S3 is going :-( A3 S-line is coming :-) #GUTTED

David83S3

In my opinion .....
Reaction score
So .......after much much much deliberation and many many many budget plans......I have decided to jump out of the S3 and into an A3 S-line 150hp.

:redrs4: ................. :bye::bye::bye::bye::bye: ........:sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry:

To say I am gutted is a HUGE understatement :tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired::tired:

Since buying the S3 my life has changed dramatically and finances are now required in other areas. I have never loved a car so much as I have loved this S3....it really is a stunning car (Even after all the turbo waste gate rattling nonsense) and I am going to miss it (No really ....I am:sleepy:) ....but a lower monthly outlay and better fuel economy is now needed as i do a lot more travelling these days.

So I have ordered a brand new A3 S-line Hatchback 1.4 150hp in Brilliant Red, which I should get early next year. Considering my negative equity position I feel I have got a pretty good deal on the new car :whistle2:

AUDI  A3 HATCHBACK 1

Biggest concern is the drop in Horses!! But I will get used to people passing me ....(I guess) and hopefully the MPG will make up for this :friends:

Hand on heart ....in 3yrs time (or sooner) .....I will have another :s3addict:... ...So this is just for a while :hi:

:end of discction:

Sometimes needs must - I dropped out of an 8P S3 a few years ago so I can afford to buy a house.

Things have moved on and I've now been able to get back in an S3, having a slow but cheaper car for a few years was definitely worth it.

Reactions: David83S3, Jassyo06 and Sandra
Ah Sorry to hear this! But at least you will be hanging about here though!! The money you will save on payments and fuel you will be back in an S3 in no time when your bank balance is up.

All the best. :)

Reactions: David83S3 and Jassyo06
Hi David look at it as a sideways move and not a downward move,your still getting a fine new car and as you said a great deal from audi,what did they value your car at?

And get your next S3 in sepang lol

Reactions: Rob2k68, thebluefox and David83S3
sounds like you have made a sensible decision.

Time will fly by and it won't be long before you're back in a S3 or whatever you want at that time. :grinning:

Having said that, the S-Line is a fine car and I hear very good things about that motor.

Reactions: David83S3
Hearing all these positive comments and well wishes really does help THANK YOU :friends: I feel so stupid getting so worked up over it ....as it is just a car (As all my friends and family keep telling me) ....but it has taught me that a car to me will always be something that bit more special than other "Regular" folk and I am willing to spend that extra penny on it being extra special !!

As some have said the S-line still a very impressive car and I am coming round to the idea and getting a bit excited for another new car day :rockwoot:

Details on the deal:

Settlement figure = £26450

Various valuations = £23000 >> £25000

New deal is = Walk in with S3 ....Walk out with A3 S-line Hatch 1.4COD TFSI 150hp ...No money from me.

I will be saving £100 on payments and estimated £100 on fuel = £200 a month

I know I am paying more per month than I would expect if I didn't have the negative equity in the S3, but after doing the maths and once they have absorbed the neg equity I am happy with the deal. They win ...I win :respekt:

The next S3 may well be in Sepang as its a fantastic colour and I cant keep going for Red (3rd one in a row now)

:salute:

Reactions: mister.c., Martinbanshee, Simon L and 2 others
As Jassy said still a cracking brand new motor mate and we'll still see you on here.

Needs must we've all been there mine was my GSXR 5 years ago given a choice of where I am now and keeping it I'd gladly make the same decision time and time again no question and no regret.

Reactions: Simon L, Jassyo06 and David83S3
The 1.4TFSI can hold it's own:laughing::laughing: You won't be disappointed:tongueclosed:

S-Line is still a lovely car mate ;)

S-line is really a S3 minus the engine really l ask myself at times do you really need 297bhp?more than half the time l say NO,
But got it now for exactly another 19 months, wait and see what they months bring, could be more or less power the next.

Exactly why I walked out of a dealership having considered going from my A3 Diesel to the S3. I pay £185 for my A3 8V now and it's pretty high specced, the S3 was another £400PCM!

Reactions: Snibo
S-line is really a S3 minus the engine really l ask myself at times do you really need 297bhp?more than half the time l say NO,
But got it now for exactly another 19 months, wait and see what they months bring, could be more or less power the next.

I've been asking myself this exact question sitting in traffic on the way home ....what would be different right now between an S-line and my S3?

Answer: MPG + COST

Of course I would rather have the S3 and if costs were no worry I would keep it ......but 80% of the time an S-line will do :racer:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Simon L and AndyB-S3
I've been asking myself this exact question sitting in traffic on the way home ....what would be different right now between an S-line and my S3?

Answer: MPG + COST

Of course I would rather have the S3 and if costs were no worry I would keep it ......but 80% of the time an S-line will do :racer:

Perfectly true... but we want the 20% more
:s3addict:

Reactions: David83S3 and Simon L
You're doing the right thing David, you'll save money every month and still have a good looking car

Strangely I think you'll enjoy it - I say that having had one as a hire car for just over 3 weeks whilst my S3 engine was "repaired" last year and in all honesty I thoroughly enjoyed it and wondered why I had bought an S3 - the only real difference in day-to-day driving is that when you put your foot to the floor the S3 will pick up a little quicker, but the A3 is no slouch!!!

And on a very positive note - think of all that extra boot space with the floor lowered.

Don't get me wrong I like my S3, but after having had the A3 as I did, I was very impressed, a very capable machine. I'd be happy with it.

I'm sure you'll like the 1.4 COD. If you don't want to be overtaken you can put your foot down and stay in front of most stuff on the road day to day. But then you won't get the 50mpg of course!!
It really is a nice engine.

Reactions: Ignition1 and David83S3
I feel your pain. I had to sell my bmw 130i years ago to buy a house....I could have cried! I went to a old bmw 5 series.

Despite the drop in power I'm sure you will Love the A3 and the excitement of a brand new car. Not a bad result for you all in all I think. Save money and get a brand new car!

My Mrs has found her dream house last week.... I fear the days are numbered for my S3 ha ha

Reactions: Vins and David83S3
I'm sure you'll still enjoy.

I do 15k miles a year so S3 wasn't a realistic option so got the 1.4 COD.

In 9 months of owning there has not been an occasion where I've thought I needed more power.

Yes it would be a nice extra but not necessary.

Overtakes with ease and still pulls nicely in 6th on the motorway when travelling at higher speeds.

I think the difference between the 2 cars is only seen more at the limits which you rarely get to hit driving day to day.

Also the S-Line is still a great looking car!

Last edited:
Again ....... I cant thank you all enough for making me see sense in my decision and explaining all of the positive points....rather than dwelling over the negative ones.

You lot are a Good bunch :friends:

Really looking forward to making the change now (Actually wish it would come sooner)

Have a great weekend all !! I was going to clean the S3, but the weather is looking pretty poor .....so will have to wait for some sunshine. I will still keep my S3 to a very high standard right up to the day I give her back :hi:

Reactions: Jassyo06
Again ....... I cant thank you all enough for making me see sense in my decision and explaining all of the positive points....rather than dwelling over the negative ones.

You lot are a Good bunch :friends:

Really looking forward to making the change now (Actually wish it would come sooner)

Have a great weekend all !! I was going to clean the S3, but the weather is looking pretty poor .....so will have to wait for some sunshine. I will still keep my S3 to a very high standard right up to the day I give her back :hi:
Really David you got your car 2 weeks before me it's flew, time has,life's too short cliché l know but true, yeah do yer S3 proud mate with the next one's just around the corner but better = faster better handling better looking give you something to strive/aspire too a NEW 8XYZ or whatever the code name will be lol

Reactions: David83S3 and Simon L
OK ....so now I really cannot wait to get the new S-line !!

Just had a run in with 2 extremely kind police officers ......Lets just say they could have taken my licence from me there and then!! ...But did not for some reason and now I feel like the luckiest person alive !!

Another reason I need to get out of this car is I don't seem to be able to control my need to drive it like a mad man at times. I have had to have a chat with myself a few times whilst owning it .......but tonight I think I may have used up my one and only free life.......

Reactions: kanecullen89, Martinbanshee and Blackwhite
Cheers David. I'm glad it worked out for
you. I am also guilty of being that way at
times.

Another reason I need to get out of this car is I don't seem to be able to control my need to drive it like a mad man at times.

That is a very good reason - unfortunately, there's plenty that still think they are in a race, although the majority are racing against other Drivers that don't realise that they are in said race.

Another positive is that you shouldn't have Crims booting your bedroom door in to steal your keys to your vehicle as per other recent threads.

Enjoy the S-Line, you can still have all the fun without the hassle.

:welcome!:

The Sline COD 150 is a fine car. My wife has had one since March mainly as we can insure our student son on the insurance.. but in comparison with my S3 it is not a bad car. It's Glacier with Pan roof, Nav spoked Titanium wheels, camera and a few other bits. It goes remarkably well but if driven hard economy isn't that much better than my 300PS S3, however drive calmly and in 2 cylinder mode and 50mpg is achievable. Our A3 was a pre order with standard suspension and is OK.. what i really miss however is quattro.

Taking my foot off that right pedal is going to be a learning curve ....but one I am welcoming and hopefully it will teach me to drive a tad more sensible so when I do jump back into an S3 (If I still want to) ...(Highly likely) ...I will drive it in a better manor.

I do have concerns that my track history of driving is "Speedy" so the economy I am hoping for from the 1.4cod might not be as realistic?!?! I hope I am wrong as If the figures match my S3 then I will have downgraded my car for measly amount of cash each month and that will be rather annoying to say the least :wtf:

Taking my foot off that right pedal is going to be a learning curve ....but one I am welcoming and hopefully it will teach me to drive a tad more sensible so when I do jump back into an S3 (If I still want to) ...(Highly likely) ...I will drive it in a better manor.

I do have concerns that my track history of driving is "Speedy" so the economy I am hoping for from the 1.4cod might not be as realistic?!?! I hope I am wrong as If the figures match my S3 then I will have downgraded my car for measly amount of cash each month and that will be rather annoying to say the least :wtf:

You will drive it differently to the S3,its all in the head...prior to my S3= ST 247 BHP l had a RCZ 197 BHP....Civic Type R 197 BHP....Fiat grande Punto 130 BHP...All very different types of cars and drove them all differently...lT'S KNOWING YOU HAVE THE POWER Mentality Dave

Don't think that the 1.4 COD will encourage you to drive more slowly. When I want to keep within the 30 & 40 mph speed limits I barely tickle the throttle pedal - I daren't apply any more pressure! On the other hand, I really enjoy letting the engine have its head when accelerating to join the motorway. The pull in 4th, 5th (and 6th for that matter) is pretty impressive.

I doubt you will save much on fuel. The 1.4 cod 150 encourages spirited driving which you have to do if you are used to S3 performance.. If you drive like you stole it I doubt you will get much more 3-5 mpg than the S3

Well ....it really is going to be a true test of my ability to SLOW THE F**K DOWN then lol :shrug:

To be fair .....all being said .......at the end of the day I think the fact I wont be able to go 150+mph is a good enough reason alone as there's only so long I could have gotten away with that before ....well lets not go there, but I value my licence :busted cop: and my life :yahoo:
I will happily admit I am not responsible enough to own an S3 (or equivalent car) ....so its back down the ladder for me until I grow up :hi:

As a 1.4 COD owner I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the turn of speed of this engine. And the smoothness of it is amazing. Not sure if you've gone S-Tronic but if so it's a great combination. The red looks really nice so I'm sure that you'll soon forget the S3 and enjoy the 1.4. I also like the £20 a year road tax and low insurance.

Reactions: Snibo and David83S3
I didn't go S-tronic as I am a die hard Manual fan and it added cost that I didn't need so it was manual all the way.

Not sure the 1.4COD Petrol will be £20 a year tax? :readit:

Growing up can take its time as plenty of time later in life to fully grow up :sadlike:

I just want the ****** thing ordered now as I keep changing and adding stuff lol .....(Here we go again) I have paid Audi £500 deposit, but I am yet to confirm the final final final FINAL Spec/Price ....:wtf: ....Think I'm going in this week to nail it all down (Must stick to budget)

)

Ah when I got mine in August 2014 the CO2 was quoted at 109 so only £20 a year tax even with the 18" wheels. But I think Audi now have re-rated the cars depending on the size of wheel so I guess you'll pay more. But still a lot less than an S3.

Yes finalising the spec is a constant work in progress isn't it? And whatever you fix on I guarantee you'll wish you added just that one extra thing!

Reactions: Ignition1 and David83S3
But I think Audi now have re-rated the cars depending on the size of wheel so I guess you'll pay more.

Will this only apply to new cars now released though ??
I currently pay £20 a year - 2.0 TDi (150) with 19" wheels.
Wouldn't want to pay the Government any more for the same thing just cause Audi have re-rated their vehicles ?!

Once rated it stays at that rating! So it only affects new cars registered from the date that Audi decided to re- rate their cars.

Reactions: Snibo
I didn't go S-tronic as I am a die hard Manual fan and it added cost that I didn't need so it was manual all the way.

Growing up can take its time as plenty of time later in life to fully grow up :sadlike:

I just want the ****** thing ordered now as I keep changing and adding stuff lol .....(Here we go again) I have paid Audi £500 deposit, but I am yet to confirm the final final final FINAL Spec/Price ....:wtf: ....Think I'm going in this week to nail it all down (Must stick to budget)
Fancy buying my wife's high spec 8 months old.

Last edited:
Fancy buying my wife's high spec 8 months old.

If I was a cash buyer I would look into that .....but I am going through PCP and also Audi are absorbing negative equity in my S3 ....so unless you want absorb that ? lol

What's the spec out of interest?

I think George Osborne has trumped the whole £20 road tax advantage by introducing a standard rate for all vehicles that have above zero emissions. It doesn't come into force until 2017, but unless your car is electric, you'll then pay £140 a year. And if the purchase price exceeds £40K, you'll pay a supplement of £310 for the first 5 years of ownership. I'd imagine the figures will increase by the time it all comes into force, but in today's money £40K seems dangerously close to a decently specced S3.

Hopefully the Tories will get kicked out in 2020 with their electric car fantasies.
The 1.4COD was £20 a year but with Nav it's now gone up 50% to £30 a year.

Sad news the S3's going, but at least you're doing the sensible thing. Know what you mean about trying to control the speed thou. Had a 1.4 COD as a courtesy car they other week and all seemed fine, especially driving to work everyday.