S3 Lowering Spings

Jakewedwards1

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting some lowering springs, I have a stock Suspension Audi S3 8P. I have been looking online and the H&R springs appear to be the best option for what I want. which is to sit a bit lower, have some comfort for motorway drives and that, also to handle a bit better with less role when cornering. So there are so many places to get them, but where is a respectable, place to get them from? Venom Motor sport has H & R for £200 whereas AKS Tuning have them for £166.66 . Are these a well known place for purchasing parts?

Thanks for your replies I am new to this part of modding a car :D

So I had the H&R 25mm lowering springs fitted to my 2012 S3 approx 12 months ago as well as tracking and 4 Wheel Alignment (a must if you change the springs).

Looks wise really happy, looks much better lowered. You can easily catch the bottom front lip/bumper on high kerbs and high speed bumps though so be warned - is fine for most but I do occasionally hear a scrape, you can't see it unless you get under the car though.

Cornering and handling wise it's a definite improvement and results in less body roll than I used to get under high speed cornering.

In terms of ride it is a little harsh over bumps, it's not what I'd call comfy at all unless the road is super smooth. I don't notice it so much as I'm used to it now but passengers do comment on it and my girlfriend isn't impressed on bumpy roads. Motorways are generally fine. I can't really remember what it felt like before they were fitted but it did feel smoother before I think.

I'm still running the stock dampers which I think is the problem. I'm only on 34k miles on the car in total and the guys I spoke to at AKS tuning said it would be fine for the H&R springs on the stock dampers on this mileage/age, but if you've got alot more miles on yours the dampers will probably result in an even more crashy experience. I think in the future I will get a set of Billstein B9s and a new set of H&R springs which would hopefully give a smoother driving experience while retaining the handling but not sure if I'd need a new Anti Lift Kit and Anti Roll Bars. I've held off on these out of fear it would make the ride even less comfortable than it already is as it's a daily car and I don't do track days as of yet so don't need racecar handling.

AKS are an excellent company to deal with.

So I had the H&R 25mm lowering springs fitted to my 2012 S3 approx 12 months ago as well as tracking and 4 Wheel Alignment (a must if you change the springs).

Looks wise really happy, looks much better lowered. You can easily catch the bottom front lip/bumper on high kerbs and high speed bumps though so be warned - is fine for most but I do occasionally hear a scrape, you can't see it unless you get under the car though.

Cornering and handling wise it's a definite improvement and results in less body roll than I used to get under high speed cornering.

In terms of ride it is a little harsh over bumps, it's not what I'd call comfy at all unless the road is super smooth. I don't notice it so much as I'm used to it now but passengers do comment on it and my girlfriend isn't impressed on bumpy roads. Motorways are generally fine. I can't really remember what it felt like before they were fitted but it did feel smoother before I think.

I'm still running the stock dampers which I think is the problem. I'm only on 34k miles on the car in total and the guys I spoke to at AKS tuning said it would be fine for the H&R springs on the stock dampers on this mileage/age, but if you've got alot more miles on yours the dampers will probably result in an even more crashy experience. I think in the future I will get a set of Billstein B9s and a new set of H&R springs which would hopefully give a smoother driving experience while retaining the handling but not sure if I'd need a new Anti Lift Kit and Anti Roll Bars. I've held off on these out of fear it would make the ride even less comfortable than it already is as it's a daily car and I don't do track days as of yet so don't need racecar handling.
Interesting, I don’t actually know how many miles are on the dampers as I brought her in September last year. The car is on 100k miles so I might not have too much lee way on that front. I have seen some “Suspension kits” to me it looks like a lowering spring and damper is with it? There is a H&R suspension kit on venom motorsports. Maybe that would be better just in case? It is around £500 for the set of 4 H&R

Interesting, I don’t actually know how many miles are on the dampers as I brought her in September last year. The car is on 100k miles so I might not have too much lee way on that front. I have seen some “Suspension kits” to me it looks like a lowering spring and damper is with it? There is a H&R suspension kit on venom motorsports. Maybe that would be better just in case? It is around £500 for the set of 4 H&R

You'll likely be on the stock/original dampers from factory I'd have thought unless you've got paperwork saying otherwise.

A kit of matching dampers and springs, or upgraded dampers and springs is always going to be a better option than just springs as they're made to go, or known to work well together.

I believe H&R do such kits, and I've seen others on this forum go for Eibach or H&R springs with the Bilstein B8s (not B9s as I said above) but these aren't cheap and a set of front and back is going to cost a few hundred quid, probs around the £600-700 mark unless you can get a great deal on a set of 4.

There are a whole bunch of threads on this forum for this exact discussion and Damien @DPM is the expert on this I'd say.

I think next year when I come to upgrade the suspension after going Stage2+ I'll be getting the B8s and new springs. I only went for the H&R springs on their own last year because I'd cracked two of them and found out at MOT and a set of 4 H&Rs was cheaper than 2 OEM rear springs.

Reactions: DPM
My H&R springs in the classifieds may be of interest. Great springs particularly when match to bilstein B8s with the front shocks factory matched to the 25mm drop.

I have H&R springs on mine with new Genuine Shocks, ride doesn't seem much different from standard car is alot lower so take care over speed bumps and parking with kerbs about. Standard wheels no rubbing not even with the misses, my little one and a 800w Quad in the boot :)

Only thing i am finding is im going through Top mounts quite quickly, but i did by aftermarket so Genuine will be on the cards this time.