s3 insurance?!

Some of you are getting some very cheap deals! Almost unbelievable in fact... A couple of hundred quid to insure a near £40k car?! I often wonder with some insurers, who people go to after visiting comparison sites, how good a service they will provide when/if you claim. I'm 38, 13 years NCB on the policy I will use for the S3 when it arrives, no points, live in a little village in Essex and the cars sit on the drive. The cheapest quote I can find for my new S3 is £390 with £200 excess. Our Cayman S is on the wife's policy with me as a named driver and that's £750... are people telling porkies, I wonder. Lad who works for me is 26, has a new fiesta ST. No points, 6 years NCB, parked on drive and he pays over £600 fully comp for the little Ford. The new S3 sits in quite a high insurance group. Hmm.

Last edited:
No porkies here. Live in Somerset Garaged euro cover 50ish legal protected bonus excess insurance . Self and mrs (one no fault claim) jut 248 with John Lewis - bargain!

Reactions: RAPS3
39, 15 yrs NCd, no points - £235/ year full comp with admiral on S3. My Cayman was £950/ year and my new Land rover Defender was £838!

S3 8V is somehow very cheapno insure, this year! i think ts cos the CO2 figure makes it look like a 1.4L

Reactions: RAPS3
I am in Somerset too, garaged in a small village with zero car crime. 8k miles per year, no points, full NCD, two other cars in my name (including a 997 and A4 Cabriolet) and I am paying a smidge under £700 for the lot on an Admiral multi car policy.

Dropping out of a 2011 A4 Quattro Avant Black Edition and into the S3 added a mere £28 to the policy.

I was wondering why this is so cheap for a 300bhp £36k (in may case) car and i was thinking that a big difference between the A4 and the A3 is the key. In the A4 its a programable chip and in the S3 its a insert and twist one - which would potentially make it harder to steal?

Reactions: PilotAudi
I am 23 with a S3 8P so older car.
4 years no claims £1500 but all modifications covered.

That's with the site sponsors sky insurance :)

figure this one out if you can........
at present Porsche cayman 2013 275 bhp £47k new.
s3 2014 295bph £36k ish new.
saving on new car £5 over a year.
nothing else has changed with my circumstances. oh and audi want £450 for a year told them not interested with my driving qualifications etc etc I'm sure I can do a lot better than that. my Porsche cost me a lot less than that.so with the admin fee I owe them £22, funny that !

Well one firm simply said I couldn't have the car repaired at an Audi approved repairer (even though I said that would be likely to invalidate the body/paint warranty!) but it had to be one of their low cost repairers. So it wasn't a question of making up any financial difference with that firm. I think that's what Esurance covers? It simply wasn't an option to choose the repairer. For a paying very slightly higher amount about £20 - with another firm I got a policy that allows me to choose a repairer. Albeit with a specific excess if I do choose a repairer different to their specific repairer! Perhaps Esurance would cover this?

26, no points, 8yrs no claims, £350 excess, 20k pa and business usage and the missus too and have had arguments with admiral on the phone today. Effectively they want to charge me £170 to insure the S3 from 1st March until 3rd may which works out to roughly £1020 pa (includes multi car discount) but then going through new quote with them (without multicar discount!!!) I can get full year coverage for £499 plus take £25 refund on current policy after all their scandalous admin charges have been taken. Robbing b*****ds!!!

Expecting call back fri/mon but other quotes are all in the region of £450-£500.

im 34 and got fully comp for £153 with direct line

how the hell did you get that - im 46 with full ncd, I have a ts10 2 years ago and wife had a small claim 3 years ago...guess its because I live in reading and I assume you live on your own island

Just set up Audi Ensurance for the new car which includes Legal Expenses cover FREE.

Called John Lewis Insurance and have removed Legal from my new Policy.. REFUND of £24.. So now only £224 a year with European use, Courtesy Car, No Excess (i.e Excess Insurance cover) and Protected Bonus...

Also checked that I can use approved Audi repairer or their recommended repairer using Audi parts and paint.. seems too good to be true!

Me and the wife both 32, no no claims (Zipcar for the last few years!), £250 voluntary excess, fully comp with Admiral for just over £600. Should go down next year so not too fussed to be honest.

Just set up Audi Ensurance for the new car which includes Legal Expenses cover FREE.

Called John Lewis Insurance and have removed Legal from my new Policy.. REFUND of £24.. So now only £224 a year with European use, Courtesy Car, No Excess (i.e Excess Insurance cover) and Protected Bonus...

Also checked that I can use approved Audi repairer or their recommended repairer using Audi parts and paint.. seems too good to be true!

Totally agree it does seem too good to be true! I've just signed up :arco:

Updated my policy yesterday with More Than. Charged £22.50 admin plus an extra £10.00. Odd as my current car is an S4 and I expected a reduction. Have done a few on-line quotes and amazingly the S3 comes out more expensive each time. Must still be some stigma re the 'hot hatch' years. I'm in my 40's with clean licence and 15 years no claims.

Is the European use - FULL COMP - as I found when looking around for insurance Co's that covered you for foreign EU travel some did not- Admiral for one only gave you 3rd party only . And is there cover limited for certain number of days at one time with a total limit for the year?

Gives me some hope. I haven't even looked at insurance yet (on the basis that it would be whatever it would be, never going to affect my purchase decision!), but it looks like it'll be Cheap! Thanks to the government for changing the law on fake whiplash claims, and the EU for age legislation lowering rates for men lol

I called my insurance company today to arrange cover for my new S3 (collect 2nd March). But whilst I've been told by Audi the reg. last week it does not yet show on the national insurance database. I was told, "not a problem we just have to manually select the car from the model list". But after telling the guy all the basic information he couldn't identify the correct S3 from his drop down list as they are so similar (i.e all 2 litre, all 1984cc, all quattro etc). So basically I could have ended up with insuarance for a 8P if we picked wrong!!

We got to the level of debating was it a TFSI or a FSI T? He was adamant I had to tell him which model it was and if I chose the wrong one at best I would be overcharged and worst not be covered!! None of the options on the model list appeared to have a corisponding model year that would make it easy to say this is the one for a 2014 car. He advised I call Audi to find out which model it was...so you can imagine how p*ssed off I was getting! I mean it's a 2014 S3, what else do you want to know?!!

My current 8P S3 insurance lists it as a "FSI T Quattro" and given Audi refer to the new 8V as a "2.0 TFSI Quattro" to me the answer is perhaps clear but after 30 minutes on the phone I'd had enough and said I'd call back with conformation.

So can anyone who has already insured a 8V S3 please confirm the "model" that is listed on their insurance certificate?

10 years no claims, 250 xs, protected no claims, I'm 30, advanced driver, £290 a year with elephant.

I called my insurance company today to arrange cover for my new S3 (collect 2nd March). But whilst I've been told by Audi the reg. last week it does not yet show on the national insurance database. I was told, "not a problem we just have to manually select the car from the model list". But after telling the guy all the basic information he couldn't identify the correct S3 from his drop down list as they are so similar (i.e all 2 litre, all 1984cc, all quattro etc). So basically I could have ended up with insuarance for a 8P if we picked wrong!!

We got to the level of debating was it a TFSI or a FSI T? He was adamant I had to tell him which model it was and if I chose the wrong one at best I would be overcharged and worst not be covered!! None of the options on the model list appeared to have a corisponding model year that would make it easy to say this is the one for a 2014 car. He advised I call Audi to find out which model it was...so you can imagine how p*ssed off I was getting! I mean it's a 2014 S3, what else do you want to know?!!

My current 8P S3 insurance lists it as a "FSI T Quattro" and given Audi refer to the new 8V as a "2.0 TFSI Quattro" to me the answer is perhaps clear but after 30 minutes on the phone I'd had enough and said I'd call back with conformation.

So can anyone who has already insured a 8V S3 please confirm the "model" that is listed on their insurance certificate?

I had the same experience but managed to find the right one on-line and read it out to the guy. According to More Than its an 'A3 S3 TFSI' The detail is Series 3. The 'FSI T QUATTRO' relates to the previous generations.

Reactions: VeeDubDan
Ok guys, in an effort to resolve my earlier frustrations in getting my insurance swapped over I thought I'd see if I could do an online quote for myself to determine the correct "model" for the sake of insurance.

I started out on gocompare which was simple enough as the "S3 2013 onwards" was listed. This produced a table of quotes which included Admiral (I'm with Bell who are the same group). So I followed the link to the Admiral site that produced the following quote for a "A3 S3 TFSI" for £257

I then thought I'd experiment and see what other "models" were listed and found what is basically a duplication of the exact same car under the model of "S3". This produced a quote of £401 with the only difference being this initial choice of model.

So if you're arranging insurance it appears "A3 S3 TFSI" is the best choice!!!! I believe the database of makes/models is shared across the insurance industry so you may affected, and hence the great differences in quotes people are getting.

I did a little more experiementation with a VW Golf R/R32 and also found multiple duplications for the same model.

Last edited:
That's the way I did it Dan. A3 is the range of cars apparently and S3 the model.

The second screen dump is for the earlier. 8P 2006 on model.

Absolutely, but for whatever reason they have not stuck to the same logic throughout (model = A3, Type = S3) and have ended up with a S3 in the list of models which for me produces a quote of £144 difference (36%).

I've just checked the "types" under S3 model and there is both a FSI T and a TFSI which implies both 8P and 8V as this is generally how they are differentiated it appears (8P = FSI T and 8V = TFSI). But obviously very confusing!!

So if like me you phone up and simply say you have a S3 you stand the risk of being quoted for the far more expensive option! Nuts!

So stick with saying you have an A3 for the outset and you should be ok.

Last edited:
Absolutely, but for whatever reason they have not stuck to the same logic throughout (model = A3, Type = S3) and have ended up with a S3 in the list of models which for me produces a quote of £144 difference (36%).

I've just checked the "types" under S3 model and there is both a FSI T and a TFSI which implies both 8P and 8V as this is generally how they are differentiated it appears (8P = FSI T and 8V = TFSI). But obviously very confusing!!

So if like me you phone up and simply say you have a S3 you stand the risk of being quoted for the far more expensive option! Nuts!

So stick with saying you have an A3 for the outset and you should be ok.

Best thing to do is take the free Audi 7 day insurance then get it insured by your number plate when you get home. Saves on any confusion.

Just for reference, using the number plate mine came out as a3 s3 tfsi Quattro.

Reactions: VeeDubDan

ah thanks for the reminder. I need to check if I need legal as im sure ensurance covers that so that all could be a discount for me too

Had a final play around with this and confirm you must choose A3 S3 to get a 2013 onwards 8V. If you start out choosing S3 the available types have descriptions containing 2006, 2008 or 2010 and hence are all 8P. The TFSI vs. FSI T rule that I previously thought allowed differentiation does not hold true ( ie there is one listing for a TFSI 8P).

john lewis were £430 for me with £550 excess - what a joke

46, full protected ncd 17+ years, wife 1 miniscule accident £1300 in 2011, me a ts10 in 2012

Which means the guy I spoke to on the phone was trying to get me a 8P S3 despite me saying it was a 2014 8V. Stay frosty people!

john lewis were £430 for me with £550 excess - what a joke

46, full protected ncd 17+ years, wife 1 miniscule accident £1300 in 2011, me a ts10 in 2012

Seems a bit high. Is that definitely an 8v quote?

Seems a bit high. Is that definitely an 8v quote?

even a ford fiesta r reg 1.25 was £250, Peugeot 307xsi 2002 £320ish, merc a class 2004 £350ish

I live in Berkshire so that doesn't help

Last edited:
My goodness Steve that's over 50% more than I'm paying in Somerset ! Probably in same age band for insurance. Glad we moved back West! ;-)

Quoted £320 and I only have 4 years NCD, no claims or points though.

Same issue for me with Aviva.

Had to find the S3 under A3. Spent a while on the phone trying to find it.