S3 Factory Sat Nav Question

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying an 2001 Audi S3 which has the integrated Sat Nav system which is cool. Although im a complete novice to all this, and wondered how good it really is compared to my tomtom GO I currently use...

The chap had the original Audi CD from 2001, so its not updated version... So I was wondering is it as simple as purchasing a new updated CD and popping it in?

Also can you do postcode searches i.e navigate to a postcode, and can you get speed camera locations for it? He said you couldn't on his version but wasn't sure if the any new versions support this, so does anyone know? If not I'll keep using my tomtom! :L

Also it has the option to have a TV installed, any ideas how much wonga is needed for this? If it's sily money i wont bother.

Many thanks for your time.

SteveTDCi said:
Depends if you class £700 ish for TV as expensive !

Flip me err yes I do! Thought it would be a case of buying a tuner and installing, hmm ok thanks for that!

Do you know if the audi sat nav system can navigate to postcodes, or is there anyway of updating them to? Mine reads from a cd-rom disc on a dvd if that helps narrow down which one it is?

Thanks

no idea, I think it only takes partial postcodes. The £700 price is for the Audi tuner, you could probably go aftermarket but I would think you are still looking at £300ish + fitting. I think you can upgrade to the DVD system but it does mean a new ubit, they start around £500 I'm sure there is a post on here about it.

You put in the first 4 digits of the postcode and then you start entering the road name. It'll have a list of all the roads that have the beginning of the postcode. when you pick your road, you enter house number and off you go! As far as I know they dont pick up speed cameras.

Coss

lil_coz said:
You put in the first 4 digits of the postcode and then you start entering the road name. It'll have a list of all the roads that have the beginning of the postcode. when you pick your road, you enter house number and off you go! As far as I know they dont pick up speed cameras.

Coss

Great stuff cheers for that, is that for all the systems in general whatever edition?

all the current audi rns-d and rns-e maps only do 4-digit postcodes but its not usually a problem

the correct tv module can be retrofitted -its quite cheap from ebay or ebay.de, you need the module (usually £150-180), some sort of tv antenna system (the oem factory system uses a different aerial diversity switcher box at the back, different tv capable amps (there are 3 or 4 of them hidden around the rear screen) and a wiring loom to connect it to the back of the satnav unit, then recode the satnav with vag-com or similar.

i wouldnt bother, but you could consider a tv-in module for your satnav and an aftermarket dvd player/tv instead - although you lose the head units control of the tuner if you go this route - you'll end up with a remote infrared for the dvd/tv

dunk said:
all the current audi rns-d and rns-e maps only do 4-digit postcodes but its not usually a problem

the correct tv module can be retrofitted -its quite cheap from ebay or ebay.de, you need the module (usually £150-180), some sort of tv antenna system (the oem factory system uses a different aerial diversity switcher box at the back, different tv capable amps (there are 3 or 4 of them hidden around the rear screen) and a wiring loom to connect it to the back of the satnav unit, then recode the satnav with vag-com or similar.

i wouldnt bother, but you could consider a tv-in module for your satnav and an aftermarket dvd player/tv instead - although you lose the head units control of the tuner if you go this route - you'll end up with a remote infrared for the dvd/tv

Great stuff cheers for that, sounds like a plan!