S3 Fuel Pump, can it be replaced on it own???

jk_s3

Reaction score
hi guys, im looking at changing the fuel pump on my 2001 amk s3 and was wondering if the fuel pump can be removed from the fuel pump/sender unit and replaced on its own or if the whole unit has to be replaced.

i have had a search around but cant find a definative answer.

many thanks

If you can buy one on its own then maybe but I doubt it will save you much money (guessing this is the reason for asking)...

From personal experience and experiences expressed by others that have changed pumps then personally I would accept the inevitable and buy a genuine one... Westy found his 'aftermarket replacement' was next to useless so ended up buying an OEM one...

<tuffty/>

If you can buy one on its own then maybe but I doubt it will save you much money (guessing this is the reason for asking)...

From personal experience and experiences expressed by others that have changed pumps then personally I would accept the inevitable and buy a genuine one... Westy found his 'aftermarket replacement' was next to useless so ended up buying an OEM one...

<tuffty/>

No mate that was the issue with the heater matrix. Someone else had the fuel pump issue ;)

I've learnt my lesson now and only get genuine kit but I do get healthy discounts.

Yes you can just replace the pump part of the unit ... i did... was easy to do when youve got the whole unit out. I got the pump part from Dingbro my parts supplier was way cheaper than Audi/TPS aint genuine part tho...however the old genuine part looked absolutely identical to the new one even in the small details like they ve come from the same suppling factory cant remember the brand but have the invoice somewhere

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not worried how complicated it is to replace the pump on its own as I'm a mechanic so that's not an issue. I was hoping the pump on its own was available and cheaper!!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not worried how complicated it is to replace the pump on its own as I'm a mechanic so that's not an issue. I was hoping the pump on its own was available and cheaper!!
VDO pump.. so if the other guy can post the part number that would be helpful for all.
I bought and fitted a pump only to an ibiza last week... fuel pump listed separately for an LCR... £60 approx From Euro's

Right i had a rake through my paperwork this is all i can tell you .... Fuel Pump part number XFP4041 and it cost me £176.31 + vat @trade pretty sure TPS wanted £230 ish + vat for the same part, i wouldnt guess at what the whole unit cost was :ohmy:
I remember the pump came allready in a white plastic unit not bare as the pic above theres a connecting pipe for the other half of tank too
The sender unit screws to the fuel pump unit, swap wires over and swap plastic pipes over for feed and return....be careful when swapping the plastic pipes over they are brick hard, i softened them with a gentle heat.... apart from that it didnt take long to do:thumbsup:
Hope this helps

Does anyone no for certain what the standard pump pressure is? 3bar or 4bar? I've found the pump that badger5 mentioned on euro car parts website but it states its a 3 bar pump. Thanks.