S3 or Mini Cooper S

ianysm

Reaction score
Quite fancy the traction of the S3, but for similar price a more modern looking funky Mini Cooper S can be had (preferrably with the 210bhp conversion). Anyone driven/raced one?!!!

No contest, S3 without a doubt, from every angle, you like to mod & S3 is very capable of 350+ where as I suspect with mini its limited to how much you can do, but overall styling, interior, look, power, feel, comfort, I mean how many more things you wanna know?

Are we talking S3 8L or S3 8P cause either would still be better than Mini overall.

If your considering both....which are completely different to each other then I would say it would be down to which you prefer driving, so go test drive both.

I dont like the cluttered mini interior/dash. The S3's a much nicer place to be imo.

I've raced one of the new cooper S clubman's and it was like lambs to the slaughter ! although these are only about the 170bhp mark. If it was the 210 it would be very close i reckon, even with a remap on the S3, being the fact they do only have the front wheels to power, there quick little cars that are suppose to handle well too ! Although i am biased....i'd still have the audi. If i were to predict i'd say there pretty much the same in a straight line, although i reckon the S3 would be quicker top end....the Audi's an over all better car....

If you have amputee friends then the minis for you!

Quite fancy the traction of the S3, but for similar price a more modern looking funky Mini Cooper S can be had (preferrably with the 210bhp conversion). Anyone driven/raced one?!!!

No contest :icon_thumright: Lean mean S3 :happy:or Hairdressers Mini :think: No contest.

S3 every single time!!!MINI is a womans car!!!!

personally i would choose the mini as i think the 8l looks dated, plus the mini should hold its value better and handles great.

personally i would choose the mini as i think the 8l looks dated, plus the mini should hold its value better and handles great.

So which salon you work in, lol

i dont think the 8L looks dated at all the wide arches have got it going on!!! S3 over the mini any day unless you work in a erm.....salon perhaps lol

in all fairness your asking on a audi sight with predominately s3's. i prefer the s3 needless to say.

Mini holds it money better? it used to when it was launched but has taken the same landslide as every other marque out there....

i'll ask the equivalent question....chalk or cheese?

I drove a coopers s and the S3 before going for the S3. The mini was a hoot but the wheels lit up too easy and it didn`t feel as special as the Audi. The newer ones with lsd are better so ive heard. I always have a soft spot for minis as I had one as my first car but that was a proper one with 10 inch wheels :)

over on the mini forums the new cooper S isnt as well received because of its power delivery....probably the shock of going from supercharger to turbo

Mini is a girls car come on they look silly

The newer ones with lsd are better so ive heard. I always have a soft spot for minis as I had one as my first car but that was a proper one with 10 inch wheels :)

I'd have to be on that to buy one tbh

& soft spot would be your **** if its anything like the old mini, tempur cushions come as standard when you buy a mini dont they, lol

Hi i was looking at cooper s not that long ago as well as other cars, they are very nice, handle well quick and quite funky inside,

for your money you will get a lower milage newer car with the cooper s, but the s3 felt so much better to me more classy luxery etc and i think they look better also less around, mini's are every where and felt to small for me and a little tiny bit girly:sorry:, i would test drive both and to be honest i would bet you choose the s3 by a long way, but to be honest i do do like the copper s has to be in grey or black Imo,

The newer ones with lsd are better so ive heard.
The newer Mini's have software which brake individual wheels to give you the elctronic equivelant of an LSD, but Autocar magazine doesn't rate the system and says it's nothing like an LSD in practice.

I think you are confusing 'looks dated' with 'future classic', the 8L A3/S3 profile has always been a pretty shape, with the wider arches of the S3 being more desireable. Today's car market is dictated with looks and on road presence for the buyer, if a car looks the danglies parked outside your drive, but is average to drive, the manufacturer will still sell shed loads of them.
As for the Mini, it will run rings around a standard 8L S3 on a twisty bit of Tarmac(in the dry), and you would actually have a smile at the end of your journey. But the last 12 months has seen quite a bit of rain, so you would have been glad with your quattro S3, and for some reason, the supercharged Cooper S likes a bit of a drink! 22MPG average from a 1.6! That's sh!te for any hothatch.

Well i can tell you 1st hand,as i have BOTH!!!!!!!!

The John Cooper Works is great fun,but as said above the S3 is a hell of alot better to be in.... As for performance (which i figure is what your after),the S3 (mines remaped) can beat it in all departments really.. performance,MPG,power,but handling il have to give to the mini,unless its wet,then with out the traction control on,just wheel spins EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Tbh,its actualy forsale..... If your interest,its MINT!!!!! And ive worked in the motor trade (bodyshops) for 15years,so i know when mint MEANS mint.... 05 plate,genuine JCW,metalic blue,27k,FBMWSH,10 mot,10 tax,3years warrente,4 brand new tyres,TLC,half leathers,HPI clear,and all the trimmings really... If interested PM me,and i can tell you more,and send you pics.......

Pete...

Whoops,dont know why it went in to different writing at the end,sorry bout that.. Haha..

Pete...

Funny you should ask.. the Mrs sold her Cooper S (53 plate) a couple of years ago when we were expecting a new arrival to the family (she cried when it went - honestly!), had an A4 for the last 2yrs. We sold the A4 last weekend and she picks up her S3 (2003) this Sunday so we'll have a good answer for you soon!

I drove her Mini a fair bit and its a riot in the dry around town - not a lot will keep up because its light and super agile. Get it on the straights or in the wet and its easy pickings!

I drive a mapped 335d BMW coupe (351bhp 600ft/Ib) - had a funny encounter with a young lad in a Works Cooper S at a set of lights in Solihull. He gave it everything off the lights (on that grippy tarmac stuff as well) - it was surprisingly quick - but the look on his face as I waived at him in the rear view mirror and he clocked the 'D' badge was funny!:whip:

The newer Mini's have software which brake individual wheels to give you the elctronic equivelant of an LSD, but Autocar magazine doesn't rate the system and says it's nothing like an LSD in practice.

My 1996 GTI Golf has a system like that too...EDL (Electronic Diff Lock). It too is crap.
Better than nothing perhaps...but an electronic LSD it isn't.

Minis are great...
If you can get away with a 2 seater (the back of the drivers or passengers seat is touching the base of the rear seat when I drive one) with no boot....and happen to be a perma-tanned, well manicured, good looking chap with a perfectly formed quiff and a penchant for wearing tight tops and getting in touch with his feminine side. :p

I still think the S3 is a master piece. Test drive both somehow, you'll see the difference.

The Mini to me comes across a bit Chavvy with all the different styling options. I think it will date really quickly too (already think it looks a bit plastic) whereas the 8L still looks fantastic IMO
I've yet to come across anyone on the road driving a Mini the way it could be driven. All the owners seem more concerned with what colour stripes they went for or whether they chose squares on the roof or how many lights they had fitted to the bumper, it's just ridiculous.
The matt black arches with the splashes of chrome some people have thrown all over them, I personally think they ming
S3 all the way!

is it for the wife...lol..or did you kiss a guy and just like it.....? S3, no question.

S3 all the way! Why even consider a mini? They're ugly looking things which should have been left to die out in the 60s! :puke:

my girlfriends mam has a cooper s convert. had too look at something on the dash for her the other night and the 1st thing i noticed was the differance in build quailty to the S3! the S3 is finished of SOOOOOO much better.

E46 M3 Coupe - All the toys, Stage 1 Remap, Competition Clutch, Racing backbox, Fast Road Geometry????
Why on earth are you looking at these type of car?

To keep it simple: A few years ago I bought a new Mini Cooper S (2005). My best friend bought a 2001 S3 at the same time. I had the all the regrets...

To keep it simple: A few years ago I bought a new Mini Cooper S (2005). My best friend bought a 2001 S3 at the same time. I had the all the regrets...

Point well made i think! Mini's are just "normal" every day cars to me, i see about 10 on the way to work every morning. The S3 on the other hand, i've seen 2 since i bought mine over 3 months ago. That says something to me.

Many say the mini is a hairdressers car, look at the posts above lol. I'd have to agree. But the works version is rather tasty.

If you have an M3 why even contemplate a small 1.6 supercharged/turbocharged car when you have a serious bit of performance car like the M3?

I've had an M3, the E36 Evolution version and i have to say i prefer the S3 with no doubts in my mind. This is my third one and i'm still loving owning one!

hmmm, i was considering the M3 as my next car but really think the interior is utter crap compared with the S3, yes the engine is lovely with handling to match...but still debating whether i can live with the inside , the S3 is one of the best all round cars you can buy IMO....it doesnt do anything brilliantly, it does an awful lot 'well' which is hard to come by without spending massive sums of money

hmmm, i was considering the M3 as my next car but really think the interior is utter crap compared with the S3, yes the engine is lovely with handling to match...but still debating whether i can live with the inside , the S3 is one of the best all round cars you can buy IMO....it doesnt do anything brilliantly, it does an awful lot 'well' which is hard to come by without spending massive sums of money