S3 leather seat wear

OliS3

Reaction score
I was cleaning my car over the weekend and as I went to hoover the seats (using a very soft brush with no force) and noticed this.

My car is only 4 months old, has done 4500 miles and I've looked after the leather

20160314 130504

That doesn't look like normal wear and tear to me mate.

Looks like a trip to the dealers is on the cards.

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and SW14NY'S
Seats in my 8p were fine after 60k. I guess I'll send it over by email to the dealers and see what they have to say

Reactions: pburv, SW14NY'S and Rob2k68
Want me to pop over so they can see it in person. All sounding good so far. I can't see anyone else has had an issue then I'm hoping it won't happen again

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Got to be a new seat in my book Oli.

I'd like to get my bolster redone due to the creases but the lower seat base cover is ridiculous mega bucks.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Got to be a new seat in my book Oli.

I'd like to get my bolster redone due to the creases but the lower seat base cover is ridiculous mega bucks.
I would prefer a new seat but my main thing now is getting them to admit fault and how they resolve it is the next hurdle.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Yeah the leather isn't the best at all,Audi know this and do nothing about it...the full Audi car range has all the same leather seat issues,l have wear on the left part of the seat butt area,and on the lower part of the backrest area....where your bottom of your back is positioned when sat in the car
They can resolve it when someone else buys it....**** em

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Rob2k68
They've agreed to replace the seat cover. Be careful though after 6 months 6250 miles it's classed as wear and tear. Glad I didn't have to kick off over that

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Glad I specc'd alcantara
That is not good for such a new car.

That will wear just a badly in time,it's the cushion below that causes the wear it's not firm enough,but the the leather is too soft,the new A4 seats seem to have a better bolster design incorporating more stitching and thicker bolsters

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv and Simon L
Yep we've all been shafted on this one. You can kick off at the dealer if you want but doubtful they'll do anything.

Reactions: WarwickL, Rob2k68, pburv and 1 other person
8P A3 half leather - 40k miles, was only slightly worn on bolster
8P A3 full leather - 40k miles, as above
8V S3 - End of 2014 to now - 12k miles - battered bolster on both sides.

No energy to argue at the moment, it's not a sign of good quality -.-, and the whole "its your size and how you get in" is just stupid unless you're pulling it everytime, which I ain't doing!

Reactions: pburv

No energy to argue at the moment, it's not a sign of good quality -.-, and the whole "its your size and how you get in" is just stupid unless you're pulling it everytime, which I ain't doing!
Got any pics of the damage Rider??

Well tell me this...Mr l cant be ***** to argue...lol...your 8p SEATS WHERE BETTER than every other Audi in the current range because,from the A1 to the R8 V10 Plus...the seats all suffer the same problems.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
My s3 8p seats were fine at 70k, even with the weird holes stamped in them lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Maybe I should have opted for cheap VW 'leather' as both our GTI and R lasted 4 years each with leather seats as new when sold.

My S3 developed creases on shoulder and bottom bolsters after a few weeks.

They mark like a biatch too.

Still, wouldn't ever have non-leather seats.

Hope the issue gets sorted and quickly mate.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
I now "push" my seat back before getting out, as before I found I was catching on the seat bolsters (and I didn't have it that close in any case), which has helped, but after 17k miles still have creases, and that's after keeping it regularly fed and cleaned. Disappointing I must admit, especially for nappa leather.

Reactions: pburv, batch, WarwickL and 1 other person
Maybe I should have opted for cheap VW 'leather' as both our GTI and R lasted 4 years each with leather seats as new when sold.

My S3 developed creases on shoulder and bottom bolsters after a few weeks.

They mark like a biatch too.

Still, wouldn't ever have non-leather seats.

Hope the issue gets sorted and quickly mate.

Have to agree.

Even my full leather Leon FR bolsters were fine - after 10k it just started to show saggy buttock imprints but the bolsters were fine.

Reactions: pburv
The outer coloured coating ie the actual lunar silver colour is wearing away almost see the buck/nude leather coming through,it's on the left hand side of the seat, on the first panel from the side bolster..... Grrrrrrrr bolster creases are extremely unnoticeable though . and nobody is more careful .with there seats than me.....**** l virtually float in and out if the car. Snake hips jassy

Reactions: Simon L, pburv, batch and 1 other person
The outer coloured coating ie the actual lunar silver colour is wearing away almost see the buck/nude leather coming through,it's on the left hand side of the seat, on the first panel from the side bolster..... Grrrrrrrr bolster creases are extremely unnoticeable though . and nobody is more careful .with there seats than me.....**** l virtually float in and out if the car. Snake hips jassy

So basically you are saying you are ending up with bog standard uniclour grey seats like the rest of us ?

;)

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and pburv
So basically you are saying you are ending up with bog standard uniclour grey seats like the rest of us ?

;)
Not quite grey Mick Dundee....lol it's worse it's coming through black.....it's a defect that l started to notice about 6 months ago......l thought ah Audi can deal with it when l trade it in,but l am doing a private sale.... So it does bother me now

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and pburv
Creases I can live with (even though they annoy me) but the earlier photo of the leather actually deteriorating and in your case Jassy where the surface is coming off, I'm pretty disappointed with Audi.

Wonder if I'm going to be up for new seats annually :(

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Not quite grey Mick Dundee....lol it's worse it's coming through black.....it's a defect that l started to notice about 6 months ago......l thought ah Audi can deal with it when l trade it in,but l am doing a private sale.... So it does bother me now
Have you thought of getting an 'egg spert' out jassy?
Did a quick search and came up with these people...
http://www.leatherrevive.co.uk/index.htm

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and Jassyo06
My seats look absolutely terrible at 10k but given up worrying about it, nobody else sees it so will replace the covers when I sell if I need to. Leather in my old golf GTI was perfect at 40k.

Reactions: WarwickL and Rob2k68