S3 Oil Usage

benhancock_uk

Reaction score
Been through a few cars in my time, most recently Peugeot 306 GTI-6, Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor (I know, I know), Lotus Elise 111s...... and this is the first car I've ever owed that seems to use oil in-between service intervals (nearly fell off my chair at £15 a litre).

Tell me this is normal on the S3.....

I have been told that Turbo cars tend to use a lot of oil. Seems like some S3s use quite a lot, others not so much. I would say this was probably normal.

Normal. The 1.8T engine drinks a lot of oil, particularly if you drive hard.

i have just bought 2 litres at weekend for top-ups....does get expensive and seems to get thru the stuff !

Mine is just going past 65k and I did not top up the oil between the 40 & 60k service. Still no oil loss.

My driving is a mixture of town and 1trip a week on the motorway, and I don't hang around

from what the dealers say up to 1ltr per 1000 miles is acceptable ????

Mine goes for ages not using any oil at all and then suddenly uses half a litre. Strange.

it says in the hand book and is normal for the S3 to use upto 1L per 1000 Km so that's a lot of oil to burn in between services, I have to say though, I think my problems with my car were getting worsse for a long time with slow deteriation in performance and more oil consumption, that said wouldn't worry about any turbo or highly tuned engine using oil, they all seem to now.

this includes big V8s down to CTR engines they all use oil...

My 1.8T's done 74K miles and doesn't use any oil whatsoever, but is on fixed 10K servicing and always gets filled with fully synth Mobil 1. Chipping it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Maybe something to do with k03 vs k04 turbo?

I've had two S3's and the current one is using a little bit where the first one used none, so just depends on the individual engine. They say 1ltr per 1k miles to cover their backs, that would be excessive, though the dealer told me they tend to burn down to the half-way mark on the dipstick so no point brimming it.

hi Simon P... that's another damn fine reason to stop listening to the crap that comes out of most dealers, the oil is recommended by the factory to be as close to full as possible, especially with high speed or high load on the engine. The reason my turbo is knackered is that it got starved of oil when it got low because of piston ring failure, an extreme example, but it never even got as far as the low oil warning light coming on and yet it was low enough to knacker the turbo completly... Check your oil regularly, I now actually agree with the handbook where it recommends checking it with every re-fuel.