S3 - High milers

darkfibre

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is 104K considered a high miler for a 2002 8L? Cambelt done at 75K, thinking of getting my first S3 so would appreciate some advice on the mileage and also whether it's time for another cambelt change.

Thanks in advance,

darkfibre

Nope im at 113k and just going hybrid and stage 4 map it all comes down to how you look after the car

Agreed with steve. Mines hit 100000 miles and still going strong. As long as it's serviced regularly it should be fine. Depends when cambelt was done last I would imagine.

The one I'm looking at says it was done at 75K - now sitting on 104K - when would a change be necessary?

Sorry, I'm a Renault guy looking to make the transition :p

When was it done? Date wise. As its due around every 75 k or 5 years whichever comes first,so it could be a bargaining chip.

Not sure mate, gonna get on the blower to find out.

Anything else worth asking? I'm gonna call him in 10 mins.

Yeah I believe it has, but will pose the question.

I've done various searches, but is there a S3 buyers guide lurking around here somewhere - what to look out for? Wouldn't mind studying that in depth - could someone point me in that direction please?

When you're buying, 104k is high.

When you're selling, 104k is just boken in.

In reality it's all about how much TLC the car's had in this time.

someone would have had to do something despirately bad to a car (like AVS haha) if it was shot at 104k

104k is nothing on a 20vt really, my old car was at 202k when I retired it from dailly use and the engine was still fresh as ever

As above make sure the cambelt & waterpump has been done. My S3 is on 202k now; check out this thread for some other areas to look at and barter with.

youd be swapping your S3 for what exactly? ;)

v. bar·tered, bar·ter·ing, bar·ters
v.intr. To trade goods or services without the exchange of money.

Mine was bought on 104K, all motorway milage and the cambelt was done at 75k in september 2007. Here we are 3 years later and its now on 118K and about to get its 2nd cambelt done. Because of all the motorway milage the clutch and turbo are still in good nick, the suspension however, is shagged :banghead:

My mates running his S3 with 150k, tight as a drum and runs great

Like anything, if its looked after well it will keep on going

Ditto to all of this... mines on 145k with mostly motorway miles - compression check last week showed all around 11.5.

Well looked after, serviced regularly with good oil, preventative maintenance approach and you can't go wrong. I'd check it's not been on the Audi Variable, i.e. longer period, Servicing tho. and if it's too late, cos you've bought it now, I'd get it off that ASAP!

ive got an old 16v golf. i compression tested that a coupe years ago, it was on about 198k miles. the compression figures were just below the top boundary given by VW

basically, on a higher mileage car all youve got to worry about is consumables needing to be replaced. obv some consumables are easier to sort than others, but engine wise it should go on indefinately.

Thanks for the replies guys. I done the deed and bought it. Picking it up midweek next week :)