S3 Front Door Speakers

mramage

Reaction score

Well, got the MB Quarts fitted today. The autoleads front adapter rings were a wee bit naff, not as good as the MB Quart adapters for the A4. They were nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway, I had to use the wee clips (the ones you use for thin parcel shelf fittings) that come with the speakers to actually attach them to the adapters (woofers). Not brilliant, but it seems to work ok. The tweeters in the S3 are sublty different from the A4, so the pressure clip required a little, ahem, modification and the MB Quart stickers came in useful to pad out the tweeter a bit. Tis going nowhere now.

Routing cable through the door is ok, have to take the glove box out passenger side, but it's ok driver side. Some hassle taking it across the centre console.

Fired it up, sounds great! Forgot how good those quarts were. Have a bit of noise though and turn off thump so relays ordered to cure that. Will see how the noise goes.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Mark

which mb's did you opt for, dsd, rsc, or the psd.

I'm only asking as the Kenwood book of info (which is used by many HiFi shops) gives a max mounting depth of 54mm for the A3, and the mb's have a 61 mm depth. Is it diferent for the S3 i dunno?

Also if you used any of the above combo's where did you put the x-overs.

Cheers

Lewy

Hi Lewy. It was the RSC I went for. They fit fine, though I was a numpty and didn't use the 4 screw adapters that came with it. I used the metal clips and screwed it in so they held them in place onto the fitting rings. Still, there haven't been any problems so far.

The crossovers fit fine down the back of the carpet where it ends at bulkhead of the passenger footwell. Quite neat I thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I couldn't find any room at the drivers side, so both are at the passenger side. Easy access as well. I just changed them to -6db on the tweeter, sounds more balanced now IMHO.

If you need any more info, just let me know.