Facelift S3 FL - 3 door v 5 door (differences and opinions)

Do you prefer the 3 or 5 door?

• Total voters
BTW, there was a thread on here and a few people talking about the A3/S3 not being available as a 3 door model from new. Not sure when this is being introduced or if it already has though.

Audi don't make the 3 door anymore do they? That says it all... Sportback is better ;)

Can't order a 3-door any more - it's gone from the website.

Hilariously, the main image for the A3 on the "new cars" section of the website is actually a 3-door, but when you click on it to expand the models available, there aren't any 3-doors.

The saloon is the worst of the lot. Saloons look outdated and are old fashioned.

LOL, you are so alone.

Saloons are making a big comeback, mainly because hatchbacks are common as muck and all look the same. Hatchbacks and SUVs account for 95% of the vehicles on the road these days. If you want to be a sheep, go right ahead ;)

Reactions: Jcbmally
Can't order a 3-door any more - it's gone from the website.

Hilariously, the main image for the A3 on the "new cars" section of the website is actually a 3-door, but when you click on it to expand the models available, there aren't any 3-doors.

LOL, you are so alone.

Saloons are making a big comeback, mainly because hatchbacks are common as muck and all look the same. Hatchbacks and SUVs account for 95% of the vehicles on the road these days. If you want to be a sheep, go right ahead ;)

Baaaaaaa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s all subjective. S3 3 door on 18’s looks spot on, whilst the 5 door needs 19’s. The saloon is the most classy looking of the 3 Range.

All 3 are desired by future owners

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
I really can't decide if I should get the 3 or 5 door. For the most part I think the 5 door is a little better looking as I prefer the shape of the back and definitely prefer the back lights.

One thing that really bugs me about the 5 door is that it almost looks like an estate when it's meant to be a hatchback. The 3 door has been growing on me more and more, I prefer the more sporty look and I like the smaller size.

I know most people prefer the 5d, but what do you guys think? Also are there any differences between them I might have missed other than the different back lights?
So what you getting then ??

Reactions: Jassyo06
So what you getting then ??

I'm pushing more towards the 3 door now and I guess it'll cost less so I think I'll go for the 3 door. The thing is I'm planning on getting the next gen S3 when it's out so I'll get the 5 door version on that if I need the extra room..and doors.

Reactions: KenL and Jcbmally
Saloons are making a big comeback, mainly because hatchbacks are common as muck and all look the same.

Never understood this reasoning tbh. Would you avoid buying a particular microwave because the bloke next door has one? Audi make mass produced commodity items, they're all "common".

Last edited:
Reactions: 4K
I'm pushing more towards the 3 door now and I guess it'll cost less so I think I'll go for the 3 door. The thing is I'm planning on getting the next gen S3 when it's out so I'll get the 5 door version on that if I need the extra room..and doors.
:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Reactions: Mythos
Most are old farts like jassy on this forum so they like the family wagon of the 5 door. 3 door looks classier though, yet 5dr more practical.

Reactions: KenL
Never understood this reasoning tbh. Would you avoid buying a particular microwave because the bloke next door has one? Audi make mass produced commodity items, they're all "common".

You don't understand my reasoning yet compare cars to microwave ovens?

Firstly I, and many others, think the saloon looks far better than the hatches.

Secondly, many of us prefer to drive something that's a bit more individual and stands out from the crowd. Whether that's choosing a model or variant that's less common or a distinctive colour or even customising their car so it's unique, it's a form of expression that's no different from choosing your own clothing.

Most are old farts like jassy on this forum so they like the family wagon of the 5 door. 3 door looks classier though, yet 5dr more practical.
Well to be honest l have had both sportback and saloon none of which where purchased because of their practicality as l don't do passengers, but l do prefer the saloon over the hatches its got a kind of timeless look to it, a classic Audi design in the small car sector, it's also wider in the metal with a wider stance than the hatches which gives it a little more road presence
I'll leave you with the quote my Mrs said the first day l drove the car into the drive
"WHAOO.. THATS MORE LIKE IT"

Last edited:
Reactions: Martinbanshee, T-800, NevMan and 1 other person

Saloons are making a comeback. Mercedes are releasing a A class saloon to compete against the A3 saloon.

Don't think BMW struggle to shift 3 series either.

I was going to buy an S3 3 door until the release of the Saloon. Once I saw it, that was it. S3 Saloon I bought. For me the Saloon look classier than either the 3 door or sportback.

But, it's not about which one is best. It's about which one you prefer the look of, and fit's in with your lifestyle. I don't need a hatchback, so why would I buy one if I have a choice to buy a saloon instead?

We seam to be a country where if the majority want something, all other choices should be taken away. Most want a 5 door? Stop the 3 door. Most want a hatchback. Stop the saloon. Most want DSG. Stop the manual.

If we get rid of choice, we all become the same.

Reactions: NevMan and Mythos
At no point did I compare cars to microwave ovens.

Yes you did!

I said:

Saloons are making a big comeback, mainly because hatchbacks are common as muck and all look the same.

You responded:

Never understood this reasoning tbh. Would you avoid buying a particular microwave because the bloke next door has one?

You directly compared choosing a car to choosing a microwave oven.

The 3 door was dropped because there was no profit in it but I've never understood why buyers go for the A/S3 saloon when the A/S4 is a better car for similar money. But whilst buyers keep paying well over the odds for the A/S3 saloon Audi will keep making it.

The 3 door was dropped because there was no profit in it but I've never understood why buyers go for the A/S3 saloon when the A/S4 is a better car for similar money. But whilst buyers keep paying well over the odds for the A/S3 saloon Audi will keep making it.

Maybe because the A3 saloon is the correct size for that person. I have the S3 Saloon, but do not want an S4 saloon, as for me the car is too big for my needs.

With your theory, why by an A4, when you can buy an A6. But then why buy an A6, when you can buy an A8.

Reactions: NevMan
Maybe because the A3 saloon is the correct size for that person. I have the S3 Saloon, but do not want an S4 saloon, as for me the car is too big for my needs.

With your theory, why by an A4, when you can buy an A6. But then why buy an A6, when you can buy an A8.

Compared to the A3 saloon, the A4 has better engines, interior, seats, boot space and proportions. The A3 saloon is bigger than the Sportback, not far enough short of the A4 to make much difference in practical terms.

Reactions: KenL and Jcbmally
Yes you did!

I said:

You responded:

You directly compared choosing a car to choosing a microwave oven.

Subtle difference being how one goes about choosing a commodity item and a direct comparison between a car and a Microwave :)

Splitting hairs won't help you :p

Cars are not commodities in the way microwave ovens are. That's the point.

Compared to the A3 saloon, the A4 has better engines, interior, seats, boot space and proportions. The A3 saloon is bigger than the Sportback, not far enough short of the A4 to make much difference in practical terms.

Well, the A4 is a newer car, so will have a more up to date interior. But its also a jump in price too.

S3 Saloon £38,110
S4 Saloon £46,080

In what way are you saying the A4 is more practical than the A3? It's bigger yes, but how is bigger more practical. The A3 is big enough for me (and many others) so for us, the A3 is practical enough for our needs. Yet those with families may (like you) find it too small for your needs. Handily, Audi thought of this, and made a slightly bigger car and called it the A4.

And as for practicality on the road, the A3 is narrower so take up less space on the road, and is easier to park between other cars. So more practical in those terms.

Maybe everyone who owns an A3 should email Audi and inform them that we want the A1 scrapped as it's not practical enough for us.

Reactions: NevMan, KenL and Bells
Well, the A4 is a newer car, so will have a more up to date interior. But its also a jump in price too.

S3 Saloon £38,110
S4 Saloon £46,080

In what way are you saying the A4 is more practical than the A3? It's bigger yes, but how is bigger more practical. The A3 is big enough for me (and many others) so for us, the A3 is practical enough for our needs. Yet those with families may (like you) find it too small for your needs. Handily, Audi thought of this, and made a slightly bigger car and called it the A4.

And as for practicality on the road, the A3 is narrower so take up less space on the road, and is easier to park between other cars. So more practical in those terms.

Maybe everyone who owns an A3 should email Audi and inform them that we want the A1 scrapped as it's not practical enough for us.

Do those prices include the discount and contributions available? the difference is much much less.
You can get a weeks shopping in an A4 boot.
I've never known a couple of inches make much difference - at least no on the road.
The A1 interior is really poor, but that really is a cheaper car.

Not saying you're wrong wanting and buying an S3 saloon, just that they are well overpriced.

Do those prices include the discount and contributions available? the difference is much much less.
I've never known a couple of inches make much difference - at least no on the road.

Not saying you're wrong wanting and buying an S3 saloon, just that they are well overpriced.

**** the A1 is getting a bashing now, well there's a A1 sat outside my door just now along with my S3 and in several departments of the interior like door handles, doors,climate control switch gear, steering column stalks are better made and feel more quality than in my S3 fact
This thread is all about some member who's asked a opinion between the 2 hatches and by the sounds will end up not buying either....
Why Audi charge more for a saloon **** knows who cares and its all getting a bit boring now

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, TYb and 1 other person
**** the A1 is getting a bashing now, well there's a A1 sat outside my door just now along with my S3 and in several departments of the interior like door handles, doors,climate control switch gear, steering column stalks are better made and feel more quality than in my S3 fact
This thread is all about some member who's asked a opinion between the 2 hatches and by the sounds will end up not buying either....
Why Audi charge more for a saloon **** knows who cares and its all getting a bit boring now
Whilst we are at it, bring back the A2 ;-) and scrap the cruddy saloons

Reactions: NevMan, KenL, Bells and 1 other person
A2 was a ground breaking car. Loved it and wish I had owned one. I was probably in a Punto at the time.

This will be (as far as I can remember) my first ever 5 door. Only entertained the idea due to expecting our first baby. But...and from reading
some of the comments on here, such as being able to use back seats for gym bag, shopping etc seems to make sense.
Also the parking issue with big doors, I share a car port with a Tiguan, current car is an E class coupe and I have to literally pour myself out.
In a weird way I maybe think the RS3's originally only being available in 5 door may have gone some way to help the image of the 5 door A/S3?
I dunno? anyway more doors= more wh*res...:sign ban:

Reactions: Weeb and Jassyo06
Whilst we are at it, bring back the A2 ;-) and scrap the cruddy saloons
A2 Was a real Audi with real Audi build quality, same could be said of the original mk1 TT, rock solid build that seems to be eroding away from the Audi brand

Reactions: amb66, NevMan and TYb
A2 Was a real Audi with real Audi build quality, same could be said of the original mk1 TT, rock solid build that seems to be eroding away from the Audi brand
I was jesting. I loved my MK1 TT 3.2 DSG, until the gearbox blew up that was. Felt solid and sounded amazing.

1CBB3F4B CC35 4C17 9C9D E923DCB0650C

The only photo I have of it is post hitting a pheasant...

Reactions: MattSedg and Jassyo06
Nice to see people admitting that the 3 door looks better. The "sportback" is only better for practicality after all :)
@KenL give it a rest will ya lol its like a mother who has a ugly baby but in her eyes it's the best thing since sliced bread, that's my summation of the 3 door

Reactions: T-800

You can't argue discount, as we can only go off list. And I'd bet a bigger discount is available on the soon to be replaced A3, than there is on the A4. PCP, Contributions, haggling? No two deals will be the same anyway. So pointless argument.

I can get a weeks shopping in the boot of an A3 saloon too. How much ****** shopping do you need?

A couple inches on the road make a huge difference IMHO. All cars are getting bigger and wider. Our road widths stay the same. Wider car, less room on the road.

Reactions: KenL and NevMan
Wife had a A2 that I used to "borrow" for commutes into London. Great little car with 1.4 (think it was TFSI) .

Reactions: toooldforboyracing, KenL and Jassyo06
Well to be honest l have had both sportback and saloon none of which where purchased because of their practicality as l don't do passengers, but l do prefer the saloon over the hatches its got a kind of timeless look to it, a classic Audi design in the small car sector, it's also wider in the metal with a wider stance than the hatches which gives it a little more road presence
I'll leave you with the quote my Mrs said the first day l drove the car into the drive
"WHAOO.. THATS MORE LIKE IT"
hear hear @jassyo06 Being in a "pointless" Q5 SUV I shouldn't have a say, but I will anyway...Love the saloon, also think it looks classy.

The problem with the car pictured is the absolute mess of an area around the C pillar - that small window is a compromise made to fit another door in and means it isn't as clean as the 3 door. It would actually look better if it wasn't as squashed -i.e like an actual estate shape (see the A4 or A6 Avant).

Edit - i'm talking about the picture of the sportback
yeah, really looks a mess :wtf:

You can't argue discount, as we can only go off list. And I'd bet a bigger discount is available on the soon to be replaced A3, than there is on the A4. PCP, Contributions, haggling? No two deals will be the same anyway. So pointless argument.

I can get a weeks shopping in the boot of an A3 saloon too. How much ****** shopping do you need?

A couple inches on the road make a huge difference IMHO. All cars are getting bigger and wider. Our road widths stay the same. Wider car, less room on the road.

Why pay a couple of grand more when all you get is a V6, 8 speed box, better 4WD system, more space, class above interior and don't have to pay £1400 for the VC. Much rather buy a soon to be replaced S3 saloon. Why would anyone consider a new S4 with £8k discount before they even start haggling or a six month old S4 for the same price as a similar aged S3.
Pointless argument that they are virtually the same price if all you want is to squeeze into parking spaces.
As Jassyo says, who cares if the saloon is expensive and it's all getting a bit boring. Audi will continue selling A/S3 saloons at a premium to turn a profit on them. If they cant, they'll go the way of the 3 door.

Reactions: NevMan