S3 FL (2017) - exhaust noise tips

Arj2442

Reaction score
Hi all

Just picked up a 2017 S3 facelift and looking for some clarity on when the exhausts make particular noises and if different modes make a difference?

- is there any difference between having the s-tronic gear box in pure manual (pushed over to the left) vs in normal sport - any impact on pops and bangs on over run or on dsg farts when shifting up?

- any difference between manually downshifting vs the car auto down shifting?

- what's the most effective way to produce crackles? (lifting off between certain rev ranges?) or downshifting?

Keen to hear experiences from S3 owners.

Cheers

Hi man

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your first question: yes the different driving modes and selected gearmode makes a great difference! You wanna be either in individual with engine sound set to Dynamic or just with the driving mode set to Dynamic - with the gear leaver in Sport in both modes. If you put the leaver in manual make sure its was in sport before changing to manual mode.

There is, but not because of the programming of the gearbox but because you can hit a better "crackle-point" yourself. The DSG farts are loudest at high rpm under full throttle but have a slightly different note at say e.g. 5.000rpm.

Yes! Huge difference since you can control the shifting point yourself. See below answer.

So what you wanna have in mind if you wanna make it crackle is to not touch the brake while you downshift. This requires a little practice but the crackles are much more pronounced if you're not braking while trying to make it crackle. Downshift sweet spots for crackles:
4th-3rd: 3.300rpm
3rd-2nd: 3.000rpm
2nd-1st: 2.500rpm

Reactions: Callum5 and Arj2442
If you want more noise get a resonator delete pipe :) You can also disable the exhaust valves

Reactions: Lehn
Hi man

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your first question: yes the different driving modes and selected gearmode makes a great difference! You wanna be either in individual with engine sound set to Dynamic or just with the driving mode set to Dynamic - with the gear leaver in Sport in both modes. If you put the leaver in manual make sure its was in sport before changing to manual mode.

There is, but not because of the programming of the gearbox but because you can hit a better "crackle-point" yourself. The DSG farts are loudest at high rpm under full throttle but have a slightly different note at say e.g. 5.000rpm.

Yes! Huge difference since you can control the shifting point yourself. See below answer.

So what you wanna have in mind if you wanna make it crackle is to not touch the brake while you downshift. This requires a little practice but the crackles are much more pronounced if you're not braking while trying to make it crackle. Downshift sweet spots for crackles:
4th-3rd: 3.300rpm
3rd-2nd: 3.000rpm
2nd-1st: 2.500rpm

Thanks @Lehn this is a great overview! Super helpful and I'll have a play around with those rpms etc

From a fuel efficiency perspective have you found much of a difference between having the box in sport auto vs drive auto? (in my short test on first drive, I couldn't see the mpg gauge move at all when switching between d and s.

Cheers

Reactions: Craig_s85
Thanks @Lehn this is a great overview! Super helpful and I'll have a play around with those rpms etc

From a fuel efficiency perspective have you found much of a difference between having the box in sport auto vs drive auto? (in my short test on first drive, I couldn't see the mpg gauge move at all when switching between d and s.

Cheers

Haha you're asking a guy that have done 18mpg the last 3.000miles - I honestly don't know :boxing:

That said, in sport the revs are higher so will use more fuel no matter what.

Haha you're asking a guy that have done 18mpg the last 3.000miles - I honestly don't know :boxing:

That said, in sport the revs are higher so will use more fuel no matter what.

Haha no worries man! Totally understandable and I expect to be doing exactly the same. Just kidding myself into thinking I can get reasonable mpg to help me justify the price paid for the new motor

I've had to tell the other half that we're paying in smiles per mile

I have a 69 plate FL and the soundtrack sucks. I did the res delete and it made very little difference so it's booked in for a few weeks time to get a decat and GPF/OPF delete.

Hoping it frees up the sound so I'll keep you posted!

I have a 69 plate FL and the soundtrack sucks. I did the res delete and it made very little difference so it's booked in for a few weeks time to get a decat and GPF/OPF delete.

Hoping it frees up the sound so I'll keep you posted!

Yes - will be interesting if you can get the filter removed if it reverts back to the sound of the pre filter models!

Yes - will be interesting if you can get the filter removed if it reverts back to the sound of the pre filter models!

I'd imagine it will mate I've already got the Milltek pipework and it's the same as the decat for the PFL.

It's obviously getting mapped at the same time so hopefully it restores some noise!