S3 Manual - Launch Control

grimey121uk

Reaction score
Still loving the S3 however I'm having a bit of a mental block when it comes to doing a proper launch from a standstill with it being my first 4WD car. Normally in a 2WD I would Rev it to around 4000rpm and release the clutch fairly quickly which would keep the revs up in the power band with a small amount of spin.

Doing the same in the S3 with the 4WD system the car tends to bog down because there is so much grip and the wheels won't spin which results in the RPM dropping. The only option would to to drop the clutch completely but in my mind this would put a lot of stress on the transmission because of the 4WD having so much grip.

Also I notice from a standstill the car will only rev to 4k and the turbo will not build any boost pressure.

Any ideas?

Still loving the S3 however I'm having a bit of a mental block when it comes to doing a proper launch from a standstill with it being my first 4WD car. Normally in a 2WD I would Rev it to around 4000rpm and release the clutch fairly quickly which would keep the revs up in the power band with a small amount of spin.

Doing the same in the S3 with the 4WD system the car tends to bog down because there is so much grip and the wheels won't spin which results in the RPM dropping. The only option would to to drop the clutch completely but in my mind this would put a lot of stress on the transmission because of the 4WD having so much grip.

Also I notice from a standstill the car will only rev to 4k and the turbo will not build any boost pressure.

Any ideas?
Probably going to start a lot of Off Topic banter...lol but here goes...
Should have spec'd DSG.....wait for it....
TtIkDsg.gif

Reactions: bluemoona3246
On a more On Topic answer I would suggest you try giving it more revs and ride the clutch a bit..:friends:

On a more On Topic answer I would suggest you try giving it more revs and ride the clutch a bit..:friends:
It only revs to 4K when at a standstill with no boost pressure

Reactions: pburv
TtIkDsg.gif
I tried to order DSG but the dealer wouldn't sell me one, something to do with me being a man;)

Reactions: David83S3, Martinbanshee, Darlo and 5 others
It only revs to 4K when at a standstill with no boost pressure
OOPs sorry mate I should have read your post more closely.
I didn't realise the S3 only revved to 4k in launch mode..
So really I'm not sure what the answer is other than what you said and lift the clutch fully...

Esp needs to be switched to sport mode which allows some slip from the wheels without the traction control cutting in an limiting boost.

Does it rev past 4k if you turn ASR/ESP off?
All sorted thanks, ESP sport or off it revs to the redline with plenty of power for a decent launch:)

Last edited:
Reactions: xpoweruk
But it wont be long before you fry your clutch, I prefer to get the clutch out reasonably quickly then floor it.

Reactions: WarwickL
DSG...... the box that requires less skill ;)

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
I tried to order DSG but the dealer wouldn't sell me one, something to do with me being a man;)

So, the dealer somehow figured out you were male but didn't show you how to launch a manual - WTF

Maybe he thought you were a lady and didn't need to know ;)

Take it easy on the clutch - the Audi variant isn't that robust

Reactions: xpoweruk
I can see this going way off topic and becoming another DSG versus Manual argument.

:scared2:

I get the impression reading over various threads, that getting an stronic box has a highlight of launch control. I am guessing it is very difficult to launch a manual?

I get the impression reading over various threads, that getting an stronic box has a highlight of launch control. I am guessing it is very difficult to launch a manual?
No it's not difficult it's just that s tronic allows you to do launch a lot faster...:friends:

its very awkward to launch with the manual!

I've almost got it mastered with ESP on and off!

Any 4 wheel drive will be the same, it's so easy to either bog it down with too little power or torture the clutch with too much power. Unlike a 2 wheel drive there is no margin for error if you give it too much power the 4WD system will grip rather than allow the excess power to spin the wheels so the clutch ends up taking a beating.