1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Facelift S3 - Mileage Concern

alpesh26 Jul 30, 2019

1. alpesh26

alpesh26 Registered User

I've got a 2017 S3 on a 67 plate, but due to a change in work circumstances, I'm racking up quite a lot more mileage on it, its currently at 27k and I estimate i'll be doing 15-17k for work. I know this is going make it depreciate more.

If this was you, would you keep the S3 and run it into the ground or change it ASAP for something else before depreciation kills its value because of the mileage?

On a run from Wigan to Luton last week I got 43mpg (calculated properly, i.e. not going off the DIS) so it's not bad at all on economy.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Adam14

Adam14 Registered User

I might be able to relate, I had the S3 and done 15k miles in the first year, I only changed as got a great deal on an S5 and was able to swap without much "negative" equity. About £500.

I'd have carried on doing that mileage as the car was fun, fast and "frugal" when needed but the insurance was very steep for me due to my age, but was well aware.

In terms of your question if you can afford to, then why not? However if you're not sure then of course it'd be a lot cheaper to say change to an A3 and have the more economical choice, better fuel economy, cheaper insurance and running costs.

End of the day it's your choice, everyone is different.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

alpesh26 likes this.
  4. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Registered User

Cheapest option is buy a cheap diesel runabout for the commute and keep the s3 as weekend toy.
    A good £3-4K car is cheaper than probably 20k worth of depreciation per year.

alpesh26 and V6_Man like this.
  5. Ormesome

Ormesome Registered User

Im sorry but its an S3. its hardly a limited edition sports car. The depritiation is going to be there no matter what! you do not have a car that is depretiation proof, a new model is coming out soon which will hit your finances more than a few thousand miles on the clock. I really fail to see the point in changing cars. You do not state the way you bought your car, perhaps if you bought on a pcp and have a limited mileadge contract then yes i see the point, but otherwise do not forget that it is still machine.

alpesh26, Goner, msdmjb and 2 others like this.
  6. Matt Titanium

Matt Titanium Registered User

Unless you sell and buy privately, the dealer's cut of changing will far outweigh the the extra 'loss' in depreciation for the car having extra miles. Any car you buy will be worth proportionally less the more miles you put on it.

alpesh26 likes this.
  7. JohnM100

JohnM100 Registered User Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Agree. If the mileage gets high and you keep it then so what - most of those miles are low engine stress motorway miles.

alpesh26 likes this.
  8. kevpuk

kevpuk Registered User

Wouldn't worry too much.....not convinced mileage has that much of an impact vs a really tidy/good spec car - obviously, within reasons, like not moon miles.....

My 67-reg has 28k now, and is essentially on 10k pa PCP...… only 2k in the next 13 months is unlikely. However, come sale time, I am pretty confident that the circa. 40k it will be on will not make a massive difference to 30k, as things like the spec, condition and so on will be attractive to prospective buyer :)

Of course, might be wrong, but was a similar story on previous car - Mercedes CLS on 42k miles after 3yrs, again on 10k pa PCP, sold privately for a small 'profit' over settlement, rather than a large excess mileage bill (circa. £3.5k) with Mercedes.....

alpesh26 likes this.
  9. josul

josul Registered User

Without trying to sound like the advert; stick your reg into webuyanycar.com and get a valuation. Do it again with adding 15k miles to get an idea on how much of a difference it will make. You dont need to put your real contact details in to get a quote.

JohnM100 likes this.