S3 Mudflaps

To stop mud going up the sides of the flared bodywork and stones causing stone chips all along the sides of the car?

Reactions: illingworth22
I suggest you do a search as there is a post on adapting the Audi mudflaps to fit an S-Line with pictures...

Last edited:
To stop mud going up the sides of the flared bodywork and stones causing stone chips all along the sides of the car?
Didn't know that V8 ;):D

Ok then. My answer should have been - Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :keule::keule::keule:

But like everything in life, each to their own ... :thumbs up:

Yes it has been done. Some of us also drive on rural roads and totally understand your need to have mud flaps.

Here is a link...

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s-line-mudflaps.213873/#post-2159574

Note: there is a difference between A3 3 door and A3 5 door rear mud flaps. I was originally given 3 door rear mud flaps to fit to my wife's Sportback.

I don't think the front mud flaps fit that well either. Though I was assured they were the correct part.

Last edited:
I think I would rather pay for a full respray

Reactions: jaguar1187 and Bristle Hound
Steady chaps.

There are places in this country where tractors roam and cows poo (i.e.: the countryside) and if you have the fortune to live in such places, you need to do all you can to minimise your car getting splattered on every journey.

It's OK for all you urban folk, who can spend hours detailing your car and panicking about every bird dropping ......

Reactions: Daz Auto
Steady chaps.

There are places in this country where tractors roam and cows poo (i.e.: the countryside) and if you have the fortune to live in such places, you need to do all you can to minimise your car getting splattered on every journey.

It's OK for all you urban folk, who can spend hours detailing your car and panicking about every bird dropping ......

I drive all manner of roads, country roads are my favourites then go home to wash it lol

I'd fit them if they fit easily and looked good, sadly the A3 ones don't do either, which is unfortunate as they do protect from stone chips.

Everyone should panic about leaving bird droppings on V8. They burn thro' your clear coat if left on too long :keule:

He's on about the removal off fallout and not the detrimental effect it has on your paintwork.
Ahh, V8 didnt explain that. I thought we still on about bird cr@p

The best finish on a car IMO is obtained with the best prep work, which includes de-iron & de-tar BUT Detailing is a very subjective matter. What works for me might not work for others

So.

Given that its going to be a very similar effect of tractor mud, cow sh1t, bird poo that causes imperfections in your clear coat, I think it's perfectly reasonable that folk might want to keep as much muck off their cars by using mudflaps!

Granted they may not be the prettiest things in the world, but sometimes function > form if you have to drive around farm tracks daily! :)

Yerrrrr

735d7aa5420422593f8c0d29417a39ab.jpg

13bedf9ea52a938a0e735377f728eed6.jpg

I just knew you'd be a fan of those :p

Since the absence of mudflaps on modern cars with body kits on - I've also noticed a rise in stones and gravel being "flicked up" by the car in front, especially if they have wide tyres.

The front of my 8P was like a pimpled teenager, full of road rash.

I just knew you'd be a fan of those :p

Since the absence of mudflaps on modern cars with body kits on - I've also noticed a rise in stones and gravel being "flicked up" by the car in front, especially if they have wide tyres.

The front of my 8P was like a pimpled teenager, full of road rash.

I wouldn't have them on mine but it's a homage to proper rally cars.

Yer my 8P bonnet definitely needs a re-spray.

I was on about Bird Poo.

Thought you were. Chall's getting me into trouble, AGAIN! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Internet myth machine is still abuzz about the properties of bird poo and the effects on lacquer. It doesn't "burn through" clear coat.

Do you want to do a test V8. Leave the bird poo on your pride and joy for 3 months and see if your theory's true :lick::D

Still think Autoglym are full of BS, they says its a myth then actively sell a product to remove it! :keule:

You vs Autoglym......

Hmmm.....

PS. In the winter I do leave bird poo on for days, doesn't affect it.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
You vs Autoglym......

Hmmm.....

PS. In the winter I do leave bird poo on for days, doesn't affect it.

Yup, got to agree Autoglym is bigger than one man (or Hound ;))

We'll call it a truce V8 & agree to disagree. Fair enough my friend?

Reactions: veeeight
So.

Given that its going to be a very similar effect of tractor mud, cow sh1t, bird poo that causes imperfections in your clear coat, I think it's perfectly reasonable that folk might want to keep as much muck off their cars by using mudflaps!

Granted they may not be the prettiest things in the world, but sometimes function > form if you have to drive around farm tracks daily! :)

Mudflaps are only partially good at keeping mud off the sides of the car because when you are moving most of it comes out the sides of the wheels then onto your bodywork. I have had mudflaps on all of my cars since 2008 and too be honest, as my present a3 hasn't got them, I've not really noticed a great deal of difference. But then I avoid any road, if I can, that has anything brown on it's surface.

Bird poo? I've seen first hand where bird poo has not only gone through lacquer but got as far as e coat. Don't forget what the little buggers eat during the summer and autumn. Fruit juice can be very acidic.

Clearly, your experience differs from Autoglym & Honest John's extensive research about the mechanics of damage to paint by bird droppings:

"New research from Autoglym, the UK’s leading car care experts, suggests that the familiar sight of car bodywork ‘etched’ by bird droppings are not the result of any corrosive property in the deposit, as is commonly believed.

Autoglym’s tests with strongly acidic, neutral and strongly alkali bird dropping substitutes highlighted negligible differences in the damage caused."

http://www.autoglym.com/news_articles/new-research-dispels-myth-of-why-bird-droppings-damage-paint

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...ppings-off-our-range-rover-evoque-s-paintwork

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bird-poo.223029/#post-2221615

Autoglym, the world’s leading car care expert, welcomes the rulings from the Advertising Standards Authority relating to the misleading advertising of two paint protection products. Autoglym believes that the decision is a win for consumers and dealerships, who will benefit from clearer and more accurate information.

The rulings (case numbers A13-219676/KH and A13-219670) related to claims made in adverts for two car care firms that their paint protection products were able to protect against, or delay the corrosive effects of, bird droppings. The ASA ruled in both cases that the advertising claims could not be substantiated and were therefore misleading. It ordered that the adverts must not appear again in their current form.

August 2013

edit:
Even Cquartz won't prevent distortion, according to the threads on DW.

Last edited: