S3 gone to a new home....

Is it a early one or does it have variocam?
Would have gone for the carrera 2,didn't fancy a early 996 then?

[ QUOTE ]
Is it a early one or does it have variocam?
Would have gone for the carrera 2,didn't fancy a early 996 then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Late model varioram. With regard to the carrera 2 vs 4 it really comes down to the right car with the right options and condition, had the car I bought been a c2 I would have been just as keen as with it being a c4 - buy on condition and heritage rather than a specific model... Early 996 carrera, yuk. Horrilble cars, fragile engines, uninvolving chassis and sadly most of them have been abused. Strange that a 2000 996 can be had for less money than a 993...

As long as your happy mate,i saw a black 993 turbo the other day and it looked stunning!

congratulations matey - nice christmas prezzy...but remember a porsche is for life not just for christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Rob

p.s. get those pics up quick!

[ QUOTE ]
How many miles is a well maintained 993 engine good for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... This debate has rolled for years on Rennlist... And there is no definative answer. Most people rekon that a 964 3.6 will last 100k before needing a valve seal replacement at least and most rekon that porsche solved these problems on the 993 and that 130k+ is possible without opening the engine... Who knows? But there are many companies offering top end and valve guide rebuilds for relatively modest cost!

Ryan, I'm delighted with it! It looks great, sounds great and is something that really requires concentration and adaptation to drive properly. I grew up with toy porsches in a similar shape to the 993, so as a route to fulfilling early idolisation it's spot on! What's even better is that the new 997 looks like the 993 again, so apart from the medieval interior they still look really fresh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sadly, it's just too dark and slippy to drive at the moment, so it's tucked up in the garage waiting for the weekend.

Sure you will get the hang of driving it pretty quickly going by you in the S3 round knockhill.

A guy in my area has a 993 turbo looks amazing and sound fantastic.

Hopefully i will see this car at a future rolling road meet or similar.

Cheers,
Paul.

Nice choice matey, i love 993's and it sounds like a minter. Much much more desirable than a fried egg headlighted 996 3.4 and the 993 turbo is too vulgar in its boost delivery. It really seems all or nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Please don't tell me your going to track it though - we all know Porsches are only for polishing and parking outside winebars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't tell me your going to track it though - we all know Porsches are only for polishing and parking outside winebars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, i'm disarmed by the frequency with which I find myself cleaning it. I'm not a fan of the current salt and mud flavoured roads.... and it does look lovely and shiney!!

I'm planning a trip to the ring in spring and doubtless it'll have a few track outings in the interim.

Very nice choose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I keep looking at the 993 c2s. But i dont have a garage, so theres no way i can get one until i have a somewhere to keep it nice and warm.

AndyS3 - i have a garage. i'll let you park it at mine, just leave the keys when you aren't using it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There needs to be a tumbleweed smiley... so come on David, what did you get and pics please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

tumble.gif

Well, thank god for that.

I managed to miss the entire thread up until now (don't know how). And I'm happy I discovered it after David had decided to let everyone know! I remember when Glen picked up his porker, amazing ammount of frustration for something nothing at all to do with my life!!!

Sounds like a great choice mate, How does it compare in straight line pace with the S3 (and Glens C4S)?

[ QUOTE ]
How does it compare in straight line pace with the S3 (and Glens C4S)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll suggest that the S3 will be quicker out of tight corners, in real driving, up to approx 70MPH as it has so much low down torque...the S3 was certainly quicker than my C4S in such conditions.

For standing starts...both Davids 993 and my 996 would be far quicker..

As for David's 993 against my 996...we'll have to wait and see...I think mine wil be slightly quicker...but only just...time will tell, i'm sure...

Interesting.

Would have liked to have seen the S3 when I was up your way, would have been very interesting comparing with mine (just chipped). Though, probably a bad idea, and make me spend lots of money!!

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a great choice mate, How does it compare in straight line pace with the S3 (and Glens C4S)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers!

I would second Glen's views - the S3 was so easy to drive quickly on twisty roads that it would be quicker point to point. On a track such as knockhill I would think the S3 would be quicker due to the grip and handling advantage.

993 vs 996 - interesting question. Magazines and manufacturers figures suggest there is only about 0.1s to 60 differences between the 2 although in the real world the 996 has better mid range torque and perhaps more importantly PSM (thus smaller balls required to pilot a 996 quickly vs 993)

However, pure speed is not the entire picture and whilst the S3 was quicker than the 996 on the twisties and on track, the 996 was MUCH more fun. Impressions so far of the 993 are the same - great car to drive, real feedback, tactility and enjoyment. S3 = effective, porsche = fun!

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting.

Would have liked to have seen the S3 when I was up your way, would have been very interesting comparing with mine (just chipped).

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's anything like comparing mine with other 'just chipped' S3s I've driven...it's night and day.
The torque delivery was so aggressive on my (our!) old S3...great!

It also handles unlike any other audi i've ever driven...

[ QUOTE ]

Though, probably a bad idea, and make me spend lots of money!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 = effective, porsche = fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I suggest this should read:

S3 = effective but numb and insulating...
Porsche = exhilarating, fun and effective...