S3 - Have I made the right decision?

andywaddy

Reaction score
I recently put an order in for an Ibis White S3 Sportback around three weeks ago...but as always, on my daily commute, I have to pass an Audi Dealership which means there are often varying Audi's waiting at the lights of the junction. And it just so happens this morning, that there was a brand spanking new S3 sat waiting there, lovely chrome grille and mirrors, DRLs dominating the stance and it had been dipped in what looked like Audi's 'Brilliant Red' colour. I personally haven't seen many of these so it instantly caught my eye.

...and it has now left me thinking, have I picked the right colour? It is the most money I've ever spent on a car so obviously I don't want it turning up and me being disappointed with it :(

What do you guys think...

Andy

Either way,you'll enjoy the car,especially after a remap.

I chose white as well,for what it's worth.

As long as the order isn't confirmed with the factory (code 20) then you can change your order (but this may push your estimated build week back).

I have also ordered my new Audi in Ibis white (BE) and keep wondering about my choice of colour but iv stuck with it, and I'm us once it's here I will be glad I ordered the white.

As long as the order isn't confirmed with the factory (code 20) then you can change your order (but this may push your estimated build week back).

I have also ordered my new Audi in Ibis white (BE) and keep wondering about my choice of colour but iv stuck with it, and I'm us once it's here I will be glad I ordered the white.

I bought an Ibis A3 and would never change it!! When its clean it look AMAZING and i dont think you can beat it! but it does get Dirty quickly!! The way i look at it... IF you change you will prob want to change back to Ibis again... If i was you i would stick with it!

Ibis is stunning.
I love my Red Sportback - I also have Open Sky roof which means the roof is black so it has a different look.
Might get the grille gloss black to match.
You will love your S3 SB.

Hi Andy

Whats going to happen here is that all those affiliated to Ibis are going to vote Ibis and vice versa with Red.

I have been looking at new S3's and have focussed my search entirely on Ibis Black Edition models (currently got a Phantom S3).

Stick with white is my input, especially as i'm kind of on the fence. I'll throw another spanner in the works and dont mean to upset anyone but I think the reds suit the 3 door better than the SB.

** And don't paint the damn wheels black!

Hi Andy,

Firstly congrats on ordering what is gonna be a simply amazing car!!
Secondly, DROOL!!!

Love, Love, Love the Ibis white S3.

Dont get me wrong I love my phantom black S3, but last year I had my heart set on an Ibis White one and I let it get away. I was gutted at the time and was so piddled off I decided that if I couldnt have a white one I didnt want any (was buying 2nd hand by the way-prob obvious at this stage lol).

Anyway, roll on over a year and I have an S3, ok it's not Ibis white, and I only have it a week.....but I love it and it puts the biggest smile on my chops every time I get into it. I literally cannot wait to drive it every day.

At the end of the day colour is personal choice, and your initial choice was the Ibis....as somebody else said if you do change you might regret that and want to go back to white.

Congrats again...you lucky ba$t@7d (only joking)

Reactions: andywaddy
IMG_2160.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say anything but white. White has been popular for a while now and I think more car enthusiasts are veering away from it purely because there are now so many chavs wrapping their cars or buying white and going for black alloys. I drive past a Vauxhall showroom on the way to work and nearly every Corsa on sale is white with a black roof and black wheels. White has now spread to the non car enthusiast and that generally means it's days amongst the enthusiasts are numbered.

I think the fact that you don't often see many white press cars now supports this theory. Just look at the majority of the RS3 and 1M press, red or kind of fake tan orange in the 1M case. You'll be seeing a lot of red in the new S5 press as well. We are entering the age of the red car, be an early adopter.

(PS ignore the fact that my car is red, I'm not biased really :))

Love white .Theres a SB S3 ibis by me but the rims are black ruins it ,i think black wheels are garbage tbh .

Either way,you'll enjoy the car,especially after a remap.

I chose white as well,for what it's worth.

Thanks man, I was thinking about going down the route of a Shark remap...heard nothing but good things about them. What do you reckon? This will be the first time I've tuned a car by the way...

I bought an Ibis A3 and would never change it!! When its clean it look AMAZING and i dont think you can beat it! but it does get Dirty quickly!! The way i look at it... IF you change you will prob want to change back to Ibis again... If i was you i would stick with it!

I've got to admit, when I had my mind set on an S3, Ibis White was my first and last choice...so maybe you're right! And it'll be my pride and joy for quite a long time I expect so any dirt is does collect won't be there for long! :D

Ibis is stunning.
I love my Red Sportback - I also have Open Sky roof which means the roof is black so it has a different look.
Might get the grille gloss black to match.
You will love your S3 SB.

I really hope so mate! Looking forward to owning a DSG box for the first time tbh and just sitting inside that interior for the first time. It's what sold it for me really...it's class leading. I did fancy the open sky roof as the black contrasts well with the white but it's the only option I didn't go with in the end...I couldn't justify paying £900+ for some glass at the end of the day...

Go with the gut! Imo white is best, then get the wheels powder coated gloss black. Hmmmmm yum!

I think I'm going to stick...I just hope that red S3 from this morning doesn't show it's face again...

Hi Andy

Whats going to happen here is that all those affiliated to Ibis are going to vote Ibis and vice versa with Red.

I have been looking at new S3's and have focussed my search entirely on Ibis Black Edition models (currently got a Phantom S3).

Stick with white is my input, especially as i'm kind of on the fence. I'll throw another spanner in the works and dont mean to upset anyone but I think the reds suit the 3 door better than the SB.

** And don't paint the damn wheels black!

Agreed...silly to think otherwise wasn't I!

To be fair, you may be right as the red one I saw was actually a 3 door. I noticed one in work's car park before and went and had a look, which was a 5-door and to be honest, the red didn't do it justice so that's kind of made my mind up!

Hi Andy,

Firstly congrats on ordering what is gonna be a simply amazing car!!
Secondly, DROOL!!!

Love, Love, Love the Ibis white S3.

Dont get me wrong I love my phantom black S3, but last year I had my heart set on an Ibis White one and I let it get away. I was gutted at the time and was so piddled off I decided that if I couldnt have a white one I didnt want any (was buying 2nd hand by the way-prob obvious at this stage lol).

Anyway, roll on over a year and I have an S3, ok it's not Ibis white, and I only have it a week.....but I love it and it puts the biggest smile on my chops every time I get into it. I literally cannot wait to drive it every day.

At the end of the day colour is personal choice, and your initial choice was the Ibis....as somebody else said if you do change you might regret that and want to go back to white.

Congrats again...you lucky ba$t@7d (only joking)

Haha, many thanks! :)...what if I said I was only 23 as well....would you hate me more? ;)

I fell in love with S3s years ago and knew I had to have one at some point and I don't fancy waiting another 2/3 years before the new one comes out so if I don't do it now...I never will! So after a substantial amount of time collecting funds and MANY unsuccessful trips to the bank of Mum and Dad...I've finally taken the plunge! REALLY looking forward to getting it though...got given an estimated delivery time of Feb which is killing me!

The worst thing is, I've staved off even having a test drive just so I get that ultimate thrill of getting in it for the first time, turning the key and having mile after mile of endless fun!

Where are you from by the way...I might have to come and rub it in your face when I get it haha :p

Well that photo hasn't helped me in the slightest lol! Always throwing spanners in the works you lot!

No, you should have gotten a 3 door!:p

Ah that old chestnut! :p I'll happily agree the sportback has too many doors but the rear lights win it for me!

have i mentioned suzuka grey?

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

4723965789_b594bc04e8_b.jpg

Again...not helping!! haha. Is this colour still available? Audi exclusive or not? Something tells me it would be even better in person as well...

Love white .Theres a SB S3 ibis by me but the rims are black ruins it ,i think black wheels are garbage tbh .

I agree, I've never really been in to black wheels...my personal taste obviously so no offence to anyone who owns a set.

I like white a lot, but of late they seem to be ****** everywhere, and it was the one reason that had me going to the opposite end of the colour spectrum and choosing an S3 specific colour, panther black.

That said, Suzuka Grey gets my vote, and if I wasn't such a tight fisted pikey I'd have payed up the £1750 and got it. Looks lovely.

I think colour is the hardest part of the buyer choice.

S3.jpg

Nuff said :wub:

Reactions: warren_S5, andywaddy and molly s3
Such a personal thing but since you asked...............
Consider that Audi is a junior prestige brand, not quite Porsche or Jaguar or Maseratti or Bentley, maybe on an equal with Mercedes and certainly not as common as BMW, yet, but certainly not Ford or Vauxhall. Now reflect on how few of the former you see in solid bright reds (ignoring Guards Red 911's of the 1980's and dreadful WAG/footballer Bentleys), yet how many Astra's and Fiesta's around bright reds.
OK so white is a van or refrigerator colour, or is the new silver or black that in a few years will be a tad too common, but the bright white IS safe fashionable and of today, and makes a slightly less in your face basic hue statement than red does.
Trouble is for a really classa act you have to go metallic and NOT sudden sharp colours.

You can't beat Suzuka Grey:wub: well worth the £1750 IMO! Nothing else quite like it. If I'm ever in a posistion to order a new S3 I would'nt think twice, rather spec the paint over buckets, or nav or other "lesser" options lol. The 3dr posted above is actually a lads that lives local to me, it looks amazing in person, plus it's rare as nobody wants to fork out for it, so I think come re-sale it would hold it's value better.

It's a good dilemma mate as it will look awesome in any colour :)

You could say that white is getting common on the S3 now (What can I say, I've got sprint blue!) but it's common for a reason, it's arguably the best colour apart from Suzuka grey which is simply beautiful. I think it is quite pricey though??

Haha, many thanks! :)...what if I said I was only 23 as well....would you hate me more? ;)

I fell in love with S3s years ago and knew I had to have one at some point and I don't fancy waiting another 2/3 years before the new one comes out so if I don't do it now...I never will! So after a substantial amount of time collecting funds and MANY unsuccessful trips to the bank of Mum and Dad...I've finally taken the plunge! REALLY looking forward to getting it though...got given an estimated delivery time of Feb which is killing me!

The worst thing is, I've staved off even having a test drive just so I get that ultimate thrill of getting in it for the first time, turning the key and having mile after mile of endless fun!

Where are you from by the way...I might have to come and rub it in your face when I get it haha :p

Yes. Yes, I do hate you more now!!!! grrr!

Nah only messin, sounds like you've put alot of thought into it and worked hard for it with saving and stuff...which will make it even more sweet when you get it!
Similar story myself, saved like a mo-fo as I didnt want a bank loan to pay for it. Wanted one for ages. Thought the day would never come when i'd finally have it in the driveway. If you saw me driving it you'd probably want to smack the smug face on me :laugh:

I'm in Ireland tho...so no....you wont get to rub it in (thankfully :salute:) he he

Last edited:
Just taken delivery of my S3 SB BE in Suzuka grey. And OMG!

If you can stretch to it (£1750) then I say go for it - no Q's!

What an amazing colour. No pics can do it justice.

Mine was on order for nearly a year (long story for another day!). And trust me I was so close to changing to other colours whilt waiting. Basically getting impatient and thinking of other colours to go for.

But I'm so glad I didn't. If you can't then I say stick to ibis. Looks so right on the SB

All IMO of course!

changed my 3dr for a sport back after 12 month's ( on one used to sit in the back but its just more practical)
out of the choise or cars in that price range ( new) i think personally you get a lot for your money as standard when compared with 130 5door.

plus you have the added bonus of quattro.

Mine was on order for nearly a year (long story for another day!). And trust me I was so close to changing to other colours whilt waiting. Basically getting impatient and thinking of other colours to go for.

But I'm so glad I didn't. If you can't then I say stick to ibis. Looks so right on the SB

All IMO of course!

:sign_pics: :sign_pics: :sign_pics:

All IMO of course!

I'd never pay that for any paint job as long as I have a hole in my ar*e!!! Absolute rip off. £500 is a disgrace to get any colour of paint apart from Ibis. Unfortunately, us in the UK seem to like paying extra for things like 'paint' and oo, 'wheels' and things that should be on a f**king car anyway!

I dont mind paying for paint if it looks good and the quality finish is high. Panther has got blue and purple specs within the black so must be complex to apply (multistage). I'd have paid £1k max for Suzuka but I couldn't afford more.

As for wheels, there should be more choice, it's unforgivable there is no 19" option on S3 at the moment

Mind you, talk about "the pot calling the kettle Black!" I am saying all of that above having spent 5 figures messing about with my ex-Subaru! LOL. Errrr.....................

As people have said above, red is coming back. I got my red 3 door S-line (below) last month, but had a brand new A4 from the dealership the week before as a courtesy car in white. Clean it looks amazing, but gets dirty so quickly. <br><br>Audi's Brilliant Red finish is in my opinion the best red on any car - nice to see it coming 'back into fashion'<br><br>
336458_10150395218284282_628279281_9997588_640453343_o-1.jpg

I'd never pay that for any paint job as long as I have a hole in my ar*e!!! Absolute rip off. £500 is a disgrace to get any colour of paint apart from Ibis. Unfortunately, us in the UK seem to like paying extra for things like 'paint' and oo, 'wheels' and things that should be on a f**king car anyway!

In fairness, they do give you paint and wheels.

I have a Suzuka grey S3 & it's an amazing colour. I believe it's White with perl grey over the top. If you can see White next to Suzuka you will appreciate how different it is. Should you be in a position to pay the extra £ I guarantee you won't regret it. A plus side with this
would also be resale value, as it's rare with the right spec it wouldn't be a problem to sell.

have i mentioned suzuka grey?

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

4723965789_b594bc04e8_b.jpg

I have to admit, I genuinely love this colour and would definitely go for it if it was possible but it would take me over my budget sadly :( I'm ploughing everything I have into this car already lol.

....on the other handdddd....I'm SO tempted to ring them and just deal with the cost! Has anybody got any more photos?