S3 front brake calipers and discs on A3 2.0TDi

SimonAshley

Reaction score
Want to upgrade the brakes on my A3.
Just wondering if someone can let me know if its worth installing S3 front brakes or if it wont make much difference to standard.
Also will it be a straight bolt on replacement?

i put on main 312 mm of a3 quatrro and they fit perfectly. improvement on breaking. looking great :)

Nigel has done S3 brakes, they make a massive difference on a TDI, I feel that the 2.0TDI brakes are cack as it is. I've just put a deposit down on a R8 4 pot brake setup from Shark Performance:

R8Setup1.jpg

£1k for the kit. Consists of:

R8 rear 4 pot caliper.
S3 OEM drilled 345mm discs
Padig pads
Carriers
Braided Lines.

Shark Performance aka Ben Wardle available on 07824 776709

I've been looking into putting the S3 brakes on my TFSI Quattro as coming from a Porsche the stock set up just doesn't really have enough bite further through the pedal travel.

The kit looks easy to do but reading on some US forums and on Golf forums, it looks like some reprogramming of the ABS systems needs doing as the sensors will be set up differently. This is seems to have been a problem with a few golfs where the ABS either cuts in far too early or owners experience catching.

To anyone who has done the conversion, did they change any settings in the braking ECU?

£1k for the kit. Consists of:

R8 rear 4 pot caliper.
S3 OEM drilled 345mm discs
Padig pads
Carriers
Braided Lines.

Shark Performance aka Ben Wardle available on 07824 776709

Thats a very good price for the quality of the kit. Any idea of how wide the calipers are to know what size spacers are needed?

Yeah but lets talk bluntly, why stick an R8 etc setup on a stock or even generic remap 2.0 tdi, Mikey's I can understand given we're talking dogs nads upgrades, but I have the 345mm setup, admittedly single piston but they're more than man enough & ***** load cheaper than the ones above, Nate as we always say your car, but what a complete & utter waste of money for yours mate, can spend that dough on much better things like S5 seats huh.

The 345's on mine are great & will still be great when its customed for my hybrid soon.

Thats a very good price for the quality of the kit. Any idea of how wide the calipers are to know what size spacers are needed?

No spacers required Mikey, I'll let you know when they are on. Pm sent.

Yeah but lets talk bluntly, why stick an R8 etc setup on a stock or even generic remap 2.0 tdi, Mikey's I can understand given we're talking dogs nads upgrades, but I have the 345mm setup, admittedly single piston but they're more than man enough & ***** load cheaper than the ones above, Nate as we always say your car, but what a complete & utter waste of money for yours mate, can spend that dough on much better things like S5 seats huh.

The 345's on mine are great & will still be great when its customed for my hybrid soon.

Nige, I already know your opinion on brakes. Its not a waste of money in MY OPINION. Its also MINE that counts :icon_thumright:

In the words of South Park

"I LOVVVVVE YOU" lmfao

lmfao, 4 pots is for puffs, single big pistons are for wannabee tractor drivers

lmfao

Dude I know you love fucket seats, here's some great ones:

bucket-seats.jpg

Yeah I have 18's with et42 & they bolt straight on obviously with carriers etc from an S3/R32/3.2 car.

Top link is for the 8L so isnt bolt on afaik, the 2nd link doesnt seem to have the caliper carriers.

Carriers interms of it holds the calipers onto the hub, the pillar that the suspension, wheels, driveshafts are connected to

Why are you selling them?
You say no warranty sold as seen is this because there is a problem with them?
Are the pads still in good condition?
Cheers mate

I'm selling them as I think I might sell the car, not sure yet will decide in the new year. The pads are fine with plenty of wear left on them, you will not need to buy any new discs or pads.

I just put no warranty sold as seen, as that is just the default text for any cars or car parts being sold. Nothing is wrong with them at all.

mkv golf r32 / a3 or tt 3.2 and s3 are all the same front and rear brakes

front are about £250 usually for a full front set with disks, brackets, calipers and hoses with some used pads, hopefully with a set of splashbacks as well.

rears usually about £150 to £200

great value upgrade, often more 3.2 setups in the breakers or ebay.

Hi all
I have an 06 A3 2.0TDI 3dr - I am about to purchase a 3.2 brake disc system, I take it all I need are:

Brake discs
Pads
Calipers
Carriers?

Anything else? I will be asking my local garage to fit them and maybe supply them - how expensive do you think it will be?

The standard brake system is just terrible, thanks.

I've been looking at buying these instead

Linky

yey or ney?

Last edited:
I think ZeroSixty discs are OK no worse then anyone elses really and the drilled dot and groved design is common on a lot of discs. The discs themselfs will not make any really difference in braking as they are still the same size as stock. It`s the pads that need changing.

Hi all
I have an 06 A3 2.0TDI 3dr - I am about to purchase a 3.2 brake disc system, I take it all I need are:

Brake discs
Pads
Calipers
Carriers?

Anything else? I will be asking my local garage to fit them and maybe supply them - how expensive do you think it will be?

Brake lines maybe.

Dont try buy new as will cost the earth.

Audi local garage or independent?

Did you want a set then?

A year ago I installed 3.2 brakes (345mm) on my 2.0TDI (288mm). The difference is huge and I think that's more than enough. Now my engine delivers 180bhp and I feel good with this brake power (anyway, I agree with N8KOW: good brakes worth every penny)

Some pics:

BEFORE

2yuzvwn.jpg

AFTER:

29p83k9.jpg

34o4tq9.jpg

g.

EDIT: sorry for the size of the pictures!

Last edited:
BTW, 3.2 front brakes kit and S3 ones are exactly the same, the last ones only have the S3 logo on them (I really prefer not to have the logo)

g.

You're 99.99999% correct, all made by ATE aka Continental, same exact design, carriers, calipers, discs, pads, lines, only difference is purely aesthetical, S3 ones have a slight differing appearance at front, more angular design profile to make look more devilish, lol, also the sprung loaded retainer has the S3 name plate instead of just the clip.

I have a local independent that does my discs/pads. If I want the 3.2/S3 setup I assume I can't just ask him to purchase the parts? ie. discs, pads, calipers, etc

I need to buy the system myself, then he sources the discs/pads should I need them?

I'll be doing this pretty soon hopefully so will keep everyone updated.

As I would need a the full kit for the S3/R32 brake setup I may be getting some performance discs instead.

Been looking at http://www.performancebrakes.co.uk/

Front:
312 Diam
50 Height
25 New Thick-ness
23 Min Thick-ness

£162 a pair.