S3: Fitting FMIC on saturday! What to expect?

FMIC and fogs is easily possible. Mine was fine...

As for clips/joints...depends on the boost you are running.

Personally, I won't accept being stranded when the car breaks because I fitted under-engineered stuff. But, each to their own...

would i be right in saying that it isnt strictly nessesary to remove the pipe on the right that clips from the throttlebody to the OEM SMIC.....my original plan was to lead from that which then wouldnt require removal of the said sensor yes?

would i be right in saying that it isnt strictly nessesary to remove the pipe on the right that clips from the throttlebody to the OEM SMIC.....my original plan was to lead from that which then wouldnt require removal of the said sensor yes?

You can leave that there...I did.
At the end of the day, ANY improvement in IC will help, go too big and you add a bit of lag....and I really wouldn't worry about the plastic pipe that holds the MAP sensor.

my forge kit fits with the fogs in however the bottom hole to secure the bumper underneath the car is about 5mm off, i just made a new hole. it looks like to get it to go back any further i would need to skim some off the whole lower middle grill as thats right up against the intercooler.

Are there any smaller easier fit IC's you can fit to directly replace the existing one wihtout all this butchering? Like a standard one with bigger / better core etc?

As a straight swap what extra does it give? Just more reliable peak boost in hotter conditions or actually more boost?

it will help keep peak boost for longer it wont give you more boost (less if anyting as you would see a slight pressure drop with the bigger IC) but you will be able to tweak your map to run more boost and more timing because of the cooler air

it will help keep peak boost for longer it wont give you more boost (less if anyting as you would see a slight pressure drop with the bigger IC) but you will be able to tweak your map to run more boost and more timing because of the cooler air

Exactly...
You'll not make more power with no other changes...but it will make the power for longer out on the road, by not heatsoaking.
265BHP can become 250, then 235 in a matter of minutes on a warm day.

You shouldn't see a pressure drop, as the MAP is D/S of the IC...so will request more boost to help meet the requested boost curve...assuming your K04 isn't already maxxed out....but this works the K04 harder, adding more heat...etc, etc...

One thing you will be able to do though, is up the boost safely...
So getting more peak torque (quite a lot more) and hold slightly more boost, safely, for longer, further up the rev range.

In a nutshell, it stops you loosing what you could have on a nice cold day, when driving on a warmer, less than perfect day.

I love this forum. So many people that knows what they're talking about. Thanks guys for all the comments and tips. Better clips is on the way. Less silicone and more welding are also planned. I have also booked another visit to the guy that mapped my car before all the upgrades. 3" hose down in the front, shaped airbox, custommade intake/MAF section (AND maybe 200cell brand new cat's)...Then a new hopefully better map, THEN rolling road and THEN I WILL REST MY CASE.

Intake logging will follow next week...

Cheers

lookin forward to seeing this done. good effort dennis:thumbsup:

Got round to fitting my FMIC today. It went pretty smoothly as this is a second hand kit so I knew it would fit. Thanks to Gavin (H100VW) on here for the pipes. May your old A3 rest in peace.

I ended up painting the intercooler and pipes black as I like the look. Just have to cut and fit the bumper tomorrow, but most of the hard work is done.

Hope you don't mind me posting in your thread.

FMIC_006_640x480.jpg

FMIC_011_640x480.jpg

FMIC_021_640x480.jpg

FMIC_022_640x480.jpg

FMIC_032_640x480.jpg

FMIC_034_640x480.jpg

FMIC_037_640x480.jpg

FMIC_038_640x480.jpg

FMIC_041_640x480.jpg

Kev looks awesome, exactly how i like it, stealthy and functional at the same time, welded pipes look really clean too, was it tricky getting it through the engine etc?

Also out of interest, i been trying to find a decent paint to spray pipework etc.. what did you use? satin hammerite?

I used simoniz tough black, and it came out really orange peely, didnt set so nicely as it was so thick.. light even coats from a distance, light sanding down 20 mins between each coat, still no luck... any advice?

Thanks. You will be able to see it through the lower bumper grills, but hopefully it won't be too obvious.

A credit to the guy who made the pipes, they were very easy to fit.

As for the paint, only time will tell. It's hammerite BBQ paint......but.......I feel I may need to repaint as I'm dubious to it's strength. Good for high temps, but I'm thinking not so good for stone chips. The finish is amazing though. It went on real easy and level. No sanding required.......I had previously washed the parts in my dishwater so they were all fresh and lemony clean :)

lol.. its looks good, im gunna try the hammerite, the good thing about it, you can just respray it once the stone chips start to show, i took my splitter off and sprayed it again recently, didnt take long at all.

looks good mate, any pics of where it attaches to the turbo...

What size are the pipes?

It's 2" straight off the turbo and then 2.5" for the rest of the run. I believe it was designed for a k03/s turbo using the original turbo to IC pipe. I have IHI so I've inserted an extra bend to fit. I'll grab a picture later.

Got round to fitting my FMIC today. It went pretty smoothly as this is a second hand kit so I knew it would fit. Thanks to Gavin (H100VW) on here for the pipes. May your old A3 rest in peace.

I ended up painting the intercooler and pipes black as I like the look. Just have to cut and fit the bumper tomorrow, but most of the hard work is done.

Hope you don't mind me posting in your thread.

FMIC_006_640x480.jpg

FMIC_011_640x480.jpg

FMIC_021_640x480.jpg

FMIC_022_640x480.jpg

FMIC_032_640x480.jpg

FMIC_034_640x480.jpg

FMIC_037_640x480.jpg

FMIC_038_640x480.jpg

FMIC_041_640x480.jpg

Looks great!.

Fancy selling me your old SMIC? :whistle2:

Looks good imo. I like the satin black look. I considered painting at least the IC black but there was just no time. Pipe setup a bit different than S3 but the snugness around the tow hook made me optimistic about refitting the pipes AND keeping the fogs.

And no problem you posting here...the more the better :)

Thanks for the comments. Managed to finish it off today. Quite a bit of cutting required for the lower part of the bumper. One of the pipes bulges the bumper a little. Strange as it didn't on the last car it was fitted to. I'm not too fussed about it as overall you wouldn't notice at a glance.

Ash, here are a some pics of the pipes at the turbo. Hard to see, but you should be able to get an idea. It's just two silicone 90 bends under the heat sheild. I didn't want to take it off as the pop studs were a pain to attach first time round.

Westle, the overall cost was £226.72 :)

Dennis, I rekon with a bit of adjustment you should be able to get those foglights back in. I even managed to get the tow eye cover back in on mine.

FMIC_051_640x480.jpg

FMIC_053_640x480.jpg

FMIC_060_640x480.jpg

thanks mate i get the pic.

Strange looking n75 valve whats that all about?

ah I see, still on my n75j with no probs.:thumbsup:

Great job on the intercooler though, nice and stealthy!

I like the Black. I used the BBQ paint for calipers once, looked good for a while but not as resistant to scrapes/knocks as you said.

Satin Hamerite will probably provide a stronger coat, but it will be only as good as the primer/base coat so if the BBQ hasn't adhered very well, its prob pointless painting over it with Hamerite TBH

I like the Fit of HTC's one as we want one for the TQS eventually, but "MUST" ( she said ) Keep the fogs

Kev the car looks really good from the front. AVCR is a very good bit of kit.. what ECU are you running?

-Dennis is your sorted yet?

Stock ME3 ECU with custard code phase 3. Boost was never right but the EBC sorted that.

Going to log some temps, soon but already I can feel a difference with the new FMIC. 1.5 bar all day now without the timing pull I was seeing before due to heat soak. Well chuffed.

You have a totally cool car doode (in an indian accent).

lol, you can try it in whatever accent you like.. its all the same.. Was reading through your turbo conversion thread last night.. if there was an award for best thread.. that would defintaly be near the top.

Ok, so I sold the car but I can still give you guys some pointers and tips on how to fit a big Forge core with 2.5" outlets, keeping fogs and without cutting your bumper/grille to pieces. I'm pretty sure though that my system kept things cooler than a standard 2" Forge (with the OE squeezed tube with the MAP sensor). I think the larger/better Dahlbäck intake also worked down the temp (to some degree), but that's my opinion, I can't prove it though.

At least I knew that particular FMIC setup worked well on other cars so I wanted that...How much it was better I honestly don't know...but it worked like it should and I didn't blow any hoses off either even though I had plain ol' jubilee's...and had a remapped engine (1.58 peek).

First of all; fitting a fairly large Forge FMIC (see this page http://www.turbopower.no/intercooler.html, item no. FMINTE08) was a pain in the ***. Choosing 2.5" in/out of the cooler and 2.5" pipes all the way from the Turbo hot pipe to the intake manifold, we knew it could be done and still maintain a OE looking car WITH foggies but the setback was the time we spent trying out different things and solutions. Jesus I wouldn't do it ever again to be honest.
Others have copied "my/our" setup and even they had a tough job dooing it right too.

The biggest problem were obviously to route the pipes so that they were tucked in nice and TIGHT. You have to use two times 90 degrees at each side right away coming in/out of the cooler. You have to get the pipes inwards to the engine before you go sideways towards the wheels/fogs. You have to cut out a big chunk of plastic from each side of the big front plastic piece..No problem tho, really who needs it? It has no functions what so ever...

We had to manufacture new brackets for the foglights. We had to turn the "lid" holding the fog light switch (the thing you open to change the bulps) on the right foglight (your drivers side) so that the switch/contact were turned 180 degrees...that thing is huge and totally in the way. Brackets were a nightmare to do because the material we had at hand were crap. But they finally came in place and were much better fitted than OE (50% of the brackets were broken on my car) when we were finished...

We had to grind down 0.5cm from the backside of the grille surroundings for the fogs. This was because the pipes stuck out a little bit in that area even though the cooler were placed as low as the bumper allowed and so close to the radiator that we could manage. The grille surroundings build inwards the bumper when they are fitted so a dremmel come in handy...No biggie though and you couldn't see it unless you stuck your head in there!

It took forever to adjust the pipes (going through numerous variations on pipelength and 45/90 degree bends) but that's obvious having read this thread :)

We had to secure the bumper to the undertray with new and stronger screws...again not visible to the eye and not important really...

That's it lads...get to work and fit your large Forge/AH coler with those big 2.5" bore pipes...I think "my" setup is the largest kit possible on a S3. If it's that much better than Forge's own kit...I couldn't tell :jester:

Im copying this reply and placing it in the other pinned thread for others to see...

Good job there Dennis Moeller,a proper fmic install with correct size piping is well worth the extra effort.