S3 MPG -what's yours?

This my recent attempt at sensible mpg(doesn't happen often).... This was roughly 70 miles dual carriageway.

.............and still 205miles on the dis with over half a tank left!!

Put yer bleedin foot down man ***!! lol

Reactions: pburv and Sam@ Stxtuning
.............and still 205miles on the dis with over half a tank left!!

Put yer bleedin foot down man ***!! lol
Lol...I still had to get back home....Managed 27mpg.......Not in eco mode.....Brmmm Brmmmm!

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
The very worst you'll get on a gallon of petrol is 22mpg.....it won't go lower than that given its almost a 11 gallon tank equals 240 miles to a tank.....
As for doing 168 mph "speedo reading" *** don't you want to live.....S3 would be incredibly unstable at anywhere near that speed av had mine's at 115 mph never again ok it wasn't on the best Road surface.... But can't imagine how it would be on any road surface at its limited speed 155mph...

Barring Gatwicks runway lol that would be OK lol

Reactions: sgtvic, Daytonapig, Simon L and 2 others
l personally don't look at the greenpeace...read out any more,nor do l fill the tank...half full or just over/half empty or just under which ever way you look at it lol as l don't see the point of carry excess weight...av actually enjoyed driving my car the last 2 days....and av not got a tempreture trust me...lol why l dont know....maybe because av had the sunrrof open and been giving it some...ye can hear the exhaust much better with a pan-roof open...hint hint...best option on a S3....ME NEXT CARS MPG....will be a lot worse l think...so l better plan ahead....lol

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
l personally don't look at the greenpeace...read out any more,nor do l fill the tank...half full or just over/half empty or just under which ever way you look at it lol as l don't see the point of carry excess weight...av actually enjoyed driving my car the last 2 days....and av not got a tempreture trust me...lol why l dont know....maybe because av had the sunrrof open and been giving it some...ye can hear the exhaust much better with a pan-roof open...hint hint...best option on a S3....ME NEXT CARS MPG....will be a lot worse l think...so l better plan ahead....lol
If it's going to be what I think it is then you might have to have a really good plan...lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
If it's going to be what I think it is then you might have to have a really good plan...lol

.......and one of these in the boot...... lol

0133793_l.jpg

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Im being 100% serious - The most ive had from a full tank in the 6000 miles ive done is 210 miles and that is serious good driving. Ill be honest tho my driving styles dynamic ha. When i refuel for full tank £60 odd quid the dash shows 225 miles although when i first bought the car it use to say 275-300.

Also people whats the top speed youve got your S3 8V's upto? I got upto 168mph on my *private racetrack* lol. Not sure how tho as i thought they are restricted to 155mph?

You seriously need to slow down a bit and take some chill pills and stop driving like a **** before you do some serious damage or at least take your foot off the smile pedal when sitting at the lights

Last edited:
Reactions: Richierich37, richinsoton, Jassyo06 and 2 others
You seriously need to slow down a bit and take some chill pills and stop driving like a **** before you do some serious damage or at least take your foot off the smile pedal when sitting at the lights
Dont get me wrong im a cautious driver but if i see an oppurtunity to floor it my s3 is ready haha! Overall great cars!

Had the car for almost a month now and covered 940 miles from new, its been permanently in dynamic mode and I haven't gone on any long journeys so it's just been to work and back etc. If i drive normally (which is to say very sensibly indeed) I have been getting 32.5 MPG on a commute, Which is not bad for a 2L petrol, once upon a time i had a Mk5 Golf GTI and that returned 31 MPG in similar driving conditions and that very same commute.

That being said, if my driving becomes a little more "spirited" that figure quickly dives to about 21 MPG, with the lowest recorded being 19 MPG.

In my opinion the S3 is ruthlessly efficient for a 310PS engine, which makes it very livable, but it is a powerful car and if you do put your foot down it'll remind you of that by draining the tank at a very alarming rate.

I am hoping once the engine loosens up a bit it'll be 1-2 MPG better, but really i didn't get it for its frugality.

As a final note I don't ever fill the tank to the brim (i usually 3/4 fill it) which is something i have always done, my idea is that that it'll be marginally lighter and therefore by extension more efficient (whether or not that actually is the case is anyone's guess).

And it's only ever had Vpower (and will only ever have) in it, which is quite easy for me to do as there are about 4 shell petrol stations within 2 miles from home and where I usually work.

Reactions: Gordo77 and pburv
I've had my S3 saloon (manual) since November 2014 and for the most part I only do little local journeys, with every now and then a longer run. I've still not quite clocked up 6,000 miles, but my mpg is usually in the mid-twenties. When I've been away on holiday it improves dramatically to the low thirties. I drive 'sensibly' (but always in dynamic mode) as herself doesn't like speed, but just every now and then I gun it when I'm out on my own. It's good to know that there's all that grunt there!

In answer to the person who said that he can always tell whether the car's been set to eco-mode by looking at the quad-pipes .. I always reverse my car onto the drive where I can see the back of it every time I'm in the front room. I give the pipes a little wipe with a damp cloth when I'm done for the day ... they look so good when all nice and shiny!

Reactions: pburv
Just passed 32600 miles since October 2014 and average is 36.9mpg with a mix of long journeys and the occasional blast down a B-road. I don't however use it in Dynamic very often, usually Auto with a quick pull down of the lever when I want sport mode for overtakes. One thing I have noticed is the sound just gets better the more miles you put on one. The exhaust note is so much louder now than when it was new.

Reactions: Gordo77
I used to be able to get 42mpg repeatedly to Hull from York, then I put new Eagle Asy 2 tyres on it and it's totally shafted it by like 7mpg not even a joke. Around town 22 if you drive like a ****.

I can't believe anyone can get 40+ mpg from a properly driven S3!

My S3 saloon is 23 months old, has done 7,500 miles and is always fed 98 octane fuel (usually BP). It has a manual gearbox, I have the drive mode set to dynamic 100% of the time and I occasionally give it some serious welly, although for the most part I drive sensibly and absolutely never like a **** (tyre condition will bear that out). My fuel consumption has varied between 20.3 (lowest ever) and 34.9 (after a long drive to and from a holiday destination), but looking at my log I would say that I usually get around 25 or 26 mpg.

I'm quite happy with that and, as others have said, owning an S3 isn't about fuel consumption, it's about the sheer joy of driving.

Reactions: richinsoton, Simon L and pburv
I can't believe anyone can get 40+ mpg from a properly driven S3!

My S3 saloon is 23 months old, has done 7,500 miles and is always fed 98 octane fuel (usually BP). It has a manual gearbox, I have the drive mode set to dynamic 100% of the time and I occasionally give it some serious welly, although for the most part I drive sensibly and absolutely never like a **** (tyre condition will bear that out). My fuel consumption has varied between 20.3 (lowest ever) and 34.9 (after a long drive to and from a holiday destination), but looking at my log I would say that I usually get around 25 or 26 mpg.

I'm quite happy with that and, as others have said, owning an S3 isn't about fuel consumption, it's about the sheer joy of driving.
That's about what I'm getting on mine...Usually set on auto...About the norm for an S3 then?:friends:

I did 75miles the other day visiting a couple of local gorges in the S3 and averaged 48.3mpg
Then coming home via the D607/D74 averaged 18.4mpg over the same distance (middle of nowhere and no traffic etc)...........wonder which one the wife preferred. Constantly amazed at the ability of the engine to pootle around then go like the clappers when the driver is in the mood.
17k mile average is 32.4mpg.

As for instability at speed, either the road is knackered or the car. Mine gets a bit floaty at the front end when driving in Europe close to top speed but anything up to maybe 15mph below top absolutely stable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
How many miles are people tending to get per tank?

What's the recommended run in period?

How many miles are people tending to get per tank?

What's the recommended run in period?

Literally depends on the driving. I've had my car 2 weeks, the first week I managed to get 320 miles on a full tank which consisted of motorway miles, going to work (5 minute drive), on shorter journeys I've had 270 miles out of a full tank.

I spoke to Audi about a run in period, they said there is no longer a run in period as all of the engines are tested to their maximum and driven hard before the customer gets it. I've done 820 miles in 2 weeks and I've driven it hard and like a baby and it's been fine for me. Not had any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally depends on the driving. I've had my car 2 weeks, the first week I managed to get 320 miles on a full tank which consisted of motorway miles, going to work (5 minute drive), on shorter journeys I've had 270 miles out of a full tank.

I spoke to Audi about a run in period, they said there is no longer a run in period as all of the engines are tested to their maximum and driven hard before the customer gets it. I've done 820 miles in 2 weeks and I've driven it hard and like a baby and it's been fine for me. Not had any problems

Thanks for the reply, moving from a ultra tdi TT, bracing myself for more visits to the pump....

Thanks for the reply, moving from a ultra tdi TT, bracing myself for more visits to the pump....

I'll be honest, I had a fabia vRS previously and I was filling up 40-50 quid, was averaging probably 34 mpg during the 2 years I had it which isn't bad.

The bit that scares me is that the S3 has a much bigger fuel tank, and if your not careful you can average 15-20 mpg. On the motorway, if you put it in comfort or efficiency you can easily average 32-40 mpg.

For what it is, compared to my fabia, I haven't really gained anything, other than the fact that you tend to enjoy it, and expect a higher fuel bill due to the bigger tank. Though for you, I assume the TT has similar fuel lol capacity, though being diesel helps I guess.

I'll be honest, I had a fabia vRS previously and I was filling up 40-50 quid, was averaging probably 34 mpg during the 2 years I had it which isn't bad.

The bit that scares me is that the S3 has a much bigger fuel tank, and if your not careful you can average 15-20 mpg. On the motorway, if you put it in comfort or efficiency you can easily average 32-40 mpg.

For what it is, compared to my fabia, I haven't really gained anything, other than the fact that you tend to enjoy it, and expect a higher fuel bill due to the bigger tank. Though for you, I assume the TT has similar fuel lol capacity, though being diesel helps I guess.

The new TT Diesel engine is really really efficient, over 30k miles mine has averaged 52 mpg, mostly motorway driving.

I'll be happy to get high 30's in the S3 on my motorway commute then just enjoy it at the weekends.

Reactions: Gordo77, samo26, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
It could be much worse. My mate has an XF-R and get's 12 mpg and it has a huge tank. He needs a mortgage each time he visits the petrol station ;)

Reactions: Gordo77, Audi Bairn and azibux1
It could be much worse. My mate has an XF-R and get's 12 mpg and it has a huge tank. He needs a mortgage each time he visits the petrol station ;)
That noise when you press the loud pedal makes it all worth it though :p

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
If you drive whatever A3/S3 steady you will get the same MPG in any of the modes. The modes do not change engine mapping, just the setting of the accelerator potentiometer. Now many modern motorbikes have different engine maps depending on the mode selected, they also change overall max power output. Dont know why cars dont do this, I suppose with four wheels on the ground (most of the time at least) they dont need it.

Reactions: TDI-line, pburv and Audi Bairn
If you drive whatever A3/S3 steady you will get the same MPG in any of the modes.

Sorry, but this is simply not true - certainly not for an S-Tronic S3, which I have experience with. If you drive at a steady 30mph in Sport mode you will likely be in gear 3 (maybe 4). If you are in Economy then you will be in gear 6 (maybe 5 if it is slightly uphill). Other things that are affected by Economy mode are aircon and cruise control. When in Eco, the aircon uses less fuel and using cruise control the car will stay within +/- 5mph (estimate) but in dynamic etc it will be more like +/- 2mph (again, estimate). These latter 2 points are less of an impact but will also affect the manual cars too.

Reactions: pburv, WarwickL and Audi Bairn
I'm not convinced you ever get full boost in efficiency mode...? I've since taken mine out of efficiency!

Reactions: pburv and Matt Titanium
I'm not convinced you ever get full boost in efficiency mode...? I've since taken mine out of efficiency!
No I don't think you do either, if I put my TT into efficiency there is definitely a power drop off, the mpg does improve significantly at steady speeds though as a result.

I'd agree with this as well, prefer to call it winter mode for wet slippery roads.Cruise control is certainly not as lively either. Efficiency mode doesn't seem to make any difference to the DIS calculated mpg figure but the restrained acceleration does make a difference to the real world fuel consumption. The advantage is going back to dynamic you notice the difference and enjoy the comedy throttle response all over again.

Does the efficiency mode setting affect the cylinders? I've noted that efficiency is good for cruisin on motorways. But as soon as you want to accelerate hard, you got to use full throttle.

No CoD, dulled throttle response encourages less spirited driving. Its hard acceleration that drinks fuel.

I feel like I've replied to this thread before but here we go.

Driving like a **** I.e only short hard accelerations around town or something about 17 mpg.

A spirited medium length journey probably kicks around 27-30 mpg.

Driving about 40-65 consistently for more than 40 miles I can get 40-42, including any gentle town driving at either end for journey.

York to Hull normally get 39/40 mpg but it's average speed and best ever is 43 mpg I think. Less now it's getting wintery!

I got from central York to central London and back on less than 1 tank. Had about 40 miles left when I got back (and a passenger).

I run it on Tesco but used to run on V Power. Occasionally use Redex.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Driving like a **** I.e only short hard accelerations around town or something about 17 mpg.

Driving about 40-65 consistently for more than 40 miles I can get 40-42, including any gentle town driving at either end for journey.

York to Hull normally get 39/40 mpg but it's average speed and best ever is 43 mpg I think. Less now it's getting wintery!

I got from central York to central London and back on less than 1 tank. Had about 40 miles left when I got back (and a passenger).

That's not bad at all for Quattro and 300 or so

That's not bad at all for Quattro and 300 or so
Nah, yeah, it can be awesome. In summer in perfect conditions the instantaneous mpg has gone above 50 when trundling along at 45 in 6th. Wish I had the FL 7 speed, don't care about VC. Wonder if you can retrofit ha ha.

I think the Quattro is part time in these, only drives all four when it needs to save fuels.

Any reason other than price I assume you changed from V power to Tesco ?