S3 News

I argree

Each To Thier Own over DSG / VS Gear Stick

Some people love DSG and other hate it, buts nice to have the choice.

Sometimes its nice just to stick it into D and relax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I totally agree, without choice we'd all be very bored

I love DSG, it suits me down to the ground,

I can see why some would prefer a manual - live and let live

[ QUOTE ]
I totally agree, without choice we'd all be very bored

I love DSG, it suits me down to the ground,

I can see why some would prefer a manual - live and let live

[/ QUOTE ]

That should read 'live and let limp (eventually)' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

It quite strange, some people are quite happy to accept on a 'sports' version such as the S3, an electronic throttle, power assisted steering, power assisted brakes, ABS, ESP automatic wipers, automatic lights, electric windows etc etc but mention the idea of 'power assisted gear changing' and they get very protective over old fashioned manual cog changing.

The DSG is basically just 'power assisted gear changing' especially if, like me, you drive using the tip-tronic mode all the time. The only time I use the D mode is in a stop start traffic jam where it does away with the need to keeping pushing the clutch pedal every minute or so. The only automatic part for me is that it stops me getting it totally wrong by overiding my choice of gear if I'm in too higher or lower gear for the engine revs. It also very kindly puts the gearbox into first gear whenever I stop.

Apart from that there is no 'automation' just power assisted power on gear changing.

But as everyone has said, at least Audi give use the choice of an old fashioned manual or a very modern up-to-date DSG and we pays our money and takes our choice.

David, very well put

(light the blue touch paper and step away from the ensuing explosion)

Thats true, power brakes/steering etc, BUT (There's always a "but") when they fitted the "power steering" they did'nt give me a play station joy stick to control it with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

With a remote control gamepad, we could all try being back seat drivers !

Well said David, thats really summed it up.
Spot on mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Like i said before, you have to live with DSG for a few months to really appreciate it.

DSG is a progression of a standard gearbox, although some people do prefer the traditional gearbox, its good that Audi are ahead of the game.
Ferrari, Aston Martin, and most other high end performance car manufacturers have evaluated similar systems and opted to put them on some of their best cars, so they provide enough added driver involvement for them.

If we ignored all technological improvements in the motoring world, we'd all be driving model T fords, its constantly evolving, and these systems are being offered on more and more cars, and becoming the transmission of choice.

If you want driver involvement, buy a Lotus Elise, its very communicative, and its light weight and direct steering make it a very involving drive, but really, an Audi A3 is hardly going to be less involving because you use paddles to shift with, they're less involving because they're high end luxury hatchbacks!!

They'll never be driver orientated, involving cars, so to try and make it more involving by pushing a gearstick about is like trying to make a fat bird sexy by putting her into a size 8, it doesnt work because it was never made for the job.

[ QUOTE ]

They'll never be driver orientated, involving cars, so to try and make it more involving by pushing a gearstick about is like trying to make a fat bird sexy by putting her into a size 8, it doesnt work because it was never made for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!!

some valid points there too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

....but mainly crap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

DSG was originally toyed with by audi in the early 80s with the UR sport development? longitudinal layout and 4wd - basically designed to try to get flat out smooth changes to get the most out of their turbo lagged 5 pot motor (i have recently driven a swb sport and believe me things have moved on in the last 20 years! lag and roll!)

would be interesting to see audi reduce the weight and put bigger (laggier) turbos on an S or RS version oposed to making lard cars with small turbos

dsg and lack of feel - having had a a4 sline manual as a courtesy car yesterday - why on earth would you want the feel of that rubbish box? prehistoric feel to it (mk 3 golf with cable shift?) - very much the weak link in my opinion.

See the thread about the new Audi Roadjet concept car - it seems they are developing a 7gear DSG for the longitudinal mounted engines. The current DSG was developed by Volkswagen engineers for transverse engines because all VWs now have transverse engines.

[ QUOTE ]
No more S3 news then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The dsg is really a replacement for the auto box,(all the advantages of a manual none of the disadvatages of an auto) or perhaps audi would have us belive it is convergance

this is a great thread for the S3 lets keep i alive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the S3 ought to be a v6 as the S4 is a v8 and there is already a v6 A3, the problem is all that weight up front in a compact car.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the S3 ought to be a v6 as the S4 is a v8 and there is already a v6 A3, the problem is all that weight up front in a compact car.

[/ QUOTE ]

stick a turbo on the v6 - Job Done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I took the 3.2 out for a spin last night and too be honest (it was the first time i drove it for 2 weeks) it was a bit Boring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Its so Planted and so behaved, it needs another 100 BHP to bring it to life.

Overtaking 120+ comes up so quickly, its just so easy and laid back.

Time for a change i think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The current DSG was developed by Volkswagen engineers for transverse engines because all VWs now have transverse engines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apart from the Touareg and the Phaeton you mean... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

new_audi_s3.jpg

fourtitude S3 news

If it ends up looking like that I won't be happy.

rubbish. not aggressive enough. It really doens't suit a 5 door either.

[ QUOTE ]
rubbish. not aggressive enough. It really doens't suit a 5 door either.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only a photoshop by the guy at Fourtitude. Looks like he just spliced together the front of an S4 and the rear of a sportback. They don't have 3 door 8P's over there.

If you look at the spy pics of the yellow car in the snow, and then look at the links posted above you can get a much better idea of what it will look like IMO as those illustrations fit exactly with the spy pics.

I'm hoping there's enough new design to separate it from the A3 S-line.

SMG, DSG, Tiptronic = spackatronic!

While both my knees function properly it will always be a manual for me. Pehaps when I require a nebuliser, heart moniter and rubber knickers I will change my mind.

Back to the S3 though, I think it will be more S4 styled (polished mirrors and same grilles) than RS honeycombe and brushed mirrors!

"While both my knees function properly"
The trouble is for many people that knees and ankles start to give some jip a lot earlier than you may appreciate , i don't know how old you are but mine are only ok'ish (if i don't abuse them, ie no jogging etc) and i'm only 38 *** :eek: dsg here i come , i've also done a gizzilion clutch operations over a couple of decades of work/pleasure driving and i'm goddam sick of it :( , i didn't want a traditional auto so when the chance of a dsg car came along i jumped a t the chance [i'm picking it up Tuesday,an A3 3.2 Quattro DSG :D :D :D ] i chopped in a UK de-cat impreza so it's quite different but i can't really say the scooby was all out quicker allround 0-60 maybe [impreza only 1235 kilos]audi about 1700? ;) but once they're both moving 60+ they're very similar DSG makes for quicker acc once moving 'cos no letting off for gearchanges ,scooby was raw but it wears a bit thin after a few years , well it did for me ....

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but does anybody know if this is the new Symphony sound system being launched by Audi in this S3 pic. The Screen seems too small for it to be the Nav.

Cheers.