S3, Great bit of kit... (and build thread...sort of)

I don't know of anyone who's used the DW65v yet,which isn't to say it isn't a great idea,but all of the comparisons are based on 1.8t data on their website,and FWIW,it "only" runs to 500bhp.

So,for anyone using a TTE420 or similar,it should be OK,but no feedback....

DW65v can supposedly run directly off the factory J538 controller, but the TTRS pump cannot.

DW65v can supposedly run directly off the factory J538 controller, but the TTRS pump cannot.

I saw that but obviously the guy on the other thread was using what he had already I think.

I would have been interested in this a while back but I'd need something different now.

For anyone on a hybrid or GT2867 this would be useful.

Some great info in here guys will prove very useful to anyone looking this way. From a personal perspective I wanted to play safe with the fuelling, perhaps she would run very nicely on the standard S3 pump with the TTE420 but my logs were showing upto 95% duty at times and if i were to push hard for a long period I'd have been worried about the pumps health. Being a novice at this I had to take the advice of those in the know and if Rick at Unicorn recommends a setup its probably wise to do as he says. I did question the overheating of contoller module and he assured me I had nothing to worry about once I had been to see him. Sure he'll work his magic and we'll come out with a result.
Roll on Thursday.

Reactions: S3Alex
@S3Alex in your vast experience, about what bhp do healthy S3 injectors run out of go? Appreciate there will be some variance.
To answer my own question here would I be somewhere in the ball park at low 400's with the RS4 fuel valve?

Last edited:
@S3Alex in your vast experience, about what bhp do healthy S3 injectors run out of go? Appreciate there will be some variance.
To answer my own question here would I be somewhere in the ball park at low 400's with the RS4 fuel valve?

Depends on the HP rail pressure you run but at stock pressures a little over 400ish bhp.

By running a higher pressure and with the RS4 valve you may get more but I don't think you'll see beyond 440bhp at the most.

It would be worth asking Rick as he has expert knowledge of custom mapping and may well be able to help.

Reactions: Dt_racing
A very quick update, just back from Unicorn, been a long but superb day.

Just enough time to thank Rick for his exemplary work, his reputation is well deserved. Top man, solid engineer and a gent to boot.

Will explain more when I have time but here she is my outcome for the day... Let's just say I'm very very happy!

Reactions: Dan-Jnr and Ice man
A very quick update, just back from Unicorn, been a long but superb day.

Just enough time to thank Rick for his exemplary work, his reputation is well deserved. Top man, solid engineer and a gent to boot.

Will explain more when I have time but here she is my outcome for the day... Let's just say I'm very very happy!
Great Numbers!:) RS4 RPV and stock injektors did the job?

Great Numbers!:) RS4 RPV and stock injektors did the job?
Thanks, all credit to Rick, he's the magic man, all I did was take some good advice from people on here and choose the right tuner. Yes so this is with standard injectors and the RS4 fprv. As expected we ended up injector limited. Turbo no where near max output running somewhere in the low 1.6bar range.

Thanks, all credit to Rick, he's the magic man, all I did was take some good advice from people on here and choose the right tuner. Yes so this is with standard injectors and the RS4 fprv. As expected we ended up injector limited. Turbo no where near max output running somewhere in the low 1.6bar range.

Rick is great! You added some of his special futures into the map?:) I expected the fuling limit. But this power levels at 1.6bar is excellent! Then you have a wery safe and reliable setup that you really can use witout worries.

None of the launch or flat shift stuff no, that didn't really excite me, he did add 3 other maps however, I have the full beans map of course then one for 95 octane, a low boost map around the 330bhp and the last is a valet mode that's less than stock output.

Excellent result.

Good torque and bhp,and as you'll notice,less roll off in torque at higher rpm than with the stock turbo.

Excellent result.

Good torque and bhp,and as you'll notice,less roll off in torque at higher rpm than with the stock turbo.
You nailed it Alex, the most impressive thing is the increased area under the torque curve, it doesnt just take a nose dive it hangs on at 380lbft until nearly 6k. Its this thats impressed me the most and really is the most important in the real world.

You nailed it Alex, the most impressive thing is the increased area under the torque curve, it doesnt just take a nose dive it hangs on at 380lbft until nearly 6k. Its this thats impressed me the most and really is the most important in the real world.

All down to flow....

I mean in overall terms as everything has it's part,but when it all works together it makes a big difference.

Thanks to all the work on mine in March,I now have more torque at peak rpm than I had at peak torque previously(if that sentence makes sense),and your eally notice how much more usable the car becomes,rather than having to rely on a narrow area of power and torque.

The other great thing for you is knowing there is more to come with more fuel....flow...LOL

All down to flow....

I mean in overall terms as everything has it's part,but when it all works together it makes a big difference.

Thanks to all the work on mine in March,I now have more torque at peak rpm than I had at peak torque previously(if that sentence makes sense),and your eally notice how much more usable the car becomes,rather than having to rely on a narrow area of power and torque.

The other great thing for you is knowing there is more to come with more fuel....flow...LOL

There should be, the turbo isnt really working that hard at the moment. More decisions to me made now, do I go for injectors and push her on a little more? Only concern then is this will possibly take her close to needing forging and thats another big jump in costs. Hmmm.

I'm going to enjoy it as is for a little while I think, next up will be a set of summer rims. I'll put some winter rubber on my standard rims and get some summr stickies for the new. Sometime in November for this I think.

There should be, the turbo isnt really working that hard at the moment. More decisions to me made now, do I go for injectors and push her on a little more? Only concern then is this will possibly take her close to needing forging and thats another big jump in costs. Hmmm.

I'm going to enjoy it as is for a little while I think, next up will be a set of summer rims. I'll put some winter rubber on my standard rims and get some summr stickies for the new. Sometime in November for this I think.

Very sensible.
I did everything in increments,and it gives you time to get used to it,as well as to find any issues before the next step.

You've come up against injector flow limitation,so more power would equal bigger injectors.
Rick is confident of being able to map RS4 injectors properly,as Revo software will run them,but not cleanly.

At 440lbs or more,you'd be well advised to consider building the bottom end of the engine,as the possibilities of bending rods must start to go up at some time.
I did that first,before getting the top end done,but doing that is also very useful if you went for a bigger turbo at some point.

Great thread mate, will hopefully end up with a nice powerful s3 in the near future

Go for it, what do you have planned?

First I've got to sell my btcc Leon then find a nicely spec'd sportback. I'm already planing revo intake, air tec cooler, bcs power valve full system, h&r arbs, will probably just go revo stage 1 to start off with until I can afford a tte 420 and run big power. All this planning and I haven't even got the car yet ha.

A small and not so significant update.. Preparing for winter so I treated myself to a set of used original facelift S3 rims for a bargain bucket price. ET is slightly different moving from 56 to 54mm, didn't think it would be significant but just pushed the fronts out to far on the 15mm spacers I needed to space the rims over the TTRS brakes. Worked out quite nicely as I only needed to buy one set of 12mm spacers and dropped the 15mm's onto the rears.

Plan is to keep these on until the temp drops then take them back off and send for refurb in anthracite ready for summer. Already have my Pirelli W240 SottoZero serie 2 winters ready for fitting to my original rims.

Couple of comparison pics
Rear before spacing

And after

And a shot from the front just because

Reactions: S.
Quick shot from ADI 2015. I was invited by TTS Roadsport to put my car on their stand. Was a great day and really good to meet a few people from ASN. Some beautiful motors here.

Reactions: Rob C and S3Alex
Very nice indeed.

Mine is so dirty they'd have hidden it under a tarpaulin at the back.

Reactions: Dt_racing
This feels like a naff post but its my thread I can ruin it as I like...
So this happened, no idea how probably over excited with the pressure washer.

So I took it off. I have ordered a new one but thought I'd use the opportunity to trial the debadged (sort of) look, its something thats not very much my style but wanted to see if spending some time with it brings me around.

I had to note this somewhere as once again TTS Roadsport go above and beyond to look after me and my car. Backstory is that I had a leak on one of my nice new shiny VWR coilovers, VWR of course offer a 2 year warrenty so they happily offered to repair or replace. There was some issue with supply of new so they sent an AST tech to TTS Roadsport. As always the demanding customer, i needed it done last minute, in a very short time frame. TTS pulled out all the stops opening early and working furiously to get me away before lunch even including an alignment check. If you live around the midlands area or even if not, trust your car to TTS easily the best garage I've ever used.

Reactions: Dan-Jnr
Winging their merry way to TTS Roadsports as I speak a lovely Vagbremtechnic kit. Hopefully be fitted this side of Christmas

Last edited:
Reactions: S3Alex, Rob C and Dan-Jnr
Summer rims back from refurb. Only just put on the winters and already want to put these back on. Not scuffed already, just tyre sealant, need to get that off sharpish

Bought some new genuine wheel nut covers/centre caps to. Couldnt have fresh wheels with tatty centres. Jeez my posts are dull at the minute...

Brighter note, Thursday 3rd for the Vagbrem kit fitment...happy days.

Last edited:
what colour were wheels done? can't tell from this picture if it's anthracite, or somekind of bronze...
i was looking for some colour for my winter wheels (same wheels as yours), but can't decide which.

what colour were wheels done? can't tell from this picture if it's anthracite, or somekind of bronze...
i was looking for some colour for my winter wheels (same wheels as yours), but can't decide which.
Suppose they do look a little bronze in that picture but they are BMW anthracite. It was the lightest anthracite I could find.

Suppose they do look a little bronze in that picture but they are they BMW Anthracite. Its the lightest Anthracite I could find.
the one that's common on x5 and x6 wheels? i was thinking about that colour too :D
got oz ultrallegera's for summer wheels in matt anthracite so would like something different for winter wheels, but might leave them as they are this winter and get them done for next.

the one that's common on x5 and x6 wheels? i was thinking about that colour too :D
got oz ultrallegera's for summer wheels in matt anthracite so would like something different for winter wheels, but might leave them as they are this winter and get them done for next.
TBH I couldnt tell you, when we were discussing colour the paint shop showed me their anthracite range, i prefered the lightest and he said that it was a BMW colour, cant tell you any more than that I'm afraid.

Jealous of your ultrallegera's, would have loved some for summer.

Reactions: S.
Always nice to get your hands on the hardware, its stunning stuff, the caliper mounting braket is beautiful. How sad am I?
Being fitted today

Not at all sad.

Shiny bits of metal are good.

A small thing but makes a difference.. I can now have wheel weights on the inside of my rims, the slightly smaller diameter discs (162mm) opposed to the standard 170mm and the new mount brackets have moved the disc well away from the inside of the rim. Great stuff. Also they sit 4mm further inboard so I can run smaller spacers. Its always nice when you get hold of a properly thought out bit of kit. Had to remove the inner dust shields with these but hay ho no drama.

Brakes feel great, on the road exactly the same with a marginally better pedal feel but i'd imagine thats the braided lines and fresh fluid as opposed to anything else.

One more for good measure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan-Jnr