S3 Gremlins?

johnmv55

Reaction score
I'm torn between a Golf R and the newly released Audi RS3, there's obviously no RS3 feedback as yet so I'm assuming some equipment will be close to the S3,

There are lots of Golf R owners complaining about stuff:
a) Car swaps between mph/kph when adaptive cruise in operation
b) Infotainment screen slow
c) Car defaults to Sport mode at every start up
d) double 'pop' from the speakers every now and then

I'm also guessing that the 'software' between Golf R and S3 will be similar, so, the question is are any of the S3 owners here having similar issues?

I'm torn between a Golf R and the newly released Audi RS3, there's obviously no RS3 feedback as yet so I'm assuming some equipment will be close to the S3,

I'm also guessing that the 'software' between Golf R and S3 will be similar, so, the question is are any of the S3 owners here having similar issues?

I love my A3 BUT the software issues are terrible and 10x worse than what you described above. The main issue is that the system just restarts randomly and you have to wait 10-15 seconds until it comes back on ( especially annoying if you are using the sat nav as you have no idea where you are supposed to go. This problem also comes with yellow dashboard lights turning on saying that emergency sos call is not available.

Pretty much everyone with an audi a3/s3 has had this problem from what I read on the forums. The worst thing about it is that audi has no clue how to fix it or they just don’t care enough.

There are a few other errors that come up regularly like electrical system fault and low tyre pressure but these are okay because they are easy to get rid of by just turning the car on and off.

I’m sure the other members of the forum will come up with even more software issues.

Reactions: Mryolon
I don't use apple carplay nor android auto, and I only ever used the guest account (it keeps all my sound and radio stn settings). Only annoyance is that after 2 weeks or so, it loses my previous destinations on the Sat Nav, but I can live with that, as 90% of my journies I don't need the Sat Nav. So software gremlins, haven't had any (yet). SOS, yes that pinged in the same places..everytime so I guess thats network dependent...Please note mine is the 2 x USB-C (later?) variant.

Probably the MMI resets and definitely the SOS problems seem to be largely location dependent, so whether or not they are an issue for you will depend on where you live and drive. They seem to be particularly problematic for people who live in London. As someone who lives in Kent, they are rare occurrences.

A massive difference between the Golf and the Audi is the user interface. VW have gone almost completely virtual with the Golf, with even the steering wheel buttons being touch sensors in the premium / sporty models. Whereas Audi have kept a good deal of physical buttons for the A3. Not only that, the A3 MMI and virtual cockpit is faster and better designed / more intuitive than the equivalent in the Golf. (There was an article in today’s AutoExpress bemoaning the poor design of the Golf.)

My advice would be to test drive both before spending too much time thinking about it. When I started out, my shortlist had the Golf at number one and the A3 at number 3. As soon as I test-drove the Golf, I knew I wouldn’t want to live with it.

Reactions: johnmv55
I visited Audi today just to try out the interior on an A3, I know its not an RS3 but it must be close to a good spec A3, it's nice, nicer than the Golf and better designed with switches which is what I dont like about the new Golf 8R.

However, my heart missed a beat when I opened the hatch as we have a Dog, the 'boot' is longer than the Golf but not as high :( However the girl asked what was up so I told her, she said no problem, go and get him, so I did, he must have been the highlight of their day, just about everyone came out to see him, he did fit, more room to lie down but slightly less headroom, however I dont think i'd need the dog guard as he wouldnt get through the gap betwen the seat and headlining :)

Reactions: AdamInKent
he did fit, more room to lie down but slightly less headroom, however I dont think i'd need the dog guard as he wouldnt get through the gap betwen the seat and headlining :)
Was the boot floor in the high or low position? If it was in the higher position (which it is by default) then you can get a little more headroom for your dog by lowering the boot floor.

I’ve had my S3 since January, was a factory order. Legit only issue I’ve had with the MMI is that the satnav has stopped working but I think it’s due to a software update that failed half way through.

Reactions: LesleyG
Was the boot floor in the high or low position? If it was in the higher position (which it is by default) then you can get a little more headroom for your dog by lowering the boot floor.
Yes, in the high position but I believe the RS3 has the battery and Amplifier under (as well as the rear differential) there so boot floor would be permanantly in the raised position :)

I’ve had my S3 since January, was a factory order. Legit only issue I’ve had with the MMI is that the satnav has stopped working but I think it’s due to a software update that failed half way through.
Yea i’m similar to yourself - very few issues thank god. I’ve had my S3 since April and to date the MMI has rebooted only once. Admittedly i don’t use the apple car play as i find it easier to have my music on a memory stick so no issues there, the much talked about SOS warnings haven’t hit me either, and Northern Ireland is so small you could put it in the boot of an Avant so the SatNav hasn’t been used much ! Overall the car has been, and continues to be a joy to drive every day.

John i can only imagine how impressive the RS3 engine will be (my budget will never stretch that far sadly) but i think my experience is proof that the software issues are not in every car. Good luck with your choice !
PS need pics of the dog now, lol !!

Yea i’m similar to yourself - very few issues thank god. I’ve had my S3 since April and to date the MMI has rebooted only once. Admittedly i don’t use the apple car play as i find it easier to have my music on a memory stick so no issues there, the much talked about SOS warnings haven’t hit me either, and Northern Ireland is so small you could put it in the boot of an Avant so the SatNav hasn’t been used much ! Overall the car has been, and continues to be a joy to drive every day.

John i can only imagine how impressive the RS3 engine will be (my budget will never stretch that far sadly) but i think my experience is proof that the software issues are not in every car. Good luck with your choice !
PS need pics of the dog now, lol !!
This little fella

Attachments

• IMG_8332.jpg
    IMG_8332.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
Reactions: JohnM100 and AllanG
I had a golf and a dog but not quite as big and there is very little difference in size.
it also looks like you have the same boot liner as me (custom covers) and I transferred the liner into the A3 that is how similar they are. The sides are a little different but not enough to buy a new liner.

I've had the s3 since May '21 and i did not have any issues what so ever. I am 99% certain the rs3 interior and hw will be identical to the s3 but what you will have extra is probably starting now , another 6-7 months of bug fixing and such. So i would not worry about that.

I've had the s3 since May '21 and i did not have any issues what so ever. I am 99% certain the rs3 interior and hw will be identical to the s3 but what you will have extra is probably starting now , another 6-7 months of bug fixing and such. So i would not worry about that.
funny its i did collect mine on same day and have many problems haha :) sos , reloading etc.

Reactions: shadowzz