S3 Kick-Down switch on Manual transmission?

GRE57Y

Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone else noticed that the Manual version of the S3 seems to have a 'switch' on the accelerator pedal? Feels similar to that of a kick-down switch... Wondering if anyone knows why this is?

Didn't notice that when I was driving. Is it just a case that the pedal is weighted and gets stiffer as you push harder?

No, there's a proper 'click' and then further movement like that of an Auto when you have the kick-down. Wonder if it's to do with the Sound actuator....?

Yeah my A1 S-tronic had it but never experienced this with a Manual? Interesting to hear what it might be!

Never had the opportunity to push my foot to the metal as I'm running mine in but as soon as it's over I'll have plenty opportunities to test this ;).

I noticed it on mine whilst sitting in it making engine noises while it was turned off ;)

Reactions: Aran383, J6YAK and PilotAudi
Haahah ok i see, i guess i could try that technique of yours ;)

Reactions: GRE57Y
No idea... Was hoping someone can shed some light on its function?

Perhaps it's just so Audi can standardise on the part between manual and auto cars?

Perhaps it's just so Audi can standardise on the part between manual and auto cars?

That could well be the reason. Looking at the parts catalogue it does not list a separate pedal for manual and s-tronic A3s, just for LHD and RHD.

It's on the A3 as well, and was on my old manual car to override the speed limiter too. I believe it does put the car into dynamic mode.

That could well be the reason. Looking at the parts catalogue it does not list a separate pedal for manual and s-tronic A3s, just for LHD and RHD.

Are the parts different for cars without drive select (as button would be redundant on those).

Recently had a Manual courtesy car SE spec and no click.

I went for a spin and tested this with my manual S3.

I did feel the little "lump" when pressing fully of the accelerator, it felt exactly like what you'd feel on an automatic car. When pressed, it did nothing more than the normal form of acceleration, i.e. I did not feel any afterburner kicking in :).

So, i'd also say that it's a standardised piece of hardware between manual/auto in order to reduce production costs.

Reactions: GRE57Y
If it's anything like mine, this is used for launch control on the S-Tronic cars. Mine doesn't rev to the full launch control amount without going past the little click, hope that makes sense? Maybe people can try it if they have a chance and see if it's the same in the S3?

I did comment on this in a previous post and if I remember you will find the full explanation on page 69 of your manual. This switch has to do with being in economy mode and going to pass something you can push through the button to get the extra power to pass.

Doug

I did comment on this in a previous post and if I remember you will find the full explanation on page 69 of your manual. This switch has to do with being in economy mode and going to pass something you can push through the button to get the extra power to pass.

Doug

You are correct except in the latest copy of the Owners Manual (10.2013) it is on page 92 and reads:

If you press the accelerator right down past the point of resistance at full throttle when the drive select function is set to Efficiency mode, the engine power is automatically controlled to give your vehicle maximum acceleration.

I had noticed it on my A3 1.6 TDI Manual.
Will have to play with it now Ive learnt its purpose :yes: