S3 oil top up?

Dandanfings

Reaction score
So i am not due a service for another 3000 miles or 4 months and i have noticed my oil level is heading towards low on the dip stick, nothing alarming but it needs a top up....
The dealer didn't give my a little bottle in the boot like Skoda did (tight ******** at Audi!) and being OCD i do not want to mix oils, which leads me to my question:

What oil do i use?

I am assuming its Castrol Edge FST 5w-30w
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141586596451?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or is it something more special?

Before its asked i have searched but couldn't find a concrete answer.

Last edited:
i was given a litre of quantum longlife 3 and have just used that

Check under the boot floor? Unlike the 8P that's where mine was, NOT in a pouch velcro'd to the side of the boot?

From factory; my S3 8V came with the following oil (see image attached) - also, once serviced at Leeds Audi; they also drained / refilled using this same oil. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    642.2 KB · Views: 875
Some people will get a top up bottle, some people won't get a top up bottle.

The top up kit supplied with a new car is very much a dealer group thing. Some do, some don't.

Swansway Garage Group (Crewe, Stoke, Stafford Audi) put a bottle in with the zip up case
Listers Group (Worcester, Stratford, Covemtry etc. Audi) don't. Penny pinching. ;)

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/oil-top-up-kit.229817

Reactions: batch
Mine has come with 0w 30 in boot is that ok I assume too then same shell helix ultra professional

So whats correct oil for S3 5W 30 or 0W 30 ?? As my dealer has given me 0W 30 !

The top up kit supplied with a new car is very much a dealer group thing. Some do, some don't.

Swansway Garage Group (Crewe, Stoke, Stafford Audi) put a bottle in with the zip up case
Listers Group (Worcester, Stratford, Covemtry etc. Audi) don't. Penny pinching. ;)

Lol you officially know everything - I never got a bottle either.

I was annoyed seeing the min oil warning few days ago, apparently its normal on a brand new engine, I think my A3 TDI (was also new) needed oil under 8k miles too.

I'm on 6500ish miles and needed a top up. I never checked my V6 8P and changed oil yearly via service - never warned me or had a problem. I just hope this top up is not needed every 6k or so miles....!!!!

None over here. :shrug: :noentrysign::moneybag: < penny pinchers

None from Aberdeen Audi either which is a bit Ironic seen as its the Oil capital lol

I also had one in the boot, Plymouth Audi which I believe is a Marshall Motor Group company.

My local dealer is saying that Audi have told them to use shell helix 0w30 since last year? Is this likely to be true? I am trying to get a 5w30 Castrol kit for my new s3 and telling them this is what is used in factory and I want the same. Am i correct ?

I would be interested to know. I wonder if it is the same as tyres. They have a number of accredited suppliers and switch randomly between them?? Ie Shell, Castrol etc.

My local dealer is saying that Audi have told them to use shell helix 0w30 since last year? Is this likely to be true? I am trying to get a 5w30 Castrol kit for my new s3 and telling them this is what is used in factory and I want the same. Am i correct ?

That is my understanding too. Think they recently changed from Edge to Helix.

The change of brand for after sales and dealerships in a particular country is just a marketing tie up, not a technical reason.

The factory fill 'brand' depends on the bulk deals with any number of suppliers, so one month it will be Castrol, the next it will be Shell etc. Plus because of the multi-sourcing policy of the VW Group you will see various brands arriving at the factory.

Any brand of oil, meeting 504 00 507 00 is the correct oil for the car.

The following brands and oils all meet 504 00
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-749-vw-50400-engine-oil.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: A3_Rider
Where did you find this information from ?

Possibly not the most reliable source but the bloke in the parts department told me of the change when I was trying to get an oil bag - think these were branded Edge and didn't come with the Helix top up.

All about the best deal for them , the factory fill may not also be the winner with 1L bottles at the stealers.

You would of thought it would all be Quantum that VW own .

So dealer has confirmed to me 0w 30 shell ultra av l is the oil they are using and can't get the Castrol anymore. So the bottle i have does now say 504 standard so I will use if needed. I just wonder what grade was used at factory fill and if it was 5w 30 is it ok to mix ?

Factory fill would of been 5W30 , as 0W30 504.00 is a recent variant .

Perfectly fine to mix .

Even if my car was built only two weeks ago ? Is 0w 30 better not sure of difference?

Even if my car was built only two weeks ago ? Is 0w 30 better not sure of difference?

Any oil is better than no oil.

Seriously. It's fine. Just put in any oil conforming to 504 00

You can even mix in non 504 00 spec oil as a top up as long as you don't put more than 0.5 litres in between oil changes.
(see your owners manual page 215 for the full details)

Difference between 0W-30 and 5W30 is winter viscosity.

Last edited:
I use Castrol because I got a great deal on 5 litres :) But like others have said, any 504 00 will do.

For those of you picking up new cars, it's worth asking the dealer before collection. That's what I did.

Nice! How long to go? Are you local to Plymouth Audi?

Estimated first week October.
I'm not chasing it, it'll be here when it's here but man I can't wait! I threw my S1 back at them back in March and haven't had anything since.
I don't miss it but at the same time, I thrive off having a nice car.

I'm from plymouth, so it's only 10 minutes from me.

You local?

Estimated first week October.
I'm not chasing it, it'll be here when it's here but man I can't wait! I threw my S1 back at them back in March and haven't had anything since.
I don't miss it but at the same time, I thrive off having a nice car.

I'm from plymouth, so it's only 10 minutes from me.

You local?
Good stuff! Any reason for sending the S1 back? My brother was considering one for next year..

I'm local to Plymouth yeah, usually around Tamerton/Crownhill/Derriford way!

Good stuff! Any reason for sending the S1 back? My brother was considering one for next year..

I'm local to Plymouth yeah, usually around Tamerton/Crownhill/Derriford way!

The S1 was an awesome car but it kept going wrong.
24 hours old and the steering rack went to pot and every week something else would **** up... In the end I parked it outside their showroom and left it there...it was in the herald lol.
Would I get one again, no. Would I encourage people to get one. Yes. The noise and it's abilities over the moors was just incredible.

Luckily they've been great and have(will have) got me into an s3 in a deal I'm more than happy with.

I'm in peverell. There's two red S3 near me. Can't say I've seen any other around . I'll keep my eyes peeled.

The S1 was an awesome car but it kept going wrong.
24 hours old and the steering rack went to pot and every week something else would **** up... In the end I parked it outside their showroom and left it there...it was in the herald lol.
Would I get one again, no. Would I encourage people to get one. Yes. The noise and it's abilities over the moors was just incredible.

Luckily they've been great and have(will have) got me into an s3 in a deal I'm more than happy with.

I'm in peverell. There's two red S3 near me. Can't say I've seen any other around . I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Brilliant !

I have always had a good experience with Plymouth Audi to be honest, my two previous cars were from here too. Love the styling of the S1, if it was available when I last changed car, I would definitely have had one but the dealer wouldn't let me know when I could order one so ended up in an S3 :p

Have seen a few S3's around here but not sure if they are resident to Plymouth or not. Keep seeing a Blue 63 plate saloon in and around the city centre and quite often parked at the end of the industrial estate behind Union Street. Have seen it in Crownhill a couple times as well. I'm driving a silver S3, not always me driving but most of the time it will be !

What colour is your new one going to be?

You know I remember seeing that article in the paper !! Something along the lines of 'local man leaves broken car outside garage that sold it, instead of helping they tow it away' ha

You know I remember seeing that article in the paper !! Something along the lines of 'local man leaves broken car outside garage that sold it, instead of helping they tow it away' ha

Yup. That was me. They were not happy and were going to take me to court about it...
Shame it had to get to that stage, but in the end it's all worked out for the better.

My S3 will be panther black with black styling pack and privacy glass. Can't say I've seen a black one around locally, not yet anyway.

There's 2 people on the s1 section who's local now also.

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Thats funny....well it isnt funny at all....but I had major problems with my S1 and now have a mythos black S3 sportback with black styling pack etc etc....lost a lot of money on that S1, Audi were hopeless, build quality was shocking ! S3 has been so much better (touch wood) will remain so !

Hats off to you for your direct action !

So, it says Castrol on the oil cap on my MY14 car.

Does it still say Castril or Shell or whoever, on MY15 and later cars?

ZliADuU.jpg