s3 or R32

alexA3

Reaction score
Evening all,

I am 21 years old and in the position to spend up to 13k on a car. To begin with I was going to be sensible and get a newish diesel a3. But seeing as I'm living at home for the next few years I thought i might swell get a high performance car whilst I can.

I can't decide between a mk5 DPB r32 or a 06/07 S3. I am kinda swaying towards the r32 because they are a fair bit cheaper to buy and love the sound of the v6. However, i much prefer the interior and exterior of the s3.

What would you chaps recommend? Is there much difference in running costs? Insurance is pretty much the same on both cars.

Cheers

Evening all,I am 21 years old and in the position to spend up to 13k on a car. To begin with I was going to be sensible and get a newish diesel a3. But seeing as I'm living at home for the next few years I thought i might swell get a high performance car whilst I can.I can't decide between a mk5 DPB r32 or a 06/07 S3. I am kinda swaying towards the r32 because they are a fair bit cheaper to buy and love the sound of the v6. However, i much prefer the interior and exterior of the s3.What would you chaps recommend? Is there much difference in running costs? Insurance is pretty much the same on both cars.Cheers
Well done.....when I was your age I could afford a heap of rust!
Joking aside,I think the S3 is probably the best overall choice,as you can remap it,and unlock a lot of potential,but it's also easier on fuel.....yes,the R32 sounds a lot nicer,but from owning both an S3,and an A3 3.2,I know which I'd choose.

If you plan on spending any money on modifying the engine then S3 has got to be the way forwards unless you're willing to spend 6k-10k getting the R32 supercharged/turbo'd.

Yes the R32 does sound awesome but gains are going to be poor in comparison.

just went through the same dilemma as you and landed on the S3 side

If you plan on spending any money on modifying the engine then S3 has got to be the way forwards unless you're willing to spend 6k-10k getting the R32 supercharged/turbo'd.

Yes the R32 does sound awesome but gains are going to be poor in comparison.

just went through the same dilemma as you and landed on the S3 side

I really can't decide. TBH I'm not really that bothered about modding it. A black edition grill and some nice alloys would do me nicely.

You happy with the s3? I want to get one before christmas so need to make my mind up.

You'll get the 'power' bug and you'll want more.

R32 - realistically Un-tunable. It's nice though.

S3 - makes a louder noise with the right exhaust! + better on fuel + faster out of the box.

Dont be daft, use YouTube for R32 noises and then jump in the S3

Reactions: MartayMcFly
I really can't decide. TBH I'm not really that bothered about modding it. A black edition grill and some nice alloys would do me nicely.

You happy with the s3? I want to get one before christmas so need to make my mind up.

Really pleased with the S3. I came from a Mini JCW and the R32 was the same kind of speed and I wanted something faster so opted for the S3. Cannot fault it thus far.

You say you're not into modding it but for the sake of £400 on a remap you can add an extra 50bhp taking it to 310/315 bhp. The same bang for buck isn't achievable on the R32

Plus your ongoing fuel costs and Tax are more expensive in the R32

:s3addict:

or just meet in the middle and do what i did i got the best of both worlds

Pppfffttt S3 all the way, I was in a similar position (3.2 vs 2.0T) and test drove many. While the 3.2 does sound epic, it's a silly option IMVHO

get an R32 while you have disposable income and just enjoy the noise. you can have the more sensible S3 when you are older and a bit more boring!

You wont get away with the noise an R32 makes with a mr's and nippers on board in a few years!

I have owned V6 golf's and driven S3's and would have another V6 golf in a heart beat.

The golfs make the S3 look overpriced.

Lol, apart from the fact that the Golf R is currently more expensive than an S3, even though it's essentially the same car.

Lol, apart from the fact that the Golf R is currently more expensive than an S3, even though it's essentially the same car.

Golf R isn't a V6. The comparison is obviously for older R32s vs S3s

The s3 is lighter quicker better on fuel cheaper tax much better looking
:s3addict: all the way

Reactions: MartayMcFly
The comparison was clear. "Golfs make the S3 look overpriced".

Only out of context. You have also mis-quoted removing the word "the".

In the context of this thread, the OP has £13k to spend on an S3 or R32, ergo we are talking these older cars 5yrs old or so. For your money you're going to get more with the Golf (newer/less miles perhaps). HTH.

Last edited:
get an R32 while you have disposable income and just enjoy the noise. you can have the more sensible S3 when you are older and a bit more boring!

You wont get away with the noise an R32 makes with a mr's and nippers on board in a few years!

I have owned V6 golf's and driven S3's and would have another V6 golf in a heart beat.

You dont win by the noise from the lights tbh:]

S3 all the way. R32 sound nice but are slow compared to s3.

think about the people you are asking............. :laugh:

this should sum it up :kissmyrings:

my 0.02...MKIV R32 is the only "R" in my book. If you have to chose between MKV and S3, it's easy...S3

my 0.02...MKIV R32 is the only "R" in my book. If you have to chose between MKV and S3, it's easy...S3

I never really have understood why the mk4 R32 holds more weight in vag circles than the newer mk5?

Personally think the mk5 in the right colour, leather buckets and right wheels is a lovely thing.

It's not all about outright speed, at cruising speed the noise of an R32 is gorgeous.

S3 S3 S3!

I moved out last year, and have decided on a sensible A3 2.0 TDI 140, still pretty quick and comfy tho! - if i was living at home, it would have been an S3 for sure :p
Drive the audi and see what you think! I personally love the interior and exterior of the A/S3, the golf does nothing for me!

I had same dilemma, went for S3.
Cheaper road tax, better mpg, but quicker and lighter and much easier to get
extra power out of the engine.
No brainer really.

Have you considered the Edition 30 golf? Same engine as the S3, less the 4wd. Map it, 360bhp. Lots of drama which the S3 lacks.

Better on fuel as no 4wd, cheaper, lighter aswell.

I had 2 A3 3.2 dsg's before the S3 and even after remapping the S3, I still missed the noise and drivability of the 3.2. After 12 months I traded the S3 in and bought an R36.
I just found that most of todays driving is done at realistic speeds in mostly traffic dominated situations and for that the bigger engine in the R, especially with dsg, was more suited overall to everyday driving.
Best to try both out first for yourself tbh and then make your own mind up as ultimately it's a personal choice.
It's a nice situation to be in though at your age!

ED30 is not the same engine same turbo though.

Yes, not the exact the same engine then...it may as well be though.

They are very VERY similiar, largely just de-tuned.

Edition 30 is just as tune-able as the S3, up to stage 2+ with the only thing needing to be changed is the intercooler.

Quite often the edition 30's cream the S3's on the 1/4 mile too.

It has..

* Larger Turbo from S3 (K04) rather then the K03 on the GTI
* 87°C thermostat instead of 80°C
* Larger capacity fuel injectors (13% higher flow)
* Larger intercooler (smaller then the S3)
* Engine block main bearing caps, pedestals are reinforced
* Conrods have larger rod bolts and new bearings
* Pistons have 21mm gudgeon pins instead of 19mm
* Piston top ring is improved
* Recirculation Valve (blow off valve) not located on turbo

The Audi S3 and the Edition 30/Pirelli/Seat Leon Cupra R share the same short block, same turbo and similar intercooler.

have a read...2.0TFSi engines? - PistonHeads

Yes the camshaft is different and the S3 block is slightly more re-inforced, the edition 30 has proven just as strong in reality.

personally I gotta have the 4wd, it feels good. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ED30 is not the same engine same turbo though.
That's exactly what I thought but I'm too much of a noob here to come out and
state that directly. I thought the S3 had stronger internals and a different head which
dissipates heat better. The ED30 is similar but not the same.
Again it was another car on my 'might buy' list before buying the S3.
At 40 years of age I'm not after a car that lights up the front wheels at the drop of a dime.
My last car did that all too easily and it's drama (and understeer) I could do without tbh.
It was okay in the dry but in the wet/cold it was very hard to get the power down.

Yes, not the exact the same engine then...it may as well be though.

They are very VERY similiar, largely just de-tuned.

Edition 30 is just as tune-able as the S3, up to stage 2+ with the only thing needing to be changed is the intercooler.

Quite often the edition 30's cream the S3's on the 1/4 mile too.

It has..

* Larger Turbo from S3 (K04) rather then the K03 on the GTI
* 87°C thermostat instead of 80°C
* Larger capacity fuel injectors (13% higher flow)
* Larger intercooler (smaller then the S3)
* Engine block main bearing caps, pedestals are reinforced
* Conrods have larger rod bolts and new bearings
* Pistons have 21mm gudgeon pins instead of 19mm
* Piston top ring is improved
* Recirculation Valve (blow off valve) not located on turbo

The Audi S3 and the Edition 30/Pirelli/Seat Leon Cupra R share the same short block, same turbo and similar intercooler.

have a read...2.0TFSi engines? - PistonHeads

Yes the camshaft is different and the S3 block is slightly more re-inforced, the edition 30 has proven just as strong in reality.

personally I gotta have the 4wd, it feels good. :)

Good info that, and yes 4wd wins it for me too its just so good:]