S3 odd power loss

SaintToad

Reaction score
I've got an '09 S3 with MTM remap and turbo-back exhaust. The mod's were done years ago and have given no issues. However, I just noticed an odd loss of power around 3500 rpm. If I floor it, the engine accelerates up to around that point, then hesitates like I took my foot off (can actually see the rev counter drop briefly back), it then recovers and accelerates ok past that point. This is most noticeable in high gears where the revs build more slowly. I can't imagine that I wouldn't have noticed this before. No recent changes to the car, although just filled up with new flavour Shell VPower. Suspecting some engine or management system issue. Any ideas?

I've got an '09 S3 with MTM remap and turbo-back exhaust. The mod's were done years ago and have given no issues. However, I just noticed an odd loss of power around 3500 rpm. If I floor it, the engine accelerates up to around that point, then hesitates like I took my foot off (can actually see the rev counter drop briefly back), it then recovers and accelerates ok past that point. This is most noticeable in high gears where the revs build more slowly. I can't imagine that I wouldn't have noticed this before. No recent changes to the car, although just filled up with new flavour Shell VPower. Suspecting some engine or management system issue. Any ideas?

This is very funny, this is the second report of this new shell fuel causing trouble.

I'd use most of the fuel you've put in and put some BP or the like in instead, let it adapt..

Then report back...

Failing that, spark plugs, coils...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Will try the simple thing with the fuel first and take it from there. Usually run on VPower with good performance, so would be wierd, not to say irritating, if Shell's change to the formula has upset it. Will let you know how I get on...

The fuel thing is probably coincidental as they are just really rebranding.

It's best to get it scanned and see what faults arise. Mine played up a bit with the intake manifold flap.

Where abouts are you based as it may help people with vcds who could scan it for you?

Hope you get it sorted.

Demo'ed the problem to one of the local Audi tech's today: clutch! Recommendation was to fit an uprated one to cope with the engine mods rather than replace with OEM. Now talking to Autohaus Edinburgh about fitting an APR Stage II Daily one, or possibly Sachs.