S3 insurance

red or dead

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Which insurance companies are you S3 owners with?

I've been looking at new-ish, 1-2 year old S3's, but then I get insurance quotes for £2.5k+!!!!

I'm 29 with 7 years NCB, BUT I have a BD postcode, I'm guessing that's the reason why.

I can afford the car but no chance are the scamming insurance companies getting £2.5k from me, I'm not 17 anymore!

Try a on line admiral quote ?
They wanted £400 for me on a brand new S3

I settled for Audi's own insurance to include stg 1 revo at £650 because it was a £50 excess and warranted genuine Audi repair and loan car etc.

Greenlight if you modify the car.

Just checked Admiral - £2277

Oh, and I have 3 points but surely this is still ridiculous? I bet if I put a different address in it would be cheaper!

Probably just crappy Bradfords fault????

I am 32 - have 9 yrs NCB have a BS code - and mine is £780 through Direct line, including my mrs, 25 yrs old. Audi insurance wanted £10,000 for both of us - and said they couldn't insure with her on the policy too as 10k is above maximum policy pricing.

I got insured today with admiral on a 2007 audi s3 my own policy registered in my name

1200 driving 4 years with 0 no claims and best of all i live in LUTON! hahahaha i was amazed

I have a BD postcode too, absolute bl**dy nightmare. Tried greenlight loads of times but they won't touch the postcode. I'm with AXA, cheapest by far for me and actually cheaper than the 3.2 I've just replaced. I'm 44 with 15 years ncb, no points and no claims and it cost just over £700
Where abouts in Bradford are you?

I have a BD postcode too, absolute bl**dy nightmare. Tried greenlight loads of times but they won't touch the postcode. I'm with AXA, cheapest by far for me and actually cheaper than the 3.2 I've just replaced. I'm 44 with 15 years ncb, no points and no claims and it cost just over £700
Where abouts in Bradford are you?

I'm in Eccleshill.

Mt stats are similar to your's Ju but i am in the middle of stock broker Surrey. the nearest we get to car crime is women in huge 4x4's that dont fit in the parking spaces dinging your door getting out at Waitrose.
I'm still paying the same as you although i could have got it for half that.. trouble is with insurance you usually get what you pay for and some of the cheap covers are just certs to allow you to drive and no more. Just because an area is cheap dosnt necessarily mean you get a better deal.

Greenlight, 26, 7 years NCB, Stage 2 modified, £730 in Belfast. Been with them for 2 years now.
That's very good....mine's £600 with max no claims,and a lot of mods.

I'm in Eccleshill.
I'm the other side of the City near Wibsey m8

Mt stats are similar to your's Ju but i am in the middle of stock broker Surrey. the nearest we get to car crime is women in huge 4x4's that dont fit in the parking spaces dinging your door getting out at Waitrose.
I'm still paying the same as you although i could have got it for half that.. trouble is with insurance you usually get what you pay for and some of the cheap covers are just certs to allow you to drive and no more. Just because an area is cheap dosnt necessarily mean you get a better deal.
Most of the quotes I was getting paddy were over £1300 which for my age/history is ridiculous tbh. I can understand some areas around here where quotes should be above average but not everywhere and certainly not where I am.
Mines garaged every night and it makes little difference, infact I remember when I had the garage installed a few years ago, I rang up the Insurance company and there was no difference in premium but I had to pay an administration fee wtf!

I know it makes no sense mate. Best quote i got on a brand new s3 was £320, best quote i could get on the 3.2 was £650 and that was 7 years old.
Admiral put my premium up to £650 1 month before i sold the 3.2 and then quoted me £400 on the S3. Direct line were knocking off £60 because the S3 is a BE.....work that out.

Post Code ratings for Car Insurance - check out what rating your postcode gets.

Insurance for myself is stupidly cheap for my age! I'm 22 with 2 years ncb and after putting both my mum and dad on the insurance it comes to £718.07 with Admiral! Bargain!

Errr... can I suggest that you try and add some other people to your insurance and double check how many miles a year you have put on your policy.

Greenlight, 26, 7 years NCB, Stage 2 modified, £730 in Belfast. Been with them for 2 years now.

33yo professional with 12 years protected NCB, 0 points, 10k miles p.a. on standard 2009 S3 and Greenlight wanted £650 with a £250 excess. I am based in a "B" postcode, with Mrs named on the policy and have Class 1 Business cover to allow travel expenses to be paid by work.

I ended up going with Admiral who were £397 like for like. Their sister company Bell were over £150 more expensive at renewal time proving you need to move every year or phone your current insurer for additional discount.

I'm an a on that list, but Greenlight said they couldn't give me a quote for my postcode... explain that one! I'm with Admiral - £660 for 25yrs old, 2yrs NCB, no convictions, garaged, 8000m a year.

Putting my mum on it saved me around £30 over the year, and declaring modifications (in my sig, inc those on the way) is about to set me back £27.09 total for the remainder of the policy (~6 months).

I'm an a on that list, but Greenlight said they couldn't give me a quote for my postcode... explain that one! I'm with Admiral - £660 for 25yrs old, 2yrs NCB, no convictions, garaged, 8000m a year.Putting my mum on it saved me around £30 over the year, and declaring modifications (in my sig, inc those on the way) is about to set me back £27.09 total for the remainder of the policy (~6 months).
Many of the insurance companies don't load too heavily for modifications,and the quote you've got looks very good indeed for what you have in mind.

Many of the insurance companies don't load too heavily for modifications,and the quote you've got looks very good indeed for what you have in mind.

I'm happy with the quote, but like I've said in some other thread, they seem to be saying that they won't actually cover the mods, they just insure me to drive the car and will pay out market value in the event of a write-off.

I'm happy with the quote, but like I've said in some other thread, they seem to be saying that they won't actually cover the mods, they just insure me to drive the car and will pay out market value in the event of a write-off.
Right...I see what you're getting at....getting the cost of the mods back is difficult,and many companies do shy away from that,which deteres a good number from modifying a car in the first place.

Swiftcover came back with just over £700 for me, 26 with 4yrs NCB which I was quite shocked with as it's a group 18 car :D

Right...I see what you're getting at....getting the cost of the mods back is difficult,and many companies do shy away from that,which deteres a good number from modifying a car in the first place.

What I'm not sure of is if there's a crash and it's not my fault, do the other insurer have to replace my mods since they're declared?

Think I pay around £350 with protected NCB and guaranteed hire car with Privledge. I had a fault accident(£2k payout) in Feb 2010. I'm in my 40s and in a fairly low risk area and the car is a 2010 S3 SB DSG. The insurance is less of a problem than fuel tbh

Just checked Admiral - £2277

Oh, and I have 3 points but surely this is still ridiculous? I bet if I put a different address in it would be cheaper!

Probably just crappy Bradfords fault????

How old are you? I'm only 22 and am paying 1600 for a new S3 in central london, which is moderately high theft rate, and an accident on file.

I pay 1k for my tdi i live in liverpool. 25 5 years no claims no points

I'm an a on that list, but Greenlight said they couldn't give me a quote for my postcode... explain that one! I'm with Admiral - £660 for 25yrs old, 2yrs NCB, no convictions, garaged, 8000m a year.

Putting my mum on it saved me around £30 over the year, and declaring modifications (in my sig, inc those on the way) is about to set me back £27.09 total for the remainder of the policy (~6 months).

I tried to change my policy to garaged, thinking it would bring it down in price.... however because of where I live it went UP!
They claimed that there was more chance of me doing damage to the car by knocking the door on the wall or not being able to park the car in the garage then there was of having someone steal it off the drive......

How old are you? I'm only 22 and am paying 1600 for a new S3 in central london, which is moderately high theft rate, and an accident on file.

I'm 29!!!!
I think it must be my postcode, it's an "f" rating but I don't know why ALL of the postcode get's a bad rating just 'cos there's a scummy estate a couple of miles away!

Mines refer!, I used to live in BD15 many years ago, which has Allerton estate in and that's a D. The banding is far too inclusive imho!

I'm in a Refer band - does that just mean its all to tight packed together to use postcodes? Luckily, car is parked in the 2nd level down of an attended underground carpark with full vertical bar steel gates, but no way to declare that unfortunately :(

Hi guys,

Which insurance companies are you S3 owners with?

I've been looking at new-ish, 1-2 year old S3's, but then I get insurance quotes for £2.5k+!!!!

I'm 29 with 7 years NCB, BUT I have a BD postcode, I'm guessing that's the reason why.

I can afford the car but no chance are the scamming insurance companies getting £2.5k from me, I'm not 17 anymore!

Where in Bradford do you live, I'm in Haworth and some insurers are refusing to give me a price on my A3 S line 2.0L TDI 140 SB, i have a BD22 post code.

Where in Bradford do you live, I'm in Haworth and some insurers are refusing to give me a price on my A3 S line 2.0L TDI 140 SB, i have a BD22 post code.

Oh and I'm 25 with 6 years NCB.

Grrr, I'm in a band 'B', but it was probably an 'A' before the likes of me moved here! On the border of Wiltshire / leafy West Berkshire so the crime rate isn't too bad here.

£490 this year, and it's going up with every year the S3 is older. Me and the missus in our late 30's and I have no points and 9yrs NCB.

Started out at £385 in year one, and has crept up about £20 every year despite increased no claims / garaged. But then with mods I can't complain.

I'm hoping when new car arrives in October it will go down again.

im 24, 2 NCB, 1 accident on file, No points - Bell Insurance - £1360

I done a quote on a s3 a while ago when when I was thinking either get in debt or wait, but I'm 20, 5 points driving 3 years, got my mum on the policy, live in surrey. No ncb because of company insurance and done the quote on a 07 s3.
It came to £1400 fully comp
Which I thought was really good for my age and points.

I done a quote on a s3 a while ago when when I was thinking either get in debt or wait, but I'm 20, 5 points driving 3 years, got my mum on the policy, live in surrey. No ncb because of company insurance and done the quote on a 07 s3.
It came to £1400 fully comp
Which I thought was really good for my age and points.

Yeah, but was mum on the policy, or on as main driver??!??!

Mum was named driver she only brought it down slightly but she does a lot of my runs for mot or service she has always been on my insurance.

I'm through H&R based in aberdeen. Band B Postcode, 32 with 5 years NCB (protected), 1 total loss 18 months ago, clean licence, £570 with a £300 excess. The strange thing was I orignally got the quote for just myself and it was £690, I added my wife, who's 25 with no experience of perfomance cars, and it dropped £120, even the lass on the phone couldnt explain to me why.

I just insured my 3.2...

I am 25 with 7 years ncb. 6 points for SP30. Added my girlfriend who is 21. Postcode is ub10 which is E.

Things which made huge difference to premium, Job Description - Computer Technician instead of Computer Engineer. For my Girlfriend Trainee Accountant instead of Accounts Assistant - in total made my 250 saving

For some reason parking on the street is a lot cheaper aswell.

And marital status put Co-habiting, cheaper than married, in our case doesn't give a reason to get married now :)

Paid £930 with Elephant. Same as for my old volvo s40 last year with 6 years NCB.....

edit:

I was just buying insurance online and noticed that I forgot to put down that I have second car. dropped premium to 813... nice :)

Last edited:
Some interesting points about what things that bring the premium down. I too always put Computer Technician which isn't my exact job title but never thought it would make any difference from a Computer Engineer...

Can't remember what my exact cost for the S3 was this year but it was just over £300...which is nice ;) I'm a thirtysomething, >10 years NCB, 3 points (made no difference to my premiums btw), other half on insurance, postcode in band A. This was with Swiftcover, which I can heartily recommend as they have been the only company where their renewal quote was better than all the quotes on the price comparison sites!

It does look like your postcode area makes a lot of difference to the prices though...