S3 Grill Material

HHS3

Phantom Black S3 - R-Tech Stage 2+
Reaction score
Hello,

What material is the 2007 Audi S3 grill made from?

I attempted to Plasti-Dip it myself but wasn't happy with the finish due to the application via a spray can.

I asked a garage to respray via email and they said they couldn't as it looked chrome/chrome plastic, but I'm not sure if that's just an effect rather than actual chrome etc.

I'm pretty sure people have had theirs resprayed but if not and you can't get the paint to adhere properly, I'll provide them with a tin of Plasti-Dip and they can apply it professionally.

Thanks.

The surround is proper chrome plate on metal which makes it a mare to paint. If you can get the chrome stripped, it will need to be etch primed then painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HHS3
The surround is proper chrome plate on metal which makes it a mare to paint. If you can get the chrome stripped, it will need to be etch primed then painted.

Perfect, thanks for the info mate.

Wrapping the chrome surround may be a more cost effective option.

Wrapping the chrome surround may be a more cost effective option.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've already got a couple of quotes for wrapping the grill and b-pillars.

I'm going to Kremer's this Saturday to have a chat with them, I'm going to see if they'd professionally apply Plasti-Dip if I supply a tub, rather than the awful spray-can it can come in.

If they won't, then I'll get them to at least spray the grey parts of the grill (horizontal slates & licence plate holder) gloss black and leave the surround and vertical slacks chrome. Depending on how this looks, if I don't like it, I'd then get the surround and vertical slats wrapped gloss black.

20160411 175238
This is my S7 showing the chrome window surrounds wrapped. You really can't tell the difference, and it won't chip.......

This is my S7 showing the chrome window surrounds wrapped. You really can't tell the difference, and it won't chip.......

Nice looks pukka mate, I like the sepang blue and black combo, bet she's an absolute joy to drive!

I want to get my window surrounds done as well because they're a horrible grey rubber, didn't realise wrapping them was even possible. Just watched a video on it as I never knew what wrapping actually entailed and it appears as though you can pretty much wrap anything! The not chipping is a nice touch too.

My problem is patience haha however you're better off saving up that bit more for a premium product, it's my birthday next month so I'm tempted to use any money from that to get it all done at the same time, as I'll be getting some Anthracite Gloss TD 1.2's from my Dad and I'm fitting a Cupra R splitter soon, so this would finish it off nicely!

Should look good once your finished.

Having a professional do the wrap is best if you want perfection, however if you fancy trying it yourself there are plenty of YouTube how to videos, and you can buy all the material needed online or via eBay.

If your patient, its actually not that hard :racer:

Should look good once your finished.

Having a professional do the wrap is best if you want perfection, however if you fancy trying it yourself there are plenty of YouTube how to videos, and you can buy all the material needed online or via eBay.

If your patient, its actually not that hard :racer:

I sure hope so! I don't mind the chrome but I'm not a huge fan of it, especially as only part of the grill is chrome and the rest is grey plastic which just looks cheap when you're up close.

I'm a perfectionist and just know I wouldn't be able to do it to the standard I would like, so am more than happy to pay a professional to do it!

I'll make sure to upload some pictures after it's all done, I'm tempted to do a build thread in a month or two as I'd have done a few more parts by then and have already done a couple bits here and there, as well as a stage 2 remap round the corner.

You can remove all the chrome parts from the grille pretty easily with a pick from behind then respray the whole thing gloss black and then clean and replace the chrome parts. thats's what i did and was pretty happy with results.

Attachments

• IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 132
You can remove all the chrome parts from the grille pretty easily with a pick from behind then respray the whole thing gloss black and then clean and replace the chrome parts. thats's what i did and was pretty happy with results.

Nice, good job mate. It looks so much better with the grey bits gloss black!