S3 - One Week On

grimey121uk

Reaction score
So we have had the S3 for a week now and covered almost 800 miles (very busy week), we recently upgraded from a 2015 A3 TDI 184 S-Line SB which we only had for 6 weeks and then realised we had purchased the wrong car, luckily it was an ex demo so we didn't loose a lot on it when we upgraded. Me and the wife absolutely love it because it is a car that does pretty much everything we need brilliantly;
  • Engine - 300BHP with lots of low end grunt and with that power on tap not much will keep up with it, in fact an Audi TT probably had a bit of a shock today when he tried to race me from the M6 toll barriers and I also had a play with a Corsa VXR last weekend with a predictable outcome. It also sounds good in dynamic, not much drone on the motorway but when the RPMs rise it sounds good and not like a typical 4-cyl at all;
  • Handling - It does feel like a FWD car but with unlimited grip, some might think it's not as exciting as a BMW but I'd rather have the grip and security over tail happiness any day. It's our first 4WD car and we are amazed at the amount of grip, it will not wheel spin even in the rain compared to our TDI 184 which would spin the front wheels in first or second gear with ease. The suspension is a lot better than our TDI184 S-Line in terms of handling and comfort, we found the S-Line was a real back breaker;
  • Looks - Understanted yet still sporty, your average joe sat next to me at the traffic lights seems to have no idea what kind of car it is, yet the subtle hints (silver mirrors etc) let car enthusiasts know exactly what it is;
  • Practicality - it's comfortable and spacious with enough room in the boots to fit suit cases or kit for work, the comfort pack is a defiantly required;
  • Economy - I've just driven from Bolton to Oxford as I'm down here on a training course, I've managed 36.2mpg with the cruise set to 70 (dynamic mode) but still had a bit of fun on the slip roads. As far as I'm concerned I'm happy with that as I will still make a few £££ of my mileage expenses, also my insurance was £80 cheaper than our old TDI 184.
In my opinion the only downsides are a little bit of tyre drone and wind noise whilst cruising on the motorway, nothing major but more noticeable compared to our Toyota Avensis although it seems a little quieter than our TDI184. The only other thing that I've observed is that everyone keeps trying to race me from the lights or down motorway slip roads, usually they are middle aged men driving diesel German cars, it seems that they think their 2 litre oil burners are the fastest thing on the road.

The only plan I have for it so far is to get the paint callipers painted red, my friend is a professional detailer and does them for 1/3rd the price of Audi, he did the one on the TDI184 for us and they were stunning. We are also looking at a private plate.

Enough talking, it's time for a photo:

Last edited:
Reactions: jimojameso, jungle650, S3 Turbo and 16 others
So we have had the S3 for a week now and covered almost 800 miles (very busy week), we recently upgraded from a 2015 A3 TDI 184 S-Line SB which we only had for 6 weeks and then realised we had purchased the wrong car, luckily it was an ex demo so we didn't loose a lot on it when we upgraded. Me and the wife absolutely love it and it is a car that does pretty much everything we need brilliantly;
  • Engine - 300BHP with lots of low end grunt and with that power on tap not much will keep up with it, in fact an Audi TT probably had a bit of a shock today when he tried to race me from the M6 toll barriers and I also had a play with a Corsa VXR last weekend with a predictable outcome. It also sounds good in dynamic, not much drone on the motorway but when the RPMs rise it sounds good and not like a typical 4-cyl at all;
  • Handling - It does feel like a FWD car but with unlimited grip, some might think it's not as exciting as a BMW but I'd rather have the grip and security over tail happiness any day. It's our first 4WD car and we are amazed at the amount of grip, it will not wheel spin even in the rain compared to our TDI 184 which would spin the front wheels in first or second with ease. The suspension is a lot better than our TDI184 S-Line in terms of handling and comfort, we found the S-Line was a real back breaker;
  • Looks - Understanted yet still sporty, your average joe sat next to me at the traffic lights seems to have no idea what kind of car it is, yet the subtle hints (silver mirrors etc) let car enthusiasts know exactly what it is;
  • Practicality - it's comfortable and spacious with enough room in the boots to fit suit cases or kit for work, the comfort pack is a defiantly required;
  • Economy - I've just driven from Bolton to Oxford as I'm down here on a training course, I've managed 36.2mpg with the cruise set to 70 (dynamic mode) but still had a bit of fun on the slip roads. As far as I'm concerned I'm happy with that as I will still make a few £££ of my mileage expenses, also my insurance was £80 cheaper than our old TDI 184.
In my opinion the only downsides are a little bit of tyre drone and wind noise whilst cruising on the motorway, nothing major but more noticeable compared to our Toyota Avensis although it seems a little quieter than our TDI184. The only other thing that I've observed is that everyone keeps trying to race me from the lights or down motorway slip roads, usually they are middle aged men driving diesel German cars, it seems that they think their 2 litre oil burners are the fastest thing on the road.

The only plan I have for it so far is to get the paint callipers painted red, my friend is a professional detailer and does them for 1/3rd the price of Audi, he did the one on the TDI184 for us and they were stunning. We are also looking at a private plate.

Enough talking, it's time for a photo:
View attachment 74845
@grimey121uk - Great write up buddy. Thanks for sharing :thumbs up:

Reactions: SW14NY'S, Simon L, Pulp84 and 1 other person
the wife absolutely love it because it is a car that does pretty much everything we need brilliantly
You lucky git, wish I had a wife as understanding :couple inlove:. I lightly suggested a change from my A3 to an S3 and she nearly choked me :scared2:.
I'll have to wait a while longer :crying:. Lovely car mate.

Reactions: S3 Turbo and Pulp84
You lucky git, wish I had a wife as understanding :couple inlove:. I lightly suggested a change from my A3 to an S3 and she nearly choked me :scared2:.
I'll have to wait a while longer :crying:. Lovely car mate.

To be honest, she was the one pushing for the upgrade:)

Reactions: S3 Turbo and Simon L
@grimey121uk - surprised you didn't get on with the 184 as I personally think that's a great car (the quattro version is even better). The S3 is a totally different beast though.........:yes:

Unfortunately it appears people do very much know what the S3 is for all the underrated talk. Diesel drivers are the worst I find too.

You will find the MPG gets better in time on longer runs. Have managed 42mpg easily when driving like a vicar LOL. Exactly why I bought it :whistle2:

Lovely looking motor. Enjoy it! :yahoo:

@grimey121uk - surprised you didn't get on with the 184 as I personally think that's a great car (the quattro version is even better). The S3 is a totally different beast though.........:yes:

Unfortunately it appears people do very much know what the S3 is for all the underrated talk. Diesel drivers are the worst I find too.

You will find the MPG gets better in time on longer runs. Have managed 42mpg easily when driving like a vicar LOL. Exactly why I bought it :whistle2:

Lovely looking motor. Enjoy it! :yahoo:

We did get on with it and the engine was stunning for an oil burner, it just lacked a bit of excitement. Still a cracking car!

Reactions: Pulp84
To be honest, she was the one pushing for the upgrade:)

I was lucky enough to be in the same boat as you mate, my wife was as impressed if not more so than me after our test drive!!

800 miles!! lol You've covered over a third of my mileage and mine's 4.5 months old!! Great right up too, pretty much sums up how I feel about it...............fabulous car!! :)

Reactions: Sandra, WarwickL and batch
I was lucky enough to be in the same boat as you mate, my wife was as impressed if not more so than me after our test drive!!

800 miles!! lol You've covered over a third of my mileage and mine's 4.5 months old!! Great right up too, pretty much sums up how I feel about it...............fabulous car!! :)

I must get out more :whistle2: 3.5 months old & 700 miles covered.

Reactions: S3 Turbo and Simon L
I must get out more :whistle2: 3.5 months old & 700 miles covered.

Wow!! ...................now that is low mileage!! I think my Gran covered more than that when she was in her nineties, tootling to the shops and back!! lol

Reactions: K4RL and S3 Turbo
Great write up and good to hear your liking it. I'm trading up from a 2.0ltr A3 150ps manual Tdi I've owed since March 14 to an S3 sometime soon. It was built third week in Nov so should be landing anytime now, although my original plan was to pick it up in March. Same colours as you and Stronic too. As common as its said Sepang is I've only seen 1 other on the road since I ordered late Sept. My A3 has been a cracking car but I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the slightly burlier brother. Enjoy the new car and thanks for making the wait A little easier. The pics really help. If anyone got hold of my google history they would think I was obsessed
On the wife front, I get told of sometimes when I boot the A3 hahaha, I predict I may get in trouble off roundabouts and on slip roads too.

Reactions: S3 Turbo
Good choice, youre a long time dead as they say

Are you on contis ? Mine has driven way better and quieter since moving over to PS3's

conti dsw 06's are a good tire choice if youre looking for comfort and quiet all season performance. the one major thing that the s3 needs is another gear for highway cruising. it is, with magnetic ride, a fantastic highway machine with the drive select in comfort but that 6th gear kills it by being in too high a gear at highway speeds.

Good review.

I found the first week was all roses - that new car experience.

After 1 month I've started to find the little things that annoy me (I knew about most from reading a lot and talking to owners).

Nothing major but annoyances nonetheless.

Some were Audi design and build process stuff and not much can be done about those but then some others that surprised me which I may try and resolve further down the track.

For now, I'm just enjoying what the car offers.

Glad you're enjoying the car.................

@grimey121uk great write up, can you let me know where you got your wife from, I might put one on my Christmas list :grinning:

The suspension is a lot better than our TDI184 S-Line in terms of handling and comfort, we found the S-Line was a real back breaker;

I have found exactly the same moving from a 150 BHP TDI A3 SB s-line, not so much a back breaker for me just uncomfortable with much worse tyre/road noise

Yes oil burners are the worse , funnily enough this morning on the way in to work there were 2 VW Passat TDI's sat side by side at the lights who decided to race each other. Was amusing as I sat behind one of them wondering when i would be able to get out of 4th and were they going to put there foot down :grinning:

Reactions: Pulp84, Sandra, S3 Turbo and 1 other person
Great write up!

And really fun and interesting to hear all the different wives reactions!
Mine is kind of an inbetweener.
Not even interested of joining me at the dealer visits and test drives, and definitely thinks our current A4 is good enough. But some lucky combination of brand awareness, affection for me and recently having passed the 40 year mark made me get away with it. :)

Reactions: Baldyone
Yeah, I used the 40th too. Mines next year in early March so it'll all fit in nicely
Happy recent 40th by the way S3. Does that make it a mid life crisis car?! I'm pretty sure I'm not having one but would you even be aware yourself? Lol

Reactions: S3 Turbo
Baldyone,
Thanks!
Was a while ago tbh but perfect excuse regardless. :)

Would require a psycho analysis to put a label on it but really wanted the S3 hehe.

Me the opposite, hairline still fine but waistline expanding... :/

Reactions: Baldyone
Mine is about a month old , just gone over 1000 miles so will start building to give it some stick.
Mine was a early 60th present to myself. Same my wife never came to the dealership. She now complains it is too slow ! She preferred our old tdi 170.
Though I do think I know what she means. It has some lag pulling away from junctions. I am still sorting the settings, so will now put it into dynamic and see if she prefers that.
To me it seems the stronic is not always in the right gear.
I am sure it is a bit of user education and get the right settings....

Reactions: jungle650
Mine is about a month old , just gone over 1000 miles so will start building to give it some stick.
Mine was a early 60th present to myself. Same my wife never came to the dealership. She now complains it is too slow ! She preferred our old tdi 170.
Though I do think I know what she means. It has some lag pulling away from junctions. I am still sorting the settings, so will now put it into dynamic and see if she prefers that.
To me it seems the stronic is not always in the right gear.
I am sure it is a bit of user education and get the right settings....

I know what you mean about pulling out, it isn't like having the revs ready and dumping the clutch. I have started to get used to it and the delay of the DSG is easily made up with the traction once you start to move.

Show her launch control and she won't be complaining about any lag :)

Its not so much from say the lights, more like when you come to a roundabout and and rolling slowly.
Of course using paddles will sort it. Have not tried dynamic yet ( was running in) hoping that will make some improvement

Its not so much from say the lights, more like when you come to a roundabout and and rolling slowly.
Of course using paddles will sort it. Have not tried dynamic yet ( was running in) hoping that will make some improvement

Using Dynamic (sports) or manual mode does help but it still isn't the same as a manual

Reactions: veeeight
There was a recent thread about the lag pulling away from busy roundabouts etc:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/full-in-gear-acceleration-some-lag.254742/#post-2580270
Ahh yes that's it exactly.! My wife hates auto's and this does seem a touch dangerous.
To those that say wait for a bigger gap.
In Essex there never is a bigger gap ! Did i buy a 300 hp car to find my 13 year old micra is more responsive ....
I am guessing we will adapt. Like I have learnt to control the start stop with adjusting brake pressure.
At first I would come to a roundabout and find the engine stopping. I actually prefer controlling it like that ,rather than switching off.
Mmm , early days yet and actually like the stronic...but if I can't adapt to this I will seriously consider manual next time.
Tks again V8 for the link.

Reactions: veeeight
I know it's fairly obvious and doesn't totally solve it but knocking it into S as you approach your junction does help a lot. Failing that the paddles are great fun...

I agree with @musicegbdf as had similar on my previous S4. It was one of my gripes with my transition from 20 years Manual driving over to Auto.
There is no middle ground when pulling out, that would otherwise be achievable with some clutch control.
It's either pull away like Miss daisy or launch like Ken Block. Very un-nerving for driver and passengers when entering a busy 40 stretch from a T-Junction. A bit or an exaggeration, maybe, but you get the picture.