S3 hiss from brake pedal!

odnet

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecustard.com
hi all,

week number 3 (or 4!?) of S3 ownership....

.....all going well until this evening!.. bit of a weird one this, didn't know if anyone else had experienced it!

ok, car stationary or moving, sounds like theres air hissing in through something near the brake pedal!? ...... if i depress the brake, the noise stops!?

going to take it to audi in the morning, just wondered if anyone else had had this problem!?

cheers

ivan

Not for me, and many people will testify on here I can usually hear the strange noises....

As JamS3 said, not heard anything like that... at least not obviously... Jam... what strange things do you hear.... sounds like a line out of the sixth sense :)

it sounds like the brake servo has gone, thats why you can hear the hissing noise

nothing here... And yes it took me a while to notice that clutch thing... my sixth sense is not that developed...lolol

Pedro

Brookie-S3 said:
it sounds like the brake servo has gone, thats why you can hear the hissing noise

christ, i hope not!..... 3 weeks old and all that!.... tell me i'm not going to go through the hell i had with my old r32!!! ...... its booked in for tomorrow... i wait with baited breath!

cheers

ivan

Lets hope you don't have a snake trapped in there!! :scared2:

ive noticed this for a while and now and only just found this thread in a search...
exactly the same symptoms, hissing noise thats always going when the brake is NOT being pressed...

can anyone else shed any light?

When I start the car I get a hissing sound from behind the dash. Its a very delicate noise, but sounds like its the air con system. As the air has to be distributed about, and the air con compressor has to run and build up pressure it may well be this.

I then get another noise as the turbo system builds up pressure, then a click as the Haldex system engages, then the brakes start to squeal gently when I slow down.

THen there is that ****** hiss from the Bose system if you turn the volume down but down turn it off. I have good hearing and this drives me mental!! I must have been a dog in a last life as its like that white moise sensation!

When I start the car I get a hissing sound from behind the dash. Its a very delicate noise, but sounds like its the air con system. As the air has to be distributed about, and the air con compressor has to run and build up pressure it may well be this.

I then get another noise as the turbo system builds up pressure, then a click as the Haldex system engages, then the brakes start to squeal gently when I slow down.

THen there is that ****** hiss from the Bose system if you turn the volume down but down turn it off. I have good hearing and this drives me mental!! I must have been a dog in a last life as its like that white moise sensation!

I guess you gotta be able to hear the air conditioning cause it is rushing air afterall...

Oh come on, you're complaining about the turbo spooling? :p Haldex does click...my brakes are pretty quiet...

I've tuned my aftermarket Alpine gear to approach silence... So all thats left for me is this brake pedal noise... :(

Oh come on, you're complaining about the turbo spooling? :p

no mate, just cataloging the noises I hear from the car on start up. the only noises that annoy me are the brakes and the hiss from the stereo! If the turbo didn't spool up I'd be moaning more!!!!!

if my engine's not running and I depress the brake pedal it makes a hissing noise, most of my cars have done this though

I can't believe they are incapable of fixing it. The vacuum pipe to the servo is leaking. As an S3 is petrol powered the vacuum will probably be provided by the inlet manifold. A diesel would need a vacuum pump.

I suggested that to them, but just got blank looks back. Oh well, I don't suppose he really has to know (the guy on the service desk) it's down to the technicians to know how things work really.

hmmmm, maybe you should try telling them too, in my experience, technician is a totally incorrect description of them

Oh man, mines doing the total opposite, I get the hizzing when I brake, had it checked at a garage over the weekend and the brake pads are fine! Booked in at Audi on Wednesday.

I'm starting to think it may even be the tyres, if it is I'm going to look like a right tit.

i still get the hissing when *not* braking...
i forgot to mention is last time i was in service... -_-

Just had a call from Audi, they managed to work out for themselves that it needed a new servo. The bad news is that they're on back order, so I'll have to wait at least another day to get my car back! :motz:
can you post any more details in what they deemed to be causing the problem?

How loud is this hiss? Mitch, I may need to borrow your ears!!

The problem was just a leaking servo. No particular cause, just one of those things. Unfortunately the new servo didn't arrive this morning, and apparently it's a pig of a job to get to it, so even if it arrives this afternoon I'll not get my car back before Monday! I didn't think it would bother me so much as I'd had 1.9 TDI Golfs before, but I can't stand it! I want my S3 back!

Don't forget that the 1.9TDi in an A3 is only 105PS so if you had a PD Golf it would have been at least 115PS.

At least they are on the case.

Paul

It gets even better!

Called in today to see how they were getting on with my car to find out that I won't have it back until Wednesday at the earliest. Apparently they've never had to swap a servo on an S3 before, so it was only today that they found out that they can't do it the same way that they do it on a 2.0T. Instead of dropping the engine slightly on the adjustable mounts, it's a whole engine and gearbox out job.

Perfect!

hey mitch, just noticed your update to this thread so thought i'd give you an update as to where i'm at....

since i had the new servo fitted (exactly the same issue as you're having i think) i've had a sort of vibrating/resinating (if thats the right word!?) noise from the pedal whenever i'm between 2-4000 rpm. i've taken it back to audi who tell me it needs to be compared to another s3 before anything can be 'fixed', even though the technician has admitted that its wrong and the noise has only started since they replaced the unit... i'm now taking it to another dealer on thursday of this week as i know someone there who i think will provide me with a better service than what i've been provided with locally... amazing, you spend £30k on a car, have a problem for 12 of the 16 weeks you've owned it and yet still nothing seems to be fixed! customer service, think thats right out the window! the annoying thing is, i think the previous servo 'hiss' annoyed me less than the noise i get now!

hope you have better luck! :thumbsup:

cheers

didnt i say it was the servo at the beginning of this thread, oh well least you have it sorted now.
the old S3's you had to drop the engine x gearbox out too, so im not supprised.