S3 owners under 25

James.B8

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still looking to find a used 8v s3 and been doing some more research recently.
I can afford to buy new but I think I've got my sensible head on and have been talked out of it. Save a few more pennies.

Noticed there seems to be quite a lot of twenty something's on here which I was quite surprised and pleased by. Just wondering who you are insured with? Been driving since I was 17 and got no claims and I'm 22 now.

Any advice appreciated.

James.:salute:

Last edited:
I'm 19, insured with Elephant. £2600, £1700 with Multi Car Discount.
Current quote is £5500, for the identical car and conditions.

Insurance has sky rocketed for the S3 over recent months, Golf GTI Clubsport is half the insurance and the R is also less.

2 years NCB, 3 years with a licence in July.

Reactions: James.B8
same situation as you here, couple months off of 22 and my s3 is coming early june...

earlier this year I was quoted ~£1400, gone to near £1600 now. This was just through comparethemarket and I think Admiral had the best price

Insurance has sky rocketed for the S3 over recent months, Golf GTI Clubsport is half the insurance and the R is also less.

only god can help you when you get your rs3 :cower:

Reactions: deanshaw24 and Jassyo06

Wow that is a lot!! Suppose you are right with recent events in the news recently that hasn't helped. I expect at 19 it's worse for you as well having less years on the road. :disrelieved:Hopefully it will come down

Reactions: AudiNutta
same situation as you here, couple months off of 22 and my s3 is coming early june...

earlier this year I was quoted ~£1400, gone to near £1600 now. This was just through comparethemarket and I think Admiral had the best price
Ah so you bought brand new then? I am tempted but just think the depreciation isn't worth it for me personally. Bet you're super excited though! What spec did you go for?

That's not too bad considering. So you could even get it cheaper than that going straight to the insurer.

Reactions: MattSedg
Ah so you bought brand new then? I am tempted but just think the depretiation isn't worth it for me personally. Bet you're super excited though! What spec did you go for?

That's not too bad considering. So you could even get it cheaper than that going straight to the insurer.
since last june I was set on a used one as I never liked the idea of depreciation aswell but fast forward to this works xmas do, final pub of the night and one of my dads mates put the idea in my head.....he should get a bit of comission haha.

went with ara blue black ed. sportback, matrix LED, mag ride and a few others.

Yeah I'm almost wondering if I should just get a policy now starting from june before prices go even more? not sure really..

Reactions: Tom.H and James.B8
Don't get too tied up with the depreciation. The important thing is how much it costs over your period of ownership. Audi and the dealers really want to sell new cars so there are much bigger discounts available than for used. So it's often possible to get new to similar price to fairly new secondhand.
And if you need to borrow money then the interest rates can help a lot too.

When I bought my car (agreed not an S) I initially intended to buy a 1 year old or ex demo. But it was axtually cheaper to buy a new one (and get the exact spec I wanted)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and James.B8
since last june I was set on a used one as I never liked the idea of depreciation aswell but fast forward to this works xmas do, final pub of the night and one of my dads mates put the idea in my head.....he should get a bit of comission haha.

Yeah I'm almost wondering if I should just get a policy now starting from june before prices go even more? not sure really..
Haha happens too easily to get talked into things. :laughing:
Sounds nice! Same sort of spec I'd go for. Been looking a sepang blue as a favourite or Navarra blue. S-tronic?

Hmm worth thinking about. I probably won't get one until June so god knows how prices will be then. Suppose it's a cost worth paying for an Audi "S" car.

Reactions: MattSedg
Don't get too tied up with the depreciation. The important thing is how much it costs over your period of ownership. Audi and the dealers really want to sell new cars so there are much bigger discounts available than for used. So it's often possible to get new to similar price to fairly new secondhand.
And if you need to borrow money then the interest rates can help a lot too.

When I bought my car (agreed not an S) I initially intended to buy a 1 year old or ex demo. But it was axtually cheaper to buy a new one (and get the exact spec I wanted)
Yeah that's true. The interest rate seems to be higher on the used cars with little discount.
It is still worth thinking about I think as others have said on my previous thread.
I'd probably only keep the car 2years maybe 3

Haha happens too easily to get talked into things. :laughing:
Sounds nice! Same sort of spec I'd go for. Been looking a sepang blue as a favourite or Navarra blue. S-tronic?

Hmm worth thinking about. I probably won't get one until June so god knows how prices will be then. Suppose it's a cost worth paying for an Audi "S" car.
yeah stronic. the expenses are gonna sting a bit...but hey, it'll be enjoyable :racer:

23 - £550 for the year. Driving from 17 with 6 years no claims. :)
34169698902_2446c0b4c4_b.jpg

Reactions: Asif Shamsudeen, Joe4842, Milnesafc and 4 others
yeah stronic. the expenses are gonna sting a bit...but hey, it'll be enjoyable :racer:
That's my thinking! Have my fun in a fast little car whilst I'm still young then get a sensible car when kids are on the way

Reactions: AudiNutta
That's a good price!! Do you mind me asking which company that's with?
Lovely looking motor! I do like the saloons :)
It's through Axa. The very first S3 Saloon's wow'd me the very first time I saw one. It was an S3 Saloon in Sepang blue and I remember how it made me feel the first time I saw it. Couple years on I own one myself. Never thought December last year it would have been possible.. just shows you. :)

Reactions: Milnesafc and James.B8
It's through Axa. The very first S3 Saloon's wow'd me the very first time I saw one. It was an S3 Saloon in Sepang blue and I remember how it made me feel the first time I saw it. Couple years on I own one myself. Never thought December last year it would have been possible.. just shows you. :)
Fair play! Hard work pays off :salute:
I wouldn't mind a saloon myself if one came up for the right price or I got a good deal.

23 - £550 for the year. Driving from 17 with 6 years no claims. :)
34169698902_2446c0b4c4_b.jpg

23 and driving for 17 years :openmouth:

My renewal came through the other day, changed from the R32 to the S3 so they've based it on that - £649, done a new quote to see what it came out as £973.50 (that's with Direct Line) I'm 31 this year, been driving since I was 18 and have full no claims!

Reactions: Jassyo06, James.B8 and MattSedg
23 and driving for 17 years :openmouth:

My renewal came through the other day, changed from the R32 to the S3 so they've based it on that - £649, done a new quote to see what it came out as £973.50 (that's with Direct Line) I'm 31 this year, been driving since I was 18 and have full no claims!

I said 23 and driving from 17 lol

Reactions: Joe4842 and Tom.H
I'm currently 21 (22 in July) and have been quoted £1100 by Aviva for my new S3 ready for when it arrives in a few weeks time. 3 Years NCB and no points also adding my parents on the policy seemed to bring it down a little.

Reactions: James.B8 and MattSedg
I'm currently 21 (22 in July) and have been quoted £1100 by Aviva for my new S3 ready for when it arrives in a few weeks time. 3 Years NCB and no points also adding my parents on the policy seemed to bring it down a little.
well, i've got some research to do to get mine down from £1600

only god can help you when you get your rs3 :cower:

£300 a year cheaper to insure... haha. Quoting the situation I will be in come October when renewal comes the S3 is coming up at £3500, hopefully it will drop again by then.. or half, haha.

Wow that is a lot!! Suppose you are right with recent events in the news recently that hasn't helped. I expect at 19 it's worse for you as well having less years on the road. :disrelieved:Hopefully it will come down

I do genuinely believe that the high profile theft last week hiked the prices up. It has been holding at £4500 for a couple of months, 3 days after that theft it was £5500 :(

You need to assign a registration to start a policy, unfortunately.

Seems like a fair price.
What spec have you gone for if you don't mind me asking?

Hi mate, I'm 23 with a FL S3 with 6 points for speeding, 5 years no claims and I went with Swiftcover. I'm paying around the £1400 mark which isn't too bad considering the points and the car...

Reactions: MattSedg and James.B8
Hi mate, I'm 23 with a FL S3 with 6 points for speeding, 5 years no claims and I went with Swiftcover. I'm paying around the £1400 mark which isn't too bad considering the points and the car...
Haha that's alright to be fair. How long have you had the car?

Reactions: billy.rt
Seems all of you have gone for brand new facelifts which is making me consider one more now.

Do you think it's cheaper to go new? Or just more value for money?

Seems all of you have gone for brand new facelifts which is making me consider one more now.

Do you think it's cheaper to go new? Or just more value for money?
Often is genuinely cheaper

24 and £440 with Axa insurance w/ Resonator Delete claimed for no extra charge.

24 and £440 with Axa insurance w/ Resonator Delete claimed for no extra charge.

How so cheap? I got a quote with them earlier and it was nearer to £900 and I'm 30, driving 12 years with full no claims. I do lower the voluntary excess to £0 all the time though.

EDIT - That was Admiral actually, AXA came in at £629 with protected NCB, legal cover and £0 excess.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm still looking to find a used 8v s3 and been doing some more research recently.
I can afford to buy new but I think I've got my sensible head on and have been talked out of it. Save a few more pennies.

Noticed there seems to be quite a lot of twenty something's on here which I was quite surprised and pleased by. Just wondering who you are insured with? Been driving since I was 17 and got no claims and I'm 22 now.

Any advice appreciated.

James.:salute:

Im in the same boat as you! But it more financial sense to HP a new car

My insurance was £750 with endsleigh i think!
- 22 years old
- added mum and dad on as named drivers (cut it down 200)
- business, social and commuting
- 10,000 miles a year
- 4 years NCB
- 2 no fault accidents
- driving since 17 but 2 years under mums insurance

Idk how it was so cheap tbh! A new WRX STI and focus RS were up around 1200/1500

Im starting a new job with NFU Mutual so hit me up for a quote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im in the same boat as you! But it more financial sense to HP a new car

My insurance was £750 with endsleigh i think!
- 22 years old
- added mum and dad on as named drivers (cut it down 200)
- business, social and commuting
- 10,000 miles a year
- 4 years NCB
- 2 no fault accidents
- driving since 17 but 2 years under mums insurance

Idk how it was so cheap tbh! A new WRX STI and focus RS were up around 1200/1500

Im starting a new job with NFU Mutual so hit me up for a quote

Hire purchase isn't for me I don't think. Higher monthly payments as well which I don't fancy.
I'll be doing over 10-15k a year.
£750 is alright.
Have you got the car yet or is this just research for when you do?
Haha I may just do that when I come to getting one :salute:

Seems like a fair price.
What spec have you gone for if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah of course, I was originally going to restrict myself on my specification because of the new £40k road tax but gave up on that idea :whistle2: so my order is:

S3 - 3Door - STronic - Ara Blue - Black Edition
Super Sport Seats, Tech Pack Advanced, Extended Leather, Hill Hold, Magride with 19" V Spokes, Red Brake Calipers, Parking System Plus, Folding Mirrors and 5 Year Warranty.

A bit overboard on the options but it's my first ever new car and I managed to get 13.9% discount including deposit contribution. At the time I was looking for a used model, a suitable car in Ara Blue was quite rare and worked out a lot more than what I was being quoted new with less options on :blink:

Reactions: LewMcC and James.B8
Yeah of course, I was originally going to restrict myself on my specification because of the new £40k road tax but gave up on that idea :whistle2: so my order is:

S3 - 3Door - STronic - Ara Blue - Black Edition
Super Sport Seats, Tech Pack Advanced, Extended Leather, Hill Hold, Magride with 19" V Spokes, Red Brake Calipers, Parking System Plus, Folding Mirrors and 5 Year Warranty.

A bit overboard on the options but it's my first ever new car and I managed to get 13.9% discount including deposit contribution. At the time I was looking for a used model, a suitable car in Ara Blue was quite rare and worked out a lot more than what I was being quoted new with less options on :blink:
Very nice. Probably the exact spec I'd go for only I'd have a sportback not a 3dr just for practicality. Ara blue with black edition is a lovely combo :hearteyes:

Reactions: Bells
Hire purchase isn't for me I don't think. Higher monthly payments as well which I don't fancy.
I'll be doing over 10-15k a year.
£750 is alright.
Have you got the car yet or is this just research for when you do?
Haha I may just do that when I come to getting one :salute:

I was in the same mindset this time last year when I placed my order! I went looking for a year old 2.0tdi Sline saloon but when i looked into the finance although you have a balloon payment at the end it was cheaper to finance a new car and you put in a lower deposit so keep a hold of your savings!

I was happy to take 750 because although my accidents were no fault they still bumped up my premium (even though it shouldnt )

Ive had the car since august I was told it was the first facelift S3 in Northern Ireland best daily driver you could want tbh but after seeing the APR stage 3 videos.....

Couldnt resist the plug im training for pensions and mortgages but they want me to do insurance aswell

I was in the same mindset this time last year when I placed my order! I went looking for a year old 2.0tdi Sline saloon but when i looked into the finance although you have a balloon payment at the end it was cheaper to finance a new car and you put in a lower deposit so keep a hold of your savings!

I was happy to take 750 because although my accidents were no fault they still bumped up my premium (even though it shouldnt )

Ive had the car since august I was told it was the first facelift S3 in Northern Ireland best daily driver you could want tbh but after seeing the APR stage 3 videos.....

Couldnt resist the plug im training for pensions and mortgages but they want me to do insurance aswell

How much do you pay a month if you don't mind me asking?
I want to keep monthly payments as low as possible just for peace of mind. Higher payments are affordable just rather keep them smaller.

That's annoying then!! Still £750 is still a good price.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. Was looking at s4/5 and 8p rs3 but with the miles I'm doing it wasn't the best option so think an s3 is perfect from what I've read and seen.

Ideally I'd like to mod but not sure you can on pcp?

Aha fair enough ;)

How so cheap? I got a quote with them earlier and it was nearer to £900 and I'm 30, driving 12 years with full no claims. I do lower the voluntary excess to £0 all the time though.

EDIT - That was Admiral actually, AXA came in at £629 with protected NCB, legal cover and £0 excess.

I have an excess of £500 and quoted at 5000 miles a year but that may need increasing.