s3 over revving!

Kash3838

Reaction score
mapped it stage 1 with milltek, and noticed that it over revs slightly, when on motorway and revs are around 3-4000 rpm ish. put your foot down and revs go up and dip back down before going up again. noticed it before the map as not as much and also noted it on my mates s3 too... replaced the coil pack the otherday.. feels almost like clutch slip. but it aint that.... any ideas?

I'm not sure why you say it can't be clutch slip,as it sounds exactly like that,and it's happening also at peak torque.

Your car is remapped,and the clutch is the first thing to go.

Like Alex said.
Sounds exactly like mine when the clutch **** itself, post remap.

Good luck with the fix
Paul

Just read a fault on the ecu.. P0087
Any ideas what this could be?
Putting the standard map back on it... See how it behaves

defo sounds like clutch slip mate, mine did that after a while, had to live with it till i could afford a better clutch system, it will get worse and worse though, the oem one can hardly take stock power let alone a mapped car putting out over 300 ft/lb

But what about the fault code?? Fuel pressure related. I've only driven it 3 days with map. It can't go that quick surely.
I had a impreza running 400 bhp on standard clutch which outlasted a twin plate hks

not sure about the fault code, but that could be being thrown up as the car is slipping and causing a blip in the fueling
the clutchs have gone on stock cars with less then 20k on the clock, some have gone the second the map is applied, some like me lasted a few months and some last ages, all luck of the draw
dont compare the S3 clutch to other, its a known very very weak spot and is made of chocolate spread!

Well I hope the damn thing is covered by warranty... Only had it 3,weeks lol

yea should be fine at 3 weeks, audi know they are rubbish and normally dont kick up too much of a fuss, but in the long run will be worth saving for a sachs one as youll work through a new one in 10-15k miles

yea changed the lot out, sachs clutch and oem dmf and bearing and it takes my power fine, Alex is running the same set up on his stage 3 without issue

Well I hope the damn thing is covered by warranty... Only had it 3,weeks lol

If the car is new,or under manufacturer's warranty,then you stand a chance of getting it replaced under that,but if it's out of warranty,or has a good number of miles,probably not.

You can always try and see what they offer,but if it's clearly remapped,then forget it.

remap? what remap, its standard map now.. booked in for next week. i think its fuel pressure related... with the standard map its not too bad
evolve is on the case also.
im gunning for a new clutch from them anyway, and possibly 2 front tyres, as they are border line illegal, only covered 1k in them and with the tracking out from day 1, they owe me big time. i kicked up a fuss with them today... previous owner screwed this car... i'm not happy!

I had clutch fitted on the last day of warranty.
A lot depends on how accomodating and helpful the service team are.

My claim was processed on the basis it was `juddering` (thats what the service person put on the claim form) and therefore was considered distorted and therefore considered a mechanical failure rather than `wear and tear`, even though it was slipping like hell.

AUDI/VAG know these are rubbish and are generally pretty fair and will process a claim if they can.

Strictly speaking however after 6 months or 6K miles the clutch is NOT covered and any work carried out thereafter is technically descretionary.

There is evidence that later cars and/or OEM units fitted under warranty are stronger OEM SACHs items and not the older and apparently problematic LUK units.

If the clutch is borderline, which it sounds like yours was due to symptoms in stock tune, then it will slip like a ****** as soon as the map goes on. I had this on a previous MK5 Gti. Yep..all VAG 20T have crap clutches in my experience!

Seriously though, I would bet Paddys underpants that its your clutch so would pursue this as your fix.

Good luck
Paul

Last edited:
remap? what remap, its standard map now.. booked in for next week. i think its fuel pressure related... with the standard map its not too bad

mapped it stage 1 with milltek, .. feels almost like clutch slip. but it aint that.... any ideas?

Point is....you did remap it,and the possibility is that if the clutch was borderline in the first place(and I have no idea of the mileage or how the previous treated the car),then it's likely to have finished it off.

Lots of us have explained that the OEM clutch is just about OK on stock settings,and even then doesn't last well,and as PaulAR says,Audi are well aware of this.

Fuel pressure errors may be down to your cam follower or HPFP,and it is possible that if an uprated pump was fitted by the previous owner,that Audi would be unaware of that.....the cam follower is another weak point and should be changed regularly.

VWVortex.com - Code P0087: Fuel Rail/System Pressure too low. Possible causes?