Facelift S3 owners, who are you insuring you FL with?

paradigital

Reaction score
So I'm looking around for insurance for my impending S3 saloon, and most insurers are failing to provide a quote, some even insisting on a black box (never going to happen). The handful that will insure me are looking at £775 upwards, and I've never even heard of them.

I'm 33 with 10+ years no claims, no points or convictions, married, a home owner, you know, the ideal owner. The car will either be on the driveway, or in a secured works carpark during the day. I'm looking at 9,000 miles per annum, and have use of another vehicle!

If I change the vehicle to the pre-facelift then quotes are plentiful, and around what I expected (£420-£500).

Is there something inherently wrong with the 310PS facelift? I can't get my head around a 9bhp increase causing such a massive shift in my quotes!

I've used compare the market a few times for the fl S3 and my cheapest quote has been £700. I'm 21 with 4 years no claims 8000 miles a year. That was with admiral. I've not noticed a difference in price between pfl and fl quotes I just get more for the pfl

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I phoned my insurance company yesterday (admiral) that quoted £500 for the year on 10,000 miles. I'm 24 and 4 years no claims so not sure how yours can be so expensive :O

@paradigital - Don't forget to use all the comparison sites & then check out who is doing the most cashback on the likes of quidco & top cash back sites

Me? I use Saga which is by far the cheapest, but then you have to be of a certain age :D

Reactions: Simon L
Check the standalone firms as well. Quotemehappy were the cheapest by far for both our cars last year. Year before it was Direct Line. These won't appear on compare sites.

Reactions: Gordo77
Me? I use Saga which is by far the cheapest, but then you have to be of a certain age :D
You got a free carriage clock when you went with them didn't you?...or was that with your over 50's plan? :p

I am not getting an S3 but the most basic FL A3. 1.0tfsi.

Just ran a compare the market quote. Cheapest was ~£200.

I only got 9 quotes compared to about 20 when getting a quote for wife's car.

Ironically Admiral quoted £204 whereas Admiral Little Box (where I need to fit a black box) want £366!

Insurance companies have been known to charge more if you park on your own drive as by all account the opportunist thief knows where to look for the keys, i.e. your house. Whereas if it was on the road then it is deemed less of a risk? Could be worth trying a quote with street parking instead.

Although it may just be an urban myth :p

Reactions: Scottyg
I quickly put a few details through compare the meerkat today... cheapest was Sheilas Wheels at £333 and Admiral was £500... I'm with Admiral at the moment, so they would need to come down a bit in order for me to stick with them.

Admiral will be lower if you give them a call I would think or just send them the other quote for them to match it. Sheila's wheels? Is that not a woman only company?

Admiral will be lower if you give them a call I would think or just send them the other quote for them to match it. Sheila's wheels? Is that not a woman only company?
Women only? No. That would be illegal. ;-)

Reactions: Sandra and Gordo77
Sheilas Wheels and Esure are the same company, the missus and I insure our cars through both of them.

They give you class 1 business cover as standard and multi car discounts. They always come within a few £'s of quotes from the comparison sites so we're happy to stay with them long term.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO and Gordo77
Post code and occupation make so much difference these days as well as age and driver record. You can't do much about your address, but it's worth 'playing' with occupation on the configurator. I took a year off a while back. I didn't sign on and I'm in receipt of a Forces pension; being 'unemployed', 'of independent means' and 'retired' all came back with surprisingly different quotes (of independent means was cheapest).

If your day job is very specifically covered in the drop down, there isn't much scope, but if it isn't and you can, try a few legitimate options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's definitely not my postcode as like I say, quotes for the PFL are fine. As are quotes for my A4.

Sheilas Wheels and Esure are the same company, the missus and I insure our cars through both of them.

They give you class 1 business cover as standard and multi car discounts. They always come within a few £'s of quotes from the comparison sites so we're happy to stay with them long term.

Looking back at the list of quotes, they were indeed the same price for me!

Reactions: davc
What a difference a month makes.

Just doing renewal quotes for my A4 (2.0 TDIe 136PS), as I'll still have it for a month after my renewal date (14th Sept), and was pleasantly surprised to find that AXA are quoting me around £50 LESS than the A4 for the Facelift S3 Saloon. Looks like £350~ a year now.

I'll call that a win.

What a difference a month makes.

Just doing renewal quotes for my A4 (2.0 TDIe 136PS), as I'll still have it for a month after my renewal date (14th Sept), and was pleasantly surprised to find that AXA are quoting me around £50 LESS than the A4 for the Facelift S3 Saloon. Looks like £350~ a year now.

I'll call that a win.

I'm kind of in the same position... insurance up for renewal 4th October but won't get the S3 until around the 15th... Ideally don't want to have to cancel existing policy if I decide to go with a different company, but will only need existing car insured for around 1-2 weeks...

I've renewed with the people who offered me the lowest quote on the S3, even though they weren't the cheapest for my A4. If I have to cancel then so be it, I'm not in need of building up any NCD so have no qualms in moving insurer should I have to come collection day.

I've renewed with the people who offered me the lowest quote on the S3, even though they weren't the cheapest for my A4. If I have to cancel then so be it, I'm not in need of building up any NCD so have no qualms in moving insurer should I have to come collection day.

Sounds sensible, I'll probably do the same.

I'm kind of in the same position... insurance up for renewal 4th October but won't get the S3 until around the 15th... Ideally don't want to have to cancel existing policy if I decide to go with a different company, but will only need existing car insured for around 1-2 weeks...
You can insure the old car for the two weeks and then start fresh once you get the new car. Give them a call and they will sort you out.

It worked like this with my collection date: My old cars insurance was due to run out on the Wednesday and I was due to collect the new car on the Saturday, the new car was going to be insured with another company. I called the new insurance company to ask which would be the best way to do it, they said rather than insuring the old car for 12 months and then changing it over to the new car a few days later, they would insure the old car for Wed-Sat and then insure the new car from the Saturday for the full 12 months. If they had altered the car after a few days I would have had to pay an admin fee!

In the end I took the Wed/Thurs off work (don't do Fridays), collected the car on the Wednesday and went to the lakes for a long weekend with the wife ;)

My insurance runs out on the 11th March, so handy to get the new reg in March when the insurance is up :) I wouldn't mess around for the sake of 1-11 March!

You can insure the old car for the two weeks and then start fresh once you get the new car. Give them a call and they will sort you out.

It worked like this with my collection date: My old cars insurance was due to run out on the Wednesday and I was due to collect the new car on the Saturday, the new car was going to be insured with another company. I called the new insurance company to ask which would be the best way to do it, they said rather than insuring the old car for 12 months and then changing it over to the new car a few days later, they would insure the old car for Wed-Sat and then insure the new car from the Saturday for the full 12 months. If they had altered the car after a few days I would have had to pay an admin fee!

In the end I took the Wed/Thurs off work (don't do Fridays), collected the car on the Wednesday and went to the lakes for a long weekend with the wife ;)

My insurance runs out on the 11th March, so handy to get the new reg in March when the insurance is up :) I wouldn't mess around for the sake of 1-11 March!

Right, good info... so I just ask the new insurance company (if I'm not sticking with Admiral) to insure old car for about a week then start the policy on the new car after that?

Yeah that's right, but it's best off calling them to check as each company may have their own ideas/ways! Another way you could do it! Give Audi your old car when the insurance runs out and then ask for a car off them until you get your new one!

I even asked the new company if I could collect/insure the new car the week before (the Saturday before the old cars insurance was up) but they said you can't have 2 policies running at the same time using the same no claims bonus.

Which insurers will absolutely categorically use an approved Audi repairer with proper Audi parts?
And for these insurers could you share a link and or T's & C's that states that fact?
I'm currently with Elephant and need to decide whether I stay with them or not?

It depends entirely. I've never had a problem with ANY insurer in getting them to use an approved Audi repairer. You just have to be insistent on the phone.

This is especially true in the case of non-fault. A Non-fault accident entitles you to be put back into the position you were in before the accident, i.e with your bodywork/corrosion guarantee intact. With that in mind, EVERY insurance company has to let you use an approved repairer.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
Been messing around again with insurance quotes for the S3, and I now have a new contender ahead of esure... Churchill have came in at around £100 cheaper! Surprised how things can really change within a matter of weeks.

I just looked. Am currently with admiral and the website quoted me 860 for an s3 310 (they didn't even have the exact model on their database)

Liverpool Victoria quoted me 564 and then had the correct model in their dB.

I'll be going with them as all the others quoted twixt 750 and 850

Admiral. They changed my MX5 to a 16 plate PFL S3 for free, apparently there is no difference in premium between a lightly modified but still underpowered MX5 and a hatchback that's vastly overpowered and holds the coveted 'most stolen car' title. It then cost an additional £25.87 change to a '66 plate Facelift S3

Reactions: richinsoton
doesnt work on Money Super market
Yes it does...

IMG 0743

IMG 0744

Currently with Hastings.......think mine is circa £260 (I am an old fart though!)

Direct line winning so far £465!

There's no such thing as 'winning' with direct line.

I've claimed with them before..they were fine. Unless things have got worse.
I had an absolute horror show with them. For a non-fault claim that resulted in the total loss of my car;

It took them nearly 3 months to pay out.

The amount paid out was well under the value needed to buy another car of the same type, never mind similar age, mileage, spec etc. No amount of common sense would get through, nor even the fact that my actual car had by this time been sold by them, repaired, and was on eBay for significantly more than they were offering me.

It took them nearly two years to pay my excess back.

They recorded the accident against my wife, when in fact I was driving.

They sold my details to uncountable numbers of claims vultures and ambulance chasers, who still contact me now 3.5 years later.

Because I still had an unresolved claim for all that time, I was paying over the odds for my insurance.

Only last week did they finally confirm my no claims bonus is untouched, for claim outstanding from 2012.

Direct Line are grasping greedy ********. They promise much, but deliver very little.

Anyone had any experience with Liverpool Victoria?

Anyone had any experience with Liverpool Victoria?
Used to insure both my cars with them. Very good service when a moron on a moped smashed dead centre into my rear bumper at a red light, and had the audacity to blame me. LV hounded him into submission without a problem.

Only reason I stopped using them was because they wouldn't insure cars that had been mapped. They may have changed this policy by now though.