S3 Front suspension rattle

Idrees

Reaction score
Website
www.id-workz.co.uk
Hi guys

I've done a search on this and found mixed reviews. I thought I would make a new post to see if anyone else has had the exact same problem as me, and how it was fixed.

My front suspension (08 S3) rattles badly. It sounds like a bad top mount as it rattles over any pothole or bump in the road. I've had it inspected by two garages who have both said everything is fine and no components are showing signs of excessive wear.

I had the same problem on my old R32 (although it was a very occasional/minor rattle) and I ended up changing the lower arm bushes, top mounts, drop links and ball joints - nothing helped!

I don't want to do the same with the S3 so I'm going someone can shed some light on this.

Thank you in advance!

I have got the same problem with mine but with mine I have found its the steering rack and that's after changing suspention and all the bushes on the from I found it by when I parked up at home I rocked the steering wheel a little left to right and I heard it knocking and than put it on a mot ramp with the new twist plates hold the rack arm and turn them on and you can feel the knock as well.

Reactions: bennyball
Sounds like a similar issue to the one I'm having at present, along with a vibration at 65+mph
Ive changed so far:
Top mounts
Wishbones and balljoints
Hubs and bearings
Brakes
Driveshaft

As Joe said above, I now think mine is the steering rack as I've got play in the steering wheel.

Same here, polybushed the front end, changed top mounts etc but rattle still there when going over an uneven surface. It is in with TSR today for MOT & Service and they are having a look at the rack for me.

Looks like a common fault, as i also have the same issue

Have you got a price for it yet as I would take some oxygen and mask with you £1000 supply only than tracking and 4 hours labour.

******, sounds pretty conclusive for us all then.

TPS quoted me about £1200 the other day, surcharge for exchange of old rack is £80+VAT

******, sounds pretty conclusive for us all then.

TPS quoted me about £1200 the other day, surcharge for exchange of old rack is £80+VAT
Ouch. I am trying to get mine done by the garage I got the car from as I have only had it two months.

Hmmm on stationary moving the wheel left and right ....no knocks....I suspect mines due to nackered top mounts!

Hmmm on stationary moving the wheel left and right ....no knocks....I suspect mines due to nackered top mounts!
Hopefully it is your top mounts but.... I had no knocks doing the same thing. To test your rack. put the car on full left lock jack up the off side and grab the knuckle joint on the end of the rack and push up and down, not in and out if you get my drift. If there is movement thats a sign of "knackered rack". It appears to be the "slide" bearing that fails.

Reactions: HansfishS3
Have you lot had the subframe mounts inspected. It's another common problem.

Resolved
I had new suspension top mounts fitted which didn't help at all.

A few days later I had the steering rack replaced and the noise has gone. Feels awesome to drive the car rattle free.

Thank you all for your help.

Resolved
I had new suspension top mounts fitted which didn't help at all.

A few days later I had the steering rack replaced and the noise has gone. Feels awesome to drive the car rattle free.

Thank you all for your help.
What did it cost you for the rack

£100 for the rack with 60k miles
£50 labour for fitting
£30 wheel alignment

Not as bad as I first expected although it'll be a lot more if you bought a new/refurbished rack.
I would be getting a new one to be honest. So there is my expense.

Just tried this... Doesn't seem to have any movement at all ...next job replace topmounts

Ive got this also! But when i brake hard or from fast speed i get a bad judder/knock, topmounts is what i was going to change next but it could be the rack i suppose, it does creak when i turn full lock at slow speeds, whats the best way of checking the rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the plunge and got mine sorted. Went for a new unit in the end. Only a £100ish more than a recon one. Feels like a new car now:friendly wink:
Rack + couple of hours labour @ RetorResus has made all the difference