S3 Head gasket

fluffsri

Reaction score
My wifes headgasket has gone on her 03 S3. Iys covered 104500 miles. I think this is premature but do they fail early? Any thoughts? Cheers.

ive not heard of one going yet..... i was worried when i bought mine as the oil cap had cream on the inside, this engine is prone to condensation and mine ended up being spot on once id ran it for a week off the forecourt......

The last 6 months its been using water. Long story but I only found out 2 months ago. No leaks so I had an inkling what was happening. No mayo or anything just using water. In the last 2 months its dropped 2 coils as well. Anyway Its booked in and is going to cost us £400. God knows what Audi would charge?

coils are a usual thing to go at that age, normally prompted by a remap

if i were you id just change all 4 coils as if one goes down away from home she'll be runnin on 3 cylinders which could potentially kill the cat from the unburnt fuel burning through it

I gather you've checked every other avenue before assuming head gasket? like pipes, any external signs if it isnt infact seaping into the oil - gotta say the HG is rare

Yep checked everything. My mates a very good mechanic and he has carried out the head gasket check and it confirmed it. When you take the header cap off its goes off like a shook up bottle of coke.

oooh never good..... well best of luck with it, he may aswell check the turbo whilst its all off, the K04 unit is known for cracked housings near the wastegate IIRC

i think you've done well for £400, my neighbour whos a good mechanic took 6-8 hours to replace one with ramp (first S3 he had worked on, he's used to VAG though)....says its a right pain especially when trying to remove the oil feed to the turbo

Cheers for that I'll tell him about the turbo. He's going to carry out work after hours cash. He has a pro street rod so it pays for his racing :) He has done a few so is happy with it. He would rather work on that more than my V6 vectra LOL

Looks like the head gasket has gone again. Does anyone know if there are different types of gasket for the 1.8? Anyone know if there is an uprated gasket for this engine? I bought the gasket from Audi so it was a gen one fitted last time, the head was skimmed so we dont understand why its gone again?

Bit strange! I remember reading this thread last year and hadn't heard of one ever going let alone twice on the same car. Has it definitely been confirmed that the gasket has failed again?

using water again but no cream? Not sure if its possible for the water/oil coolers to fail on these. But that would result in the creamy oil or water. What are the symptoms?

Not comp tested it, garage is pressure testing this afternoon. Its loosing water and not leaking. When starting the car up in the morning and afternoon it takes a good 10 to 15 secs to start and its really lumpy, sounds like a diesel starting, it did this last time and after the HG was replaced it fired up first turn of engine. It also holds back sometimes and now and again you can feel it sort of cutting back, your foot is constant but the car feels like its just dropped 200/500rpm. Its a stranged feeling like backing off the throttle but not actually moving it. Its making my Vx heap look reliable LOL

This might be a fix and sell and time to get the S4 I want :)

Finally had the garage take a look at it. Water is pooling on No2 piston. Pressure checks fine at idle but is out of limits when revved. Looks like gasket or head cracked, hoping its the gasket as itll be under a warrenty claim. Knowing my luck at the mo its the poxy head!

head cracked on mine. cost £1200 in the end!
that was based on £400 for a head gasket replacement, £600 for the head, and the rest on seals etc and labour to remove and clean pistons as some had coolant on them.