filled with 95RON :keule: and it still felt punchy.

If your getting a misfire either there is a problem with combustion (spark plugs /coil packs / fuel supply), or if it's not coming on boost then check DV, MAF or boost control valve. They should be able to get a diagnosis fairly quickly, but don't write anything out.

I had a faulty spark plug that I had to change myself as Audi refused change them or accept spark plugs fail inside 60k (I'd done 8k miles). I bought some from their service department and fitted them the same afternoon and the car was fixed. They'd had the car 3 days and not diagnosed it (even with R8 master tech chipping in). I was livid and haven't used them since. No error code = no fault in their mind, couldn't care less you've bought a mid £30k 'S' car and want it to run well. Attitude was bring it back when it's broke and we'll try and fix it! Goodbye Audi, hello Independent service network.

Best of luck getting it fixed chap, real shame to have any issues at this early stage.

Reactions: warren_S5
Cars booked in for Wednesday should be back for Thursday they reckon, wonder if they'll find anything!

Update on the misfire problem, sales manager who I deal with at Huddersfield rang me in a conference call with the master technician. He was very confident he didn't need to see the car and the problem was down to mixing fuels. He reckoned 95 is no good for them and shouldn't be recommended to be used even though audi do say it's ok. Told me to fill up using only shell fuels from now on he said he's seen proof (don't know where) that shell is noticeably the best 98ron or above. Going to use my car to 0 miles remaining and brim it with lovely v-power and see how it goes.

Hudds Audi told me to use VPower (I do anyway, and always did on my 8P S3) when I collected it. Car is strong as an ox on it!

They have shares in shell by looks of it then

Reactions: Silky-S3
Got to admit on my old car it drove better on shell vpower than it did on tesco99

It had a decat and custom exhaust and used to bang like bang on vpower absolutely loved it

But octane rating is not about the calorific value of the fuel; it's about burn speeds. High RON burns slower (and hence cleaner) and can also withstand higher compression before detonation.

Why phone the Dealer up and 'give them hell'?
It's not their fault and apparently up to now they don't know you have a problem.

You can be firm but be fair too. Or you might find being pleasant to them may actually produce a more sympathetic ear.

Why phone the Dealer up and 'give them hell'?
It's not their fault and apparently up to now they don't know you have a problem.

You can be firm but be fair too. Or you might find being pleasant to them may actually produce a more sympathetic ear.

Because I don't pay £30,000+ to have a car that doesn't run right, also had a very long list of problems with the dealership regarding altering agreed payments by a few £ each month after a deal has been verbally agreed, then forgetting to charge me for my gap insurance, then the radio stopping working, a headlight misting up....that's why

what utter rubbish! spark plugs can fail at any time

Update on the misfire problem, sales manager who I deal with at Huddersfield rang me in a conference call with the master technician. He was very confident he didn't need to see the car and the problem was down to mixing fuels. He reckoned 95 is no good for them and shouldn't be recommended to be used even though audi do say it's ok. Told me to fill up using only shell fuels from now on he said he's seen proof (don't know where) that shell is noticeably the best 98ron or above. Going to use my car to 0 miles remaining and brim it with lovely v-power and see how it goes.

What a load of old flannel. I've run my last three S & RS Audis on 95 many times over. Zero problems. Of course better to use higher octane, but when I pull into a petrol station I can't always get to the pump I want, so rather than wait an age. I just fill up with the lesser fuels. I had a misfire on my last S3 SB and that was down to a spark plug. When I first took it to the dealer they told me the same crap as they have you. They must think we're total mugs to come up with such BS. As for only using Shell V power... again, what a load of ********.

Reactions: hopeless, titleist007, 0B1001001 and 2 others
The sales manage at Huddersfield is talking out of his bottom. 95 ron is fine but the ECU will probably ****** the timing so avoid detonation with the lower octane. the most effect you should ever see is a drop off of performance. No hesition or misfires.
You have comprehensively been fobbed off.

Get them to check the fault codes and replace the plugs FOC as a minimum.

I hate garages/dealerships treating people like this.

Stand your ground and be firm but polite but insist they sort it.
Hope its gets sorted.

Oh, and yes a plug can fail under 60 but it ****** well shouldnt.

The sales manage at Huddersfield is talking out of his bottom. 95 ron is fine but the ECU will probably ****** the timing so avoid detonation with the lower octane. the most effect you should ever see is a drop off of performance. No hesition or misfires.
You have comprehensively been fobbed off.

Get them to check the fault codes and replace the plugs FOC as a minimum.

I hate garages/dealerships treating people like this.

Stand your ground and be firm but polite but insist they sort it.
Hope its gets sorted.

Oh, and yes a plug can fail under 60 but it ****** well shouldnt.

Yeah I agree that's why today I've phoned up and told them I want them to take it in and at least make sure everything is as it should be. I've driven my dads 8p s3 today his is s tronic as oppose to manual but his felt like it had more pull when accelerating not sure if the 8v is smoother that's why it doesn't feel as raw but I'm not 100% so want it checking.