S3 nasty smell inside

spencerjoel

Reaction score
hey guys,
It's been a while since I've been on here, had a few years driving a REALLY boring diesel, but now I've got a lovely 65 plate S3, and it's a beast!!

But, over the last week or so it's developed a really nasty smell inside, I can only describe it as the smell of mouldy/rotten food. I never allow eating in the car and I've checked everywhere for signs of a stray chicken wing!!! But I can't find any signs of anything

It's a long shot I know, but has anyone else had a similar problem? Maybe caused by A/C or something?

It's really frustrating driving around in a lovely car that smells like a wheely bin

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Sure it isn't water leaking in somewhere? Just wondering because you say it has only been recently, roughly around when bad weather started?

Checked if the floor carpets etc are all dry?

Might be completely off but just a guess :)

I haven't specifically checked for water ingress but I have been all over on hands and knees getting my beak in as many places as possible to try to narrow down the source of the odour and haven't noticed any wet.

But I will have another check for wet carpets etc, thanks for the suggestion

Reactions: azibux1
It could be to do with the A/C not getting used frequently enough. My A3 did this, but once I ran it for a few days it soon cleared itself out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I second that, mine had a leaking roof leaded to soaking wet driver front and rear floor carpets.. Stealer fixed it eventually taking all carpets off and blow drying them, and I had to change the cabin filter too just to get rid of all the smell afterwards.

Yeah otherwise I'm out of ideas I'm afraid haha, haven't seen anyone reporting similar issues

@RyanCudlip's suggestions sounds possible too

@RyanCudlip good call, I've not had the A/C on for a while so could be connected. I'll run it for a few days see if it improves.

I will also check for any signs of water, especially around the pan roof I guess

Cheers chaps!!

It could be, I hate to say it......a dead mouse. If it is, that is not a good sign, as they can destroy wiring etc.
This is the time of the year that they search for a dry, warm, dark place

EDIT....check in your engine area, especially around the battery area and look for nesting material or droppings

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
I'd start with the ac. Run it warm to hot - it's cold out anyway - and with ac on.

I didn't use my ac and used to get the exact same musty smell you are talking about.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
@RyanCudlip good call, I've not had the A/C on for a while so could be connected. I'll run it for a few days see if it improves.

I will also check for any signs of water, especially around the pan roof I guess

Cheers chaps!!

It is recommended that the Aircon is run regularly (every couple of weeks ideally) else the seals can dry out and you could be looking at a hefty bill. I keep my Aircon on all the time as even in the winter it helps to keep the condensation away. And before anyone says "yes but it uses more fuel", I don't care!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: davc and Martinbanshee
It is recommended that the Aircon is run regularly (every couple of weeks ideally) else the seals can dry out and you could be looking at a hefty bill. I keep my Aircon on all the time as even in the winter it helps to keep the condensation away. And before anyone says "yes but it uses more fuel", I don't care!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think these days the extra consumption has vastly reduced.
A car uses less fuel to run an air-conditioning system than it will use due to the aerodynamic drag on a vehicle when its windows are open," says James Bertrand, who heads the thermal systems division at Delphi Corporation, one of the world's largest automotive suppliers. “It is often more fuel efficient to drive with the air conditioning on than with the aircon off and the windows rolled down, particularly when driving on the highway."

Delphi admits an air-conditioning system increases the load on an engine, but the latest designs of pumps are far more efficient and effective than aircon in the early days. American testing shows aircon can account for approximately five per cent of a car's annual fuel bill, but Delphi says modern energy-efficient systems can halve the running costs.

Reactions: xpoweruk and glospete
Did you get this resolved? I was at audi getting a tyre replaced on tyre insurance and a guy I know with a Q5 turned up with same issue... bad smell in car.... his was more fuel smell.

Audi were familiar with the issue.... saw it before and solved it whilst he waited (would assume 1hr). Anyways listening in like a nosey sod I am.... I am sure they said something to do with the water in the washer fluid. His was a 64 plate Q3 and this was 2months back.

Moral of story.... go to audi should be able to resolve.

As others have said, the A/C is a prime candidate for build-up of stinky bacterial stuff in the airways. You can buy A/C cleaner, which is an aerosol can with a locking trigger - you put the A/C on full and recirc, then depress the trigger and leave the can venting inside the car for 20 mins or so. The vapour gets pulled through the system and kills the bacteria.

The washer fluid suggestion is also a good one - I've had some really stinky stuff from time to time. Just squirt it all out and refill from fresh.

Cheers guys for the suggestions. I've been out in the car this morning and as normal there was a nasty smell at first. As a test I tried driving for 5 mins with the fans/AC completely off and the smell remained, then turning the AC on to 26 deg pretty much got rid of the smell immediately.

After then leaving the car for 30 mins (turned off) the smell had returned and again turning the AC on removed the smell

I think I'll give the A/C cleaner a go as @steverobertsbbc suggests

I'd put a fresh pollen filter in & use an aircon bomb

As Xpoweruk suggests
you could have mould buildup in your ducting and cabin air filter

Replace your filter, run the HVAC at full hot for a few minutes and also use a fungicide.

The fact that the smell is there initially & then goes, but returns after being switched off again indicates that it's a microbacterial build up on the evaporator so the air con bomb / fan on recirc repair is the way to go.

Just a word of caution when using an A/C aerosol cleaner... they can leave residue if they're too close to things like the dashboard plastic etc. It's worth using a few towels to mask off the as much of the interior as possible before using one.

Just a word of caution when using an A/C aerosol cleaner... they can leave residue if they're too close to things like the dashboard plastic etc. It's worth using a few towels to mask off the as much of the interior as possible before using one.

Thanks for the tip, I did wonder about residue on the leather etc. I'll get it covered up

Put the A/C on with the heating also on a very high setting for 5-10 minutes, leave the windows open slightly And remain with the car.

This can dry out any rogue moisture lurking in the system.

The smell wouldn't have anything to do with this being your rear view mirror??? :D

Magic Tree

Reactions: spencerjoel and richinsoton
OK, I "think" it has gone!

yesterday I ran the AC on full heat for a good 10 minutes, then later when I got home did an AC Bomb, followed by a pollen filter change, and since yesterday evening the smell hasnt returned. So fingers crossed its all sorted.

Im not sure which action fixed it but quite frankly I dont care! Only cost about £15 for the AC Bomb and pollen filter so no problems there and now I don't have to be embarrassed when anybody gets in the car!!!

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated!!!!

Reactions: Jcbmally and azibux1