S3 Front speakers

S3Steve

Reaction score
Due to the shallow mounting depth for the front speakers in the S3, choices are quite limited, i was wondering what speakers people who have already upgraded have used?

quite a few companies do shallow fit speakers
kenwood,alpine,jbl,
the one id reccomend is the rainbow cs but it does involve a little bit of messing around to fit them
other than that id reccomend focal access which should fit straight in no messing
there are some others such as dynaudio but these cost perhaps 3 times that of the others which may or may not be above your budget

there is another guy on the forum named andymac who is very knowledgable on the s3 whom may be able to give you some more options

Thanks for you reply, ive been told focal do some slim speakers that work well in the S3. I was hoping some S3/A3 owners out there had some experience, as ive heard some speakers that sound better in some cars than others, due to speaker location.

I've fitted alpine 5.25" speakers in the front door of my a3.
you will need spacers to make them fit.
you will not really get any bass from the front speakers as there is nothing solid to fix the speakers against, the speakers are actually fitted on the door card. i wouldnt worry too much about the bass if your fitting a sub.

I changed all my speakers and am running them off a 4 channel amplifier, and have also fitted a 12" sub in a sealed box in the boot.

Ive fitted the 2 amps in the space where the audi sub used to be, so they dont take up any of my boot space and the wiring is hidden away nicely.

i had focal ployglass 5.25 slim in mine, the tweeters sound amazing but they really dont kick out ANY bass at all! now ive had these focal k2p fitted into an aftermarket collar sound amazing

01022007045.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg

to get good upfront midbass from the focals you would have to go active
unfortunatly focals passives air on the side of caution as to the level of midbass they let through
but they can do it with solid enough mountings

I was trying to avoid having to fit custom enclosures to the front doors, but if thats what it takes to get the sound quality right i might have to bite the bullet and just do it.
Did you make those enclosures ED, or did you buy them from somewhere?