S3 Facelift changes

ianysm

Reaction score
Just thought i'd list what i could for the changes that came with facelift models. Feel free to correct as appropriate:

ESP (Electronic stability program) with button on dash
Introduciton of symphony head unit
New gas strut design for tailgate?
New soft touch tailgate release function
New dashboard design
Heated door locks
Special order colours; Mineral gray, Crystal blue, Jaipur Red pearl, Merlin purple, Pine green, Denim blue, Brilliant blue, Azure blue, Cactus green
New headlamp design, single piece lens
Dipped beam lamps now located nearest front grill, main beam now outer lamps
Different front wings
New rear light cluster design with large clear indicator segment
Multi function steering wheel option?
New design S3 badges
Grey instrument backgrounds with new style S3 logo
18inch 9 spoke RSTT alloys an option
225bhp model BAM engine introduced late 2001 along with changes to suspension mounts

Last edited:
New gas strut design for tailgate?
I wonder if these fit the prefacelift? They are 2 stage aren't they?
New soft touch tailgate release function

The whole tailgate is different, it's solenoid activated instead of mechanical, and you have a release boot button on your keyfob remote. The softouch release function as you mentioned meant the tailgate handle is of a different design also, and I believe is made of metal, so prone to corrosion on the edges.

Heated door locks

According to my handbook, my car has this function, but I have never used it.

The Dashboard centre console is of a different design also on Facelift cars.

Thought i put the dashboard changes in there but must have accidentally deleted...Its there now though!

Think you have to use the key for the door lock heating don't you? Not normally a problem with remote locking but i guess it might come in handy one day!

ESP was optional on pre facelift as i have it,, some things you list are pretty fussy though imo, like instrument pannel only difference is the badge decal?? badges?? front wings, only difference is to alow for the facelift headlights?? heated door locks??

Bumpers, grilles, side repeaters, wings, doors, steering wheels, gear knob, interior trim, clocks all different.

oops didnt realise this was s3.. mine refers to a3's.

Last edited:
The release you guys talk about on the face lift s3 for the boot, is the key release button meant to actualy open the boot? mine just clicks and then you have to manually open up. Just wanted to check as i know with other cars the boot flicks itself up when using simlar buttons on the keys?

The release you guys talk about on the face lift s3 for the boot, is the key release button meant to actualy open the boot? mine just clicks and then you have to manually open up. Just wanted to check as i know with other cars the boot flicks itself up when using simlar buttons on the keys?

It's just pops/unlocks it, no fancy auto open feature I'm afraid.

Different steering wheel design (well centre) on facelift s3. The pre face lift clocks were grey backgrounds with the old style s3 logo, i think they placed the logo in a different place on the facelift. I think the air vent controls are illuminated on the facelift too. As someone else mentioned esp was fitted to pre facelift, but the centre console has revised buttons (smaller) with the heated seat controls moved down to the climate control panel and a cup holder added. Double din became an option along with glovebox mounted cd changer (or is this an 8p option). Cactus green was an option on the prefacelift, it was replaced by goodwood green (s3 exclusive) in 2001. Did the wing mirrors change too or was this the just on the S4?

2001/late xreg I think, not all facelift models are 225 although a lot of traders will advertise them as 225. The easiest way to identify a facelift is the headlamps and the centre console.

2001/late xreg I think, not all facelift models are 225 although a lot of traders will advertise them as 225. The easiest way to identify a facelift is the headlamps and the centre console.

Mine is a 51 reg (originally) so assume facelift with the earlier engine

Can you see if mine is a facelift from this:

P1000025.jpg

Why yeeeeeessssssss, I do believe it is! Either that or someone has gone to a lot of trouble fitting facelift headlights and a facelift grille....

Nice pad by the way!

Ahhh good to know, not that it makes any difference to me, but I suppose its better to be newer

Yeah, I think they look better personally. My is pre facelift. But I love it none the less....

Also, is it me, or does your plate say 'blow me'?

I couldn't see it from your Avatar, but that photo I just spotted it in...

If so, WICKED! :)