S3 noises

nskeates

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here as not yet own an S3 but test drove one today. It was a 2012 black edition.
I currently own a 2011 TTS which gives a very different drive and sound to the S3 I drove today that's why I'm asking a couple of questions.
1) do you get a quite load induction noise upon acceleration as I do not get this in my TTS.
2) Is the exhaust quite loud growl when accelerating hard ? With TTS it's more of a deep throat noise.

Thanks for any help

2 different air filter set ups and so different induction notes. The exhaust sets ups are different too. The S3 exhaust comes alive over 3k revs as the valve opens up in the lft tail pipe. Are you sure the S3 was standard as any modifications will affect the sound

Thanks for reply. Was at a main dealership but not an audi one so got no history if ant mods have been made. Could not see anything obvious under the bonnet but it did seem to be faster than the TTS.

My S3 makes many different fast noises and is for sale

I don't remember stock intake making much in terms of induction noise. Could be an aftermarket intake or filter on the car.

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any issues that could could a loud induction noise apart from aftermarket air filters ? There was a slight misfire under load which the dealer said it would sort out so wonder if a leaking hose could cause the noise ? As I said couldn't see any obvious mods under the bonnet. Thanks Neil

Could well be a boost leak and it wouldn't always be obvious. A decent mechanic should be able to identify it.

Have you checked to see if there is a filter in the engine cover ?