S3 Pre Face-lift vs Face-lift opinion

Joxh

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I'm after an S3 saloon at the minute and I can't decide on which of the two to get. Wanting to know people's opinions and if anyone went from a pre Face-lift to Face-lift. I know the pre Face-lift has the 6 speed dsg and I'm wondering if it's just as good as the 7 speed in my friends 245 vRS octavia. Is one more reliable than the other? (I wouldn't be getting one with a opf filter for sure). Thanks.

Hi everyone, so I'm after an S3 saloon at the minute and I can't decide on which of the two to get. Wanting to know people's opinions and if anyone went from a pre Face-lift to Face-lift. I know the pre Face-lift has the 6 speed dsg and I'm wondering if it's just as good as the 7 speed in my friends 245 vRS octavia. Is one more reliable than the other? (I wouldn't be getting one with a opf filter for sure). Thanks.

Surely if you can afford a newer car you’d get newer? I wouldn’t buy a 2015 car if I could afford a 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimmyMcGee and Ron240
@jassyo06 is a good one to ask, he went PFL hatch to FL saloon.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, wab172uk and Joxh
Surely if you can afford a newer car you’d get newer? I wouldn’t buy a 2015 car if I could afford a 2017.

It's more the case of if it's worth the increase in price. If I got a Face-lift it'd be out of date come next year with the new S3 saloon due to be released

No major changes. It's a facelift with a few minor mechanical changes.

Reactions: Joxh
I never had a pre face lift tbh, but I went for a face lift because they have quite a few upgrades that perhaps seem small individually, but added together seem like they are worth having imo.
7 spd dsg box 310 ps and 400nm, better fuel economy, revised haldex, louder exhaust etc etc, and for me it just looks a little nicer with the revised bumpers. I did read the facelift had aluminium front panels to save weight but I dont know if this is right.?
Is there a full list of differences between them anywhere on here ?

Reactions: Joxh
It's more the case of if it's worth the increase in price. If I got a Face-lift it'd be out of date come next year with the new S3 saloon due to be released
Or just wait a few months and the price of the FL will drop when the new car is out!

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I went from the S3 sportback pre face lift to the S3 Saloon face lift, its
The Dsg 7 speed box that makes the most difference making it far more responsive in ever way,fuel consumption is slightly better due to the seventh gear
Exhaust sound is far better,virtual cockpit brings the dashboard up to date

Reactions: Audi Bairn, T-800 and TYb
FL has better looks, nicer steering wheel, better MMI but worse sat nav control and some trim items cheaper.
If you want Blue - PFL Estoril or Sepang, FL Navarra or Ara
FL - black edition available - plus bright yellow.
I've never driven the 7 speed but I found the 6 speed S Tronic was slow and dim-witted.
All down to personal preference of course.
As far a price, PFL and FL will probably get closer as the cars get older.

FL has better looks, nicer steering wheel, better MMI but worse sat nav control and some trim items cheaper.
I've never driven the 7 speed but I found the 6 speed S Tronic was slow and dim-witted.
Not sure about the nicer steering wheel. The PFL had the smooth leather wheel which was only available on the S models. This was a nice touch, and much better than the current S-Line wheel you get in the FL S3.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Everything will be out of date if you wait long enough.....but is anything ever actually worth the increase in price? It's usually about desirability with the more desirable being newer.....so then that leads to affordability.
Facelift models generally offer a number of visual changes which improve on the original after the manufacturer has had a few years to think about it.
Perfect example and I owned both - Mk.3 Focus ST released in 2012 then the facelift in 2015. The latter is a far superior car and visually much more striking, so the only reason a buyer would choose the former today would be price.
The brand new Mk.4 Focus ST is certainly not the prettiest, so leaves plenty of scope for the facelift 3 years down the line. Cynics will say when a new model is launched the facelift is already pre planned. ;)

To answer your question....the facelift S3 Saloon is the more desirable car, but only you can decide if the extra cost is justified.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
I’ve got a PFL but had it from new and still love it. To be honest there the same car really apart from the bumpers etc but depends on what you what at the end of the day.

Oh and manuals are better by far hahahaha.

Everything will be out of date if you wait long enough.....but is anything ever actually worth the increase in price? It's usually about desirability with the more desirable being newer.....so then that leads to affordability.
Facelift models generally offer a number of visual changes which improve on the original after the manufacturer has had a few years to think about it.
Perfect example and I owned both - Mk.3 Focus ST released in 2012 then the facelift in 2015. The latter is a far superior car and visually much more striking, so the only reason a buyer would choose the former today would be price.
The brand new Mk.4 Focus ST is certainly not the prettiest, so leaves plenty of scope for the facelift 3 years down the line. Cynics will say when a new model is launched the facelift is already pre planned. ;)

To answer your question....the facelift S3 Saloon is the more desirable car, but only you can decide if the extra cost is justified.

Exactly....
Also Face lift cars are Pre Planned l think so...anyways.As for the New Focus ST....Ford have held back on the styling....all because of the RS version ....

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Ron240 and MikeParkin

The rs3 doesn’t move u TIL you put your foot to the ground. 10/20/30/40/50/60% throttle, nothing. Foot to the floor, go.

Not sure about the nicer steering wheel. The PFL had the smooth leather wheel which was only available on the S models. This was a nice touch, and much better than the current S-Line wheel you get in the FL S3.
I don't mind the perforated leather but thought the bigger airbag in the middle of the PFL wheel was plug ugly.
If the launch of the replacement A1 is anything to go by the massive price hike and 'unusal' colour choice shouldn't hit current models too hard straight away.
The rs3 doesn’t move u TIL you put your foot to the ground. 10/20/30/40/50/60% throttle, nothing. Foot to the floor, go.

The S3 goes eventually when you plant your foot but seemed to need around a second to think about it before responding. Driving around in S all the time just revs the nuts in every gear.

The steering wheel on the pfl had a higher quality of leather,steering wheel on the face lift is a better design but its too thin....a perforated leather wears quicker....dimples become smaller and smaller with wear..........the only plastics that are inferior on the FL compared to the PFL are the stalks on the steering column.....Nowt else

The FL also has better options.
1.Matrix Headlights
2.Super Sport seats in Rotor/Rock Grey leather,Black leather with red stitching in conjunction with the Audi Design Package.
Virtual Cockpit

The FL is far more expensive new compared to what the PFL was, by a few grand..............in May 2017 a Face lift S3 Saloon......was almost the same price as a 2016 RS3 Sportback was,l know this because l nearly bought a RS3 back then and l ordered my FL S3 in May 2017...........So a FL car USED will always be more expensive over A pre face lift car used

Hi everyone, thanks for the recommendations and opinions. Test drove a pre Face-lift today and was impressed with the 6 speed DSG. Very smooth and changes didn't seem much slower than the 7 speed DSG. Pulled the trigger and picking it up at the end of the month!

the only plastics that are inferior on the FL compared to the PFL are the stalks on the steering column.....Nowt else
Cheaper air vents and poorer quality chrome exhaust tips to name but two more.
FL Rear view mirror is a better design.

Rear view mirror! Really. Next it will be the air in the FL tyres are better. FML !

Reactions: OCDaveS4
Test drove a pre Face-lift today and was impressed with the 6 speed DSG.
Pulled the trigger and picking it up at the end of the month!
What year is it and how many miles?

As I understand it, the facelift can send all of its power to the rear wheels if required, so should in theory be less prone to power under steer.

As I understand it, the facelift can send all of its power to the rear wheels if required, so should in theory be less prone to power under steer.

Nope, max distribution is 50/50 due to the mechanical layout (when all four wheels have grip). The Haldex unit may be coded a little different on the facelift to be more progressive in its nature which might make it feel a little more rear wheel drive though.

Cheaper air vents and poorer quality chrome exhaust tips to name but two more.
FL Rear view mirror is a better design.
Ah air vents ..ok but l have always thought the cheap chrome plastic looks like a toy gun from old ...hence l got the red painted vents...in the design pack

Reactions: SPIKE_ and MikeParkin
Lehn, aaah I dont know, I was just going on reviews on youtube, were quite a few of them say up to 100 percent of the torque can be sent to the back wheels.

Lehn, aaah I dont know, I was just going on reviews on youtube, were quite a few of them say up to 100 percent of the torque can be sent to the back wheels.

Yah that’s the little tricky part: “torque” ;) This means that if the front wheels are placed on ice while the rear wheels are placed on hot sticky asphalt, then yes all of the torque will go to the rear wheels (it’s a marketing stunt). But in normal driving conditions it’s 50/50 because the front axle is always connected to the engine while the rear axle is connected and disconnected through the haldex unit in the rear.

Yah that’s the little tricky part: “torque” ;) This means that if the front wheels are placed on ice while the rear wheels are placed on hot sticky asphalt, then yes all of the torque will go to the rear wheels (it’s a marketing stunt). But in normal driving conditions it’s 50/50 because the front axle is always connected to the engine while the rear axle is connected and disconnected through the haldex unit in the rear.
Haldex system on the face lift car is far more aggressive than in the pfl though ...car always pushes away never pulls....rear tyres on the face lift car

Reactions: JohnM100, Lehn and MikeParkin
Haldex system on the face lift car is far more aggressive than in the pfl though ...car always pushes away never pulls....rear tyres on the face lift car

I changed some settings via OBDeleven and is so much better now. I get a good push and pull from mine.

Exactly my point in my previous post :thumbs up:

I changed some settings via OBDeleven and is so much better now. I get a good push and pull from mine.

Do enlighten us! :racer:

Ah air vents ..ok but l have always thought the cheap chrome plastic looks like a toy gun from old ...hence l got the red painted vents...in the design pack

Seriously though, the FL air vent dials feel very cheap compared to PFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Lehn

I hadn’t quite been able to put my finger on it but this sums it up well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly my point in my previous post :thumbs up:

Do enlighten us! :racer:

I purchased OBDeleven a while ago and there’s a setting that changes the Haldex to strong, seems a lot better and makes use of the extra pony’s.

I purchased OBDeleven a while ago and there’s a setting that changes the Haldex to strong, seems a lot better and makes use of the extra pony’s.

Aaah thought is was something I haven't heard about - so have you changed the AWD Wiring Logic or the XDS? Since AWD Wiring Logic (which has something to do with haldex) can not be set to strong only increased traction, while XDS (which is the electronic differential lock) can be set to strong. Just asking to clarify which I should try myself.

How many ponys are you running? As far as I recall it's well over 400hp?

For the people who doesn't know what I'm talking about: https://drivetribe.com/p/performance-vcds-tweaks-Dky7b-PTQpqIwVFrasMoeA?iid=abom8nlEQ7WeABWBaeXXWQ

It was on of the app options on OBDeleven that I used but seems to be better.

Yeah over 400 but I’m now on Revo’s high torque and it’s so much better. @Lehn

Seriously though, the FL air vent dials feel very cheap compared to PFL
Totally agree with both points. The PFL vents were 100 times better quality. @jassyo06 do you fancy selling me your nice red detailed design pack vents?