S3 in EVO mag

voorhees

Staff member
Reaction score
Just read it and they love the car
alfa brera v6 v audi s3 v bmw139i v mazda 3 mps
In the end they say the S3 is the logical choice but the beemer is the one they want to take home...I suspect its the RWD that has them wanting it
Also it beat the previous hot hatch record (r32) around the west circuit at bedford autodrome by more than 2 seconds

Is this a new edition as i can' remember seeing that the other day when i glanced over it in the shops?

Whats on the front cover?

Audi R8 BMW M6 Porka 911 C4S Vantage

New one then, up north we still have Junes issue on the shelf with the yellow Aston on the front cover!

Good review.. very different to their original one from months back. Brera was basically a no show, so came down to 130i vs S3.. :)

Very impressed with S3's performance around West Circuit - almost 2.5 secs faster round track than the previous quickest hot hatchback.

-Sal-

just off subject i have a two year maxim subscription for £9.99 just saerch maxim subsription 9.99

wow, just looked at the time and it's not far off an M5/M3!

Good stuff!

Read the review today...seems pretty balanced for a chnage, and how refreshing for the S3 not to be ruled out for being expensive. I think having the R32 in the test as well might have been quite sensible though.

Performance aside the S3 would win for me over the BMW because the 1 series is ugly and BMW interiors dont do anything for me! So bland!

I read the article last night and was really impressed. I remember feeling a bit shocked when I read the original 'driven' back in December I think. Certainly didn't sound like they'd driven the car I'd test driven!!!
Anyway, seems they really enjoyed it, couldn't help but feel that it was the sensible choice simply because it 4wd so you can't get the back end out!!!

I checked out how the lap times compared too - gob smacked doesn't cover it!!!

Good review though - seems given a chance to drive it over some familier roads they grew to like it!

Matt said:
BMW interiors dont do anything for me! So bland!

I've always believed in that! Couldn't agree with you more Matt, couldn't agree with you more :friends:

I bought EVO yesterday to have a look at the review. I can't understand why they chose the 1 Series over the S3. They admitted in the article the S3 is faster in a straight line (0-60 in less than 6 seconds!) handles better (the stunning lap time proved this), and has better build quality.

Considering there isn't much difference in the price, the only advantage they thought was the S3 looks too ordinary compared to the BMW. I personally think the BMW looks ugly, and would choose the S3 over it anyday :)

Next to the Fiat Multipla (remember those) the 1 series is one of the most ugly cars on the road today - the designers got paid for that?! Unbelievable.

Looking forward to reading the review, not got the mag yet.

aiculedtzu said:
Can anyone post the lap times ?

The S3's 06-0 was 5.6 seconds, making it the fastest proudction hot hatch EVO has ever tested, beating the Lancia Delta Integrale :cool:

From the 4 car test, the laptimes were:

Audi S3: 1:30.40
Mazda 3 MPS: 1:31.30
BMW 130i: 1:31.70
Alfa Brera: 1:35.90

Other times as a comparison:

Golf R32: 1:32.55
BMW M3 CSL 1:29.80
BMW M5: 1.29.95
Vectra VXR: 1:31.55
Mazda RX8: 1:32.70
Astra VXR: 1:33.15
Focus ST: 1:33.90

And Aud R8: 1:22.10 :w00t:

Pretty impressive time by the S3, only 0.45 of a second slower than an M5, and much quicker than all of its direct competitors. Still some way off the R8 though...........

I'm an EVO subscriber and got the mag in time for a week off in Stoke. Very impressed with the S3; it really didn't put a foot wrong at all. As for the decision to go with the 130i at the end of the article, reading between the lines this is only because most of the contributors prefer RWD. My impression - having been an EVO subscriber for five years - is that the S3 was the best of the four.

Good write-up though, and proves that there was more in the 8P chassis than we all thought - shame Audi couldn't get it right on all derivatives from the start.

Would be quite a chuckle to see the lap times if they tested the same cars on a wet track...with the english weather what it is, this would make the gulf between the S3 and the 130 even bigger performance wise and make it even harder for them to justify the 130.

I haven't seen it yet but a 1 series??? :wtf:

I don't care what engine they put in it, it still looks like a dog's dinner :puke2: