S3 fuel economy

Sorry...but I got halfway through reading this thread and fell asleep....you don't buy an S3 to see how much fuel you can save....its missing the point completely of having a 'performance car'. Lets see who can get the worst fuel economy! :) lol

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Reznor, Simon L and 1 other person
Sorry...but I got halfway through reading this thread and fell asleep....you don't buy an S3 to see how much fuel you can save....its missing the point completely of having a 'performance car'. Lets see who can get the worst fuel economy! :) lol

Ha ha love posts like this. If I drove it like it was stolen everywhere I would end up with no licence and or skint! Yes it's a performance car but it's performance wasn't the only reason I bought it. Nice interior, nice to look at, sounds nice etc etc.

I much prefer to drive it normally 90% of the time and enjoy it's other benefits and enjoy it to its full potential 10% of the time when the conditions are right for an enthusiastic drive!

I'm no mrs daisy... I have had low teens out of on a couple of occasions since installing DTUK box

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and PanamaS3
Mate l am doing 500 miles hundred a week the last thing l want to do is blast my way to and from work at 6am when l still haven't woken up and 5pm when l am ******

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Simon L and PanamaS3
Ha ha love posts like this. If I drove it like it was stolen everywhere I would end up with no licence and or skint! Yes it's a performance car but it's performance wasn't the only reason I bought it. Nice interior, nice to look at, sounds nice etc etc.

I much prefer to drive it normally 90% of the time and enjoy it's other benefits and enjoy it to its full potential 10% of the time when the conditions are right for an enthusiastic drive!

I'm no mrs daisy... I have had low teens out of on a couple of occasions since installing DTUK box
Fair play Darlo...I was just poking the bear
Agree with you on all the reasons to have one....and sometimes Miss Daisy does make an appearance in my car as Panama is a small place and I don't want to be known (in Spanish) as "that tosser in the white Audi" :)

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and Darlo
Mate l am doing 500 miles hundred a week the last thing l want to do is blast my way to and from work at 6am when l still haven't woken up and 5pm when l am ******
I hear you Jassy....maybe this thread should be renamed "Daily drivers in beige S3 fuel economy" :) :)

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Simon L and Jassyo06
Fair play Darlo...I was just poking the bear
Agree with you on all the reasons to have one....and sometimes Miss Daisy does make an appearance in my car as Panama is a small place and I don't want to be known (in Spanish) as "that tosser in the white Audi" :)

Ha ha if it makes you feel any better I have an embarrassing admission.... My Mrs drives it like its stolen every time she borrows it which is now becoming less and less often

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Simon L and PanamaS3
Ha ha if it makes you feel any better I have an embarrassing admission.... My Mrs drives it like its stolen every time she borrows it which is now becoming less and less often
I wouldn't let my Mrs anywhere near my car,she's got previous as long as my Johnson lol

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Simon L and Darlo
Ha ha....that will never do....suggest you start wearing her underwear....and drive those like they were stolen! See how she likes that! :)

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Simon L, Darlo and 1 other person
If you read my Mrs previous you wouldn't let her near your car either but she is a true petrol head.... And I will do anything for an easy life ha ha

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, PanamaS3, Simon L and 1 other person
NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!

Depends on an owners motivation.
I NEED to get decent MPG....... because then the S3 can be the "sensible" car :rockwoot:

R8, 991.2, M3/4 - i just would not give a flying :whistle2: re economy :respekt:

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and PanamaS3
~750 miles in and i've not been flooring it, a combination of "normal" and occasional "spirited" driving on a roads, a couple of motorway trips and some stop start town driving and my average so far is just under 30mpg. Had standard unleaded in at first then V-Power ever since.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
10,000 miles in and you won't believe this but when I looked at my average it said 84.3 mpg!!!.....and also when I go to the pump it won't fill up and my car puts fuel back in the pump!! :) :) :)
Ok...back to earth...so I often drive 'spirited by the Devil' along with the odd Miss Daisy moment....and I'm getting 26.3 mpg with only local 95 RON which is probably 2 parts fuel and 1 part iced tea...Audi fuel boffs come here every year to check fuel quality around the country and leave scratching their heads

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Jassyo06, xBox and 1 other person
my long term average is 32mpg

Which with about 1300 miles on the clock so far, is around about what I'm getting. About 90% touring mode, and 10% hooning mode if I'm being honest. Drive it in Eco mode then drop the stick to 'S' when I need to either get passed things quick, or am in the mood to have a bit of fun.

I find that in Eco mode with the S-Tronic box, even just using the paddles to drop it down gets over the delay in the kick down of the box if you leave it to it's own devices. Sorts itself out a few seconds later and goes from (as an example) M4 to E4.

As others have already replied, most folk are buying S3's as a good 'all rounder' in that it has the power on tap to drive fast but also doubles up as a sensible hatchback. If I wanted a hooning car, I'd have gone for a Caterham or Elise as a weekend warrior choice. But I want the all round option and with it, some decent miles out of tank.

Been using Momentum/Sainsbury's Super Unleaded for the first 4 tanks. Was going to then see if there's much of a difference on normal unleaded. Certainly wouldn't notice it in terms of outright performance... and to be honest, not that interested as I'm not racing anyone. But interested to see if it makes any odds to MPG.

Reactions: stan1000, SpeedyFrog and PanamaS3
I have never had more than 180 miles from a full tank so its great to see my car can achieve that!!

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
I just wanted to point out that the difference between US mpg and UK mpg is quite significant due to the way a gallon is measured. An Imperial/UK gallon is 4.54609 litres and a US gallon is 3.78541 litres. The conversion rate from US to UK miles per gallon is 1.20095 and going from UK to US is 0.832674. I generally get about 22 US mpg (26.4 UK mpg) with normal city driving, and have topped out at around 34 US mpg (40.8 UK mpg) for highway. This can account for the vast differences in numbers when we compare across the pond.
200_s.gif

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and pburv
US gallons can be that bit smaller these days, since the US market benefits from lighter bodywork than the rest of the world markets.

US Aluminum bodywork is 11% lighter than European Aluminium, on account it missing the letter "i". t's all n the detal...

Reactions: pburv, azibux1, Daveotto and 2 others