S3 owners, a favour please...

Damo S

Reaction score
Would someone be kind enough to pop their oil filler cap off and take a close up photo of the entrance please? Ideally with something like a ruler next to it for scale. Im trying to work out if its possible for a 25mm long bolt with a 10mm diameter head to get in through the hole.

thanks in advance

Without looking I would say a 10mm x 25mm bolt will fit in the hole head first. How far it would get I have no idea. I know my funnel doesn’t get very far down the hole when I top up my oil but a small bolt might be able work it’s way down.

Reactions: Kondax
It's dark (and cold) outside so I don't fancy trying to take a photo. The bolt you describe will easily fit down the filler hole as far as I know but as said above, I'm not sure how far it would get.

Someone told me its not just an open hole into the head. There are metal strips in the way which would make it difficult or even prevent a bolt from getting all the way through. My car is still at the garage being repaired (after a similar sized bolt apparently got into the head through the oil filler hole and trashed the exhaust cam) so I cant look myself, and Ive never taken off this cars oil filler cap so I have no idea what it looks like underneath. I just want to see what the oil filler hole into the head looks like as it may help my case. Appreciate its dark now so happy to wait.

This any good pal.
71486267 FA41 44B9 B3B9 B35741111753

Reactions: Damo S, Kondax and Svenedin
Sure I’ve just lost a bung from the engine cover somewhere or I’ve lost it earlier.

Any yes it’s cold out there.

Thanks for there photo Mike. Heroic. I've never properly investigated why a funnel doesn't fit properly and now I can see exactly why.

It’s probably 1 in a million chance that a bolt can drop in their accidentally. The engine cover sits higher than the cap(annoying design) so the cap is actually recessed almost underneath.
Judging by mikes pic there a bolt could work it’s way into the engine. Suppose it’s designed to stop idiots dropping things like funnels and other stuff down there.

This any good pal.

Yes that's great thanks. Much appreciated. It looks like there is an awful lot of "stuff" in the way for a bolt to drop in unnoticed. It would take some manoeuvring to get it to go through into the head, even if it will fit at all.