S3 MPG - what are you guys doing??

Irish

Reaction score
I have yet to manage more than 240 miles / 390 kms out of a tank !

Computer pretty much says 22/23 mpg most of the time.

I have a mate with an Astra VXR and he gets 600 kms out of a tank sometimes?!

Im about the same as you Irish, No more than 260miles out of a full tank costing around £50-55. :(

hard lines boys - thats what you get lol

to be honest, if i had an S3, i wouldnt care!

It's just curiosity Boydie !! I think we can all agree that we can afford to run the cars we've bought !!

i wouldnt complain either with the price of your fuel down south compared to the north :moa:

i love going down south with work and getting a full tank of derv for £30 :D

unfortunately im not reasonabley close to the border to fill :(

mainly work out of belfast but londonderry is only 25miles away from my home town but still not worth a 50+mile round trip for cheap fuel.

Irish said:
I have yet to manage more than 240 miles / 390 kms out of a tank !

Computer pretty much says 22/23 mpg most of the time.

I have a mate with an Astra VXR and he gets 600 kms out of a tank sometimes?!

I have driven 270 km now and I have consumed half of the tank. But this is very common on new cars, after a while the consumtion will drop.

Irish

I was shocked too with my new S3, Iv'e been driving it really carefully to run it in and struggle to get 26mpg on a motorway run!!

The officical figures are 31mpg combined!

At this rate I was getting over 100 miles more out of my old S3!!

JamS3 said:
Irish

I was shocked too with my new S3, Iv'e been driving it really carefully to run it in and struggle to get 26mpg on a motorway run!!

The officical figures are 31mpg combined!

At this rate I was getting over 100 miles more out of my old S3!!

Thats is supposingly better than the 8L S3 which just doesnt make much sense.

On my previous 2 8L S3's I was constantly getting around 32mpg over all types of driving and always around 340miles out of a full tank, 200 to half a tank everytime.

And no I didn't hang about in it either!

Like people say though its a new car and hopefully will improve in time

:uhm: :uhm: :uhm: This is what I feel when miles and gallons are mentioned. What is one mile in km? Gallons vs litres?

JamS3 said:
On my previous 2 8L S3's I was constantly getting around 32mpg over all types of driving and always around 340miles out of a full tank, 200 to half a tank everytime.

And no I didn't hang about in it either!

Like people say though its a new car and hopefully will improve in time

My 8L seems to always sit around 22-23

My 8L S3 on mostly town driving, maybe a 10-15min spell on the motorway twice a week, tends to sit at 26mpg, and about 260-270 until the "more-petrol-chime".

I'm expecting the new S3 to be worse to be honest, but hopefully not as bad as 4.2 v8 S4 !! :)

AL

my S3 seems to be gulping at a similar rate to my old R32 :laugh:

but for some reason I dont mind.....

:blink:

I have not long brought mine but since the last fill £55 I have done 160 miles and still have over half a tank left :)

Trip is saying 28.5mpg and most of this is town driving so happy so far.

Jesus 22mpg has put me off the idea of an S3 a bit. Doing 350-400 miles a week that would mean I'd need to sell the burd on ebay!

Took a trip to Stockholm yesterday and drove around 130 km/h most of the time on the highway for 150 km. Came just back and the computer says it has consumed 0,91 l /10km.

I think thats acepteble.

My S3 arrived at the dealers today, went to see it. Pick it up Friday next week.
Anyway spoke to one of the managers who has S3 demo, reckons for the first 2k he was only getting around 19-22 mpg. Now the car has done about 4k he is seeing 25-30mpg on average, which aint bad.

I'd agree with that. Mine has 1500 kms on it now and the range computer gets more optimistic as the fuel fills go up..

I used to fill up every 7 days in the GTI, now it can be 5.

Well nearly 1000miles on the clock and even on motorway runs averaging about 27mpg, god knows how Audi claim 31mpg!

The norm for running an engine in is to run it richer, to lower combustion tempratures. I suspect that this is what is happening, and is programmed into the ECU.

Chris.

Only just picked the new one up and apart from an initial "piston bedding in" I have been driving it fairly sensibly until it gets a few more miles under its belt. So far average as per DIS is 28.5mpg so should get 30+ on a motorway run at steady speed once everything loosens up.

Having said that didn't buy the car to win economy rallies!, but at least it can be reasonably economical when you want it to be!

Picked mine up yesterday only done about 150 miles keeping it below 4500rpm except for the odd rush of blood,were once or twice where it's been up to 5000rpm. Averaging about 24. Just driven 60 miles of mixed driving and the dis read 25.8, which aint bad.

So addictive though just want to wallop it !!!

3 weeks in now and almost 800 miles on the clock. Dis 2 average reads 24 MPG. Dis 1 average reads up to 27 MPG on a long run, I've not seen it higher than that though.

Don't forget that any claimed mpg figures from Audi will be with a/c off or econ on which every way round they put it. A/c is worth upto 10% even on cold days just to dehumidify, so a figure of 27mpg with ac would be 29.7mpg without.

Chris.

Iv'e never had my A/C on yet!

However...hit over 1000miles today.

Travelled from Durham to just past Newcastle airport (about 25miles) dis showed 32.5mpg! But was very slow traffic...

i think im the only one with a sensible 2007 s3, i put £65.42 in from empty, it filled up at i got 310 mile range, i got 350 out of it and averaged 28 mpg, im pleased with that. Let me know what yous are getting

Wow, this thread is 13 years old! lol
I can see 400 miles out of a tank of fuel if doing long drives and keeping to 65-70mph on motorways (with prolonged 50mph road work areas) and 32-34 mpg is not unusual.
I'm mostly seeing between 28-30 mpg when not doing long drives, but i don't commute in my car if I can help it as the journey is too short.

Reactions: S.
2010 S3 stage 1 here, tyre pressures 42psi front, 38psi rear (Audi recommended figures)

Did a 70 mile motorway journey yesterday and decided to hypermile.....

Managed to get 41.1mpg AVG at 55-60mph

On old tyre pressures 32psi all-round only ever got to 38mpg on the same journey/conditions

When I had my S3's I only averaged between 18-20mpg and around 220-250miles a tank. I was mainly doing shorter journeys though or spirited runs. That being said, it was still abmissmal lol. With cruise control on at 70mph it would do around 30-32mpg and drop like a stone after. At 80mph it was around 26mpg.

The cars were great fun and loved the power, but I have to admit, I hated taking it anywhere far away knowing how inefficient it was. Going to a 3.0BiTDI A6 which although not as fast, was still 5.3 seconds to 60, and would do 35-40mpg average and 45+mpg easily on the motorway kinda made me fall out of love with petrols a bit

I seem to get around 19-23mpg out of my S3 Sportback which is currently stock. Mostly short journeys round town, rarely do any distance on the motorway but have seen it in the high 20s on those rare occasions. I always use Tesco 99 or Shell/BP super premium. Heavy right foot though.. Used to get similar figures out of my Leon FR 2.0 TSI so it's more my driving for sure..

I seem to get around 19-23mpg out of my S3 Sportback which is currently stock. Mostly short journeys round town, rarely do any distance on the motorway but have seen it in the high 20s on those rare occasions. I always use Tesco 99 or Shell/BP super premium. Heavy right foot though.. Used to get similar figures out of my Leon FR 2.0 TSI so it's more my driving for sure..
If your car is stock then you won't be getting much benefit from Tesco 99, although it won't hurt it.
BP Ultimate is only 97 RON so you are paying a premium for fuel others sell as their regular.

If your car is stock then you won't be getting much benefit from Tesco 99, although it won't hurt it.
BP Ultimate is only 97 RON so you are paying a premium for fuel others sell as their regular.
99% of the time I use Tesco 99. I only ever use Shell/BP when Tesco 99 not not available and want to avoid normal fuel.
I beg to differ that Tesco 99 makes no difference. I find I get around 5-10% better fuel consumption with it. Car runs much better on it. Plus it's got additives in which help clean your injectors. I would always advocate for using decent fuel, especially on cars with larger engines. It's an extra fiver on a full tank and it's worth it. If you want to save money, buy a 1.0 litre Kia. (Not saying you personally, just speaking generally).
Oh, and normal fuel is 95 RON mate. 97 RON is still classed as Premium.
Also, going Stage2+ in a matter of weeks and will ge getting it mapped for 99 RON.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

S3 Manual, hyper mileing around 40-50 mph on good clear A roads over 40-50 miles I managed 45 mpg and the next 100 miles 50-60 on clear Mways and dual carriageway saw 38 mpg.
Used only at weekends and never in traffic usually 30 or 25 and lower with a spirited right foot